Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing dog whizz smell from patio?

• 03-06-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

We decided to get the dog to do his business on the patio rather than the grass (he killed too much of the garden). Unfortunately, now there is a wicked smell from the patio, despite scrubbing with boiling water and fairy.
    I have heard of using vinegar and other enzyme cleaners to break it down, just wondering what people here have had success with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We use this and have been on the same bottle for the best part of year :
    http://mistralie.co.uk/products/odourfresh-pet-disinfectant-premium

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

tk123 wrote: »
    We use this and have been on the same bottle for the best part of year :
    http://mistralie.co.uk/products/odourfresh-pet-disinfectant-premium

Nice one thanks for this link:D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

That looks the right job. I don't want to be stuck with the smell for another week though waiting on delivery. Anything else I can do in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

robocode wrote: »
    That looks the right job. I don't want to be stuck with the smell for another week though waiting on delivery. Anything else I can do in the meantime?
    Jeyes Fluid maybe?

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Jeyes Fluid maybe?

I heard it's bad for the dogs paws if there is any left. I'd obviously give it a good wash down, but would still be worried.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Savlon/Dettol??

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Savlon/Dettol??

I tried some diluted Dettol to no avail. I was going to try some Milton and/or Vinegar this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I use biological washing powder/liquid mixed with water and find this successful in removing any smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Mo60 wrote: »
    I use biological washing powder/liquid mixed with water and find this successful in removing any smell.

The bio would get rid of the smell alright, the only thing is don't you use it when you want to deter a dog/cat from going in that same place any more, ie it disguises the smell to them as well? So it might stop your dog going on the patio any more!

He has gone there so often now I don't think it would stop him altogether. I'll take the risk though, the smell is awful at times, especially in the sun over the last few days! Any particular brand, or ratios to mix with water?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

He has gone there so often now I don't think it would stop him altogether. I'll take the risk though, the smell is awful at times, especially in the sun over the last few days! Any particular brand, or ratios to mix with water?

Any brand of biological would do. I usually use a small handful to a bucket of water - maybe as the smell is so bad you could start with a stronger mix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Personally I swear by odorxit (it works out at about 5 EUR / litre if you buy concentrated) but you need to pay a lot up front for it to help recover shipping and customs (i.e. I'd never go below 2 bottles per order). They attach a very detailed set of instructions for a ton of various smells in the box and an extensive chemical listing for customs purposes (to avoid it being rejected).

So far I've not found anything better (and I've tried a few other like Dog-It, bicarbonate and vinegar etc. which works on fresh stuff but not dried in pee).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I tried some diluted Dettol to no avail. I was going to try some Milton and/or Vinegar this evening.

Well i bring the dog in the house at night, go out and pour Savlon straight from the bottle and let it stand for a few mins, boil the kettle and pour slowly on top of it. You can smell the savlon for a few days after doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

To be honest OP you need to give it a good clean once per year, I usually hire out a diesel power hose.
    I clean everywhere within an inch of its life…. its brilliant works very well, then once per month I clean with my hose and jeves fluid, you will need to wash if off really well as it’s not good for your dog’s paws etc.

But def. to get it properly cleaned once per year you should blast it with a proper power hose.

Just my opinion anyway

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Bread soda. But you have to use it at least once a fortnight. It deoderises the pee. I sprinkle it liberally on the 'action' spots and I let the rain wash it away. It works for me.

Advertisement