Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southill Joyrider

• 03-06-2014 11:57am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guy in work had his car stolen last week. Video uploaded the other day showing it having it's arse being drove out of it. Guy has dozens of videos up of all his "achievements"

I was going to link to it, but I don't want to give the guy the views.

Edit - Realised I had forgotten to add the point. Point is I was wondering why it doesn't seem to be possible to track antisocial behaviour like that. I suppose with free email addresses and prepay internet, anyone can get online, pretty much any time, and with a fair level of anonymity.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Report to the Guards and give them the link?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Point?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Give the guards the link. Also, PM the link to me please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Report profile to Google for illegal activities. He might lose his "achievements"

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I suppose my point is that I was surprised it was so easy for them to promote their illegal activity.

Guy who owns the car sent me the vid, and I know the gardai were investigating the theft, so I can only guess they know about the video.

I flagged it as illegal / dangerous activity on youtube.

• Advertisement

Report profile to Google for illegal activities. He might lose his "achievements"

Nah they just set up new accounts the following day. They just see it as another badge of honor.

The Gardai are pretty powerless to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭Comhrá

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Nah they just set up new accounts the following day. They just see it as another badge of honor.

The Gardai are pretty powerless to do anything.

The reason in a nutshell why we have so many scumbags committing crime with almost total impunity. Not the Gardai's fault, more about the lack of politicians interest or commitment to bother their holes doing anything about it.

How often do you see these little pri*ks in court with "75 previous convictions" or something similar, getting free legal aid and suspended sentences?

Mandatory prison sentences of five years for car theft might help discourage some of this wanton crime. I'm not saying prison is the complete answer but it would give some sense of appeasement to the innocent citizen deprived of his/her car or property by these scum.

tippman1 wrote: »
    The reason in a nutshell why we have so many scumbags committing crime with almost total impunity. Not the Gardai's fault, more about the lack of politicians interest or commitment to bother their holes doing anything about it.

How often do you see these little pri*ks in court with "75 previous convictions" or something similar, getting free legal aid and suspended sentences?

Mandatory prison sentences of five years for car theft might help discourage some of this wanton crime. I'm not saying prison is the complete answer but it would give some sense of appeasement to the innocent citizen deprived of his/her car or property by these scum.

Oh I agree totally. 5 years. I'd make an example of a few of them, see if that helps matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

tippman1 wrote: »

In Ireland we call it joyriding ( we trivialise it ) ...... in America they call it grand theft auto , where it sounds like the serious crime that it is . For most people it is the second most expensive purchase they will make , after buying a house , and it should be treated as such ... but I suppose shur it's not their fault Joe , they have nothing else to do Joe , they have no amenities .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

jonski wrote: »
    In Ireland we call it joyriding ( we trivialise it ) ...... in America they call it grand theft auto , where it sounds like the serious crime that it is . For most people it is the second most expensive purchase they will make , after buying a house , and it should be treated as such ... but I suppose shur it's not their fault Joe , they have nothing else to do Joe , they have no amenities .

"It's not his fault Joe, he has ADHD!" No, he's just a little p***k!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Prison in Ireland certainly isn't the answer as it's more comfortable than probably the squalor the scum live in at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

Its the sentencing and the courts I blame, grand theft auto in US minimum 3 yrs, add in previous convictions it'll add up to a lot more, no scumbag should have a badge of honour of 3 digit convictions, not even 2 digit convictions, I watched a show with Louis Theroux some time back and he interviewed some guy who'd been involved with home invasions now bear with me as I know it the opposite scale but the guy had like 700 years to serve why, each home invasion consisted of several different offenses perhaps 6 in all I cant remember, he commited and was found guilty of 7/8 home invasion robberies, used a weapon etc, each offense carried a term they added them up simples he does the rest of his life in prison, we're far to soft here regards parole, and convictions one sentence for multiple crimes, concurent terms etc, if I guy is guilty of 6 offences he should be getting 6 sentences end of, lock em up if some scally at 18/19 does 15/20 yrs for nicking 6/7 cars at 39 does he want to steal another car, unlikely !! perhaps we should be bringing in 3 strikes ! 3rd strike automatic 25yrs stack em and rack em, more jobs building and PO 's working in Jails !!!

MarkR wrote: »
    Edit - Realised I had forgotten to add the point. Point is I was wondering why it doesn't seem to be possible to track antisocial behaviour like that. I suppose with free email addresses and prepay internet, anyone can get online, pretty much any time, and with a fair level of anonymity.

Garda: Who was in the car?
    Scum: Dunno
    Garda: Why were you filming?
    Scum: Nothing else to do.
    Garda: Were you involved?
    Scum: No

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I wonder do the Gardai know who's involved here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

I wonder do the Gardai know who's involved here?
    should the sentence read, do they give a fiddlers f.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

jonski wrote: »

Call the Liveline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

This chap may not be from Southill, but rather the video is styling him that way.

I don't know how many of the posters here have been in Southill. The community of Southill has some of the most honest down to earth people you'd ever meet. Genuine communities. Please don't let this conversation descend into looking down your nose at one of the most historically deprived and neglected communities in Limerick.

Some of the biggest scumbags I've ever met in Limerick are from traditionally 'middle to upper class' families and areas.

Look at the amount of absolute donkeys in public service jobs over the years in Limerick. Jobs for the lads and their daughters and their wives. Absolute idiots. Money spent at the expense of impoverished communities. People had no problem when we were spending money in Limerick on everywhere but these communities and benefiting, including the famous national lottery funding ringfenced for Southill but spent on a Golf Course.

Disgraceful lads.

Keep the focus on this criminal and his actions, not on this community. Climb down off the high horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

There are houses in Limerick that are older than a lot of houses in Southill, and they haven't been burned out, boarded up or knocked.
    They can regenerate and build as many houses as they want up there, but the scumbags will still ruin it for the rest of those who want to get on with their lives. Manage the people, not the houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

We should stop calling crime anti social behaviour and we should insist our justice system initiates a zero tolerance to all crime.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

myshirt wrote: »
    This chap may not be from Southill, but rather the video is styling him that way.

I don't know how many of the posters here have been in Southill. The community of Southill has some of the most honest down to earth people you'd ever meet. Genuine communities. Please don't let this conversation descend into looking down your nose at one of the most historically deprived and neglected communities in Limerick.

Some of the biggest scumbags I've ever met in Limerick are from traditionally 'middle to upper class' families and areas.

Look at the amount of absolute donkeys in public service jobs over the years in Limerick. Jobs for the lads and their daughters and their wives. Absolute idiots. Money spent at the expense of impoverished communities. People had no problem when we were spending money in Limerick on everywhere but these communities and benefiting, including the famous national lottery funding ringfenced for Southill but spent on a Golf Course.

Disgraceful lads.

Keep the focus on this criminal and his actions, not on this community. Climb down off the high horses.

Went to school in St. Enda's. Does that count? :) Bad apples and a host of other factors makes it look and feel like the place has been abandoned by the state. Looking at it now, vs when I was in school, and it's gone to shít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

I was passing the entrance to Southill a few weeks ago, and there were a number of young lads on their high horses, and one lad lad on a small pony.

Disgraceful lads.

Anyone I personally know from Southill are incredibly nice and honest, as you say yourself. However, that has nothing to the do with the scumbags from the same area who are robbing cars, making sh!t out of them and burning them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Anyone I personally know from Southill are incredibly nice and honest, as you say yourself. However, that has nothing to the do with the scumbags from the same area who are robbing cars, making sh!t out of them and burning them out.

I think we have people that want us to adapt this attitude that there is nothing wrong with certain areas in any city and Limerick is not the only city (despite what some people would have you believe!) that has social problems in certain areas.There is plenty of decent law abiding people in Southill but there is an element that are causing havoc and making ordinary decent peoples lives a misery.I guess what im trying to say is that the people (who in most cases don't even reside in the relevant area area) who want us to ignore the social problems in certain areas of our cities and towns fail to realise that it is the ordinary decent residents that are suffering at the hands of criminal and anti social elements in these areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

TotallyTropical, it's the other way round in fact.

You ostracise children and alienate communities so you can build a golf course; so gards wives can get handy overpaid numbers in clerical public service positions; and tasty payoffs for absolute neglect; so middle class children can get a good education, and no other child; then you get a different socio economic profile that develops.

Some kids lives up there over the years plainly just utterly devastated and hopeless. And good kids at that. With good parents trying their best.

It's outrageous that in light of the level of suicide, drug addiction and death amongst young socioeconomic disadvantaged kids in Limerick that you are the one that feels afflicted? If there was an adjustment and revision of how this city was supposed to be run, with a focus on equality of opportunity and equitable management over the years, there are parts of Limerick and people in Limerick that owe it back in spades and spades to disadvantaged communities.

I'm not ignoring there are problems in Limerick. There are. But the problem isn't where you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

There should be no excuses made for behavior like this and my sympathy is for the owner of the car. There's many a time I leave very personal belongings like my laptop, photos etc (which I will now not stop) in the car or the booth and I can only imagine how devastated I'd be if they were gone forever by a burnt out car.

I can't understand how they're 'disadvantaged'..they have free houses (that they wreck), smart phones to record these sick videos, internet access to upload the videos, green areas to play sport, short distances from gyms, swimming pools, colleges, etc. It's the attitude that's the problem.

Those areas look disadvantaged as a result of what they have done to them. There would be no difference between those houses (if they were maintained) which they got for nothing and houses in other areas of the city where people are working hard to pay the mortgage.
    If they were up every morning working 9-5 and and paying a mortgage would they be as quick to burn their houses..I think not..easy to do it when you get it for nothing.

This excuse of having nothing to do wrecks my head. Could they not be out kicking a ball, going to the gym, involved in sport, looking for a job,applying for a course, cutting the lawn etc. By looking at one of those videos they have more than enough to do by starting off with showing respect for tax payers by cleaning and maintaining houses they have been given for nothing.

Whether there are nice people living in that area or not the place looks shocking. They should really be ashamed to let their community go to a state that resembles nothing more than squalor of a third world country. Not only that but they have destroyed the reputation of Limerick city. Dublin and Cork have their problem areas but this area looks much worse than anywhere I've seen compared to those cities (Google street view will verify this).

If you ask me there's too much excuses made for them with freebies and benefits given with nothing in return or effort made. To throw it back in tax payers faces by stealing their cars is inexcusable as far as I'm concerned. Nobody, 'disadvantaged' or not has the licence to disrespect anyone else or feel entitled to steal cars to feed their corrupt minds. Kids are born and exposed to this vicious circle by having parents who see nothing wrong and feel very much entitled to live their whole lives sponging off the state..never to learn a basic concept of life of working hard and having goals to achieve things you need and want in life. It's unhealthy for the mind not to have this mindset. This vicious cycle needs to be broken; how to go about doing it I'm unsure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭893bet

Can you clarify your thoughts on why the decent people should be ashamed of letting their community end up looking like third world squalor?

Your post is full of arrogance and hubris. Filled with hyperbole and thanks whoring IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post:

If posters want to turn this into a Southill (or any other area for that matter) is great/crap type debate, then take it somewhere else. Sweeping generalisations do not do an area any favours, and to be brutally honest they do not do any favours to those making such generalisations.

This thread was started to discuss car theft and the putting up of youtube videos by the car thieves/those who know the car thieves. It is NOT a thread to try to have a pop at an area and all of those living there, and it is NOT a thread for spouting pop psychology on how to fix the supposed ailments of an area.

So if anyone feels that they would be unable to comment in this thread without making sweeping generalisations or feel that they would be unable to stay on topic, then I suggest finding some other thread and topic to occupy themselves with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Hi,

MAZDA MX-3
    Black, 2 door saloon
    REG: 93-D-41244

Stolen from : Cois Na Grudan, Castletroy
    Stolen at : Sunday, 7th September

Please keep an eye out, its my mates car. The brakes were gone on it, so hopefully the cnuts are in a wall somewhere around Limerick, before they post it on their Youtube channel. Why can't the guards shut down that channel.

mckSuk.jpg
    BfNtRn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Why is a stolen car seemingly treated as a minor crime ? Any time I've dealt with the gardai over theft issues - the first question is "Are you insured?".

We need to have car theft treated seriously - like Grand Theft Auto is a felony offence in the USA, and a felony by definition is punishable by death or at least one year in prison ( as opposed to a Misdemeanour ).

Seems car theft in Ireland is not a serious crime, the 2nd most expensive item most of us will ever buy ..... and some flute can take it with little fear of consequences ... mad ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Clearer photo of car stolen last night...

BazkLZ.jpg
    bGtXSk.jpg

Advertisement