Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike bag on SailRail to London?

• 03-06-2014 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Did anyone try taking a bike bag as luggage on a SailRail to the UK? I have enquired about booking a bike but it's almost impossible - it can't be booked right through with the passenger - you have to book the bike seperately with Irish Rail, the ferry company and British National Rail for each leg and that six separate bookings for a return journey.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If your a walk on passenger (in this case sail and rail) you do not book the bike, you just hand it over as luggage and they put it in the foot passengers luggage van.

British rail it is free to book bikes, just make sure you do it as some of the conductors power trip. You do this at the first station you arrive at and they should be able to book it the whole way through, free of charge.

As for Irish rail, I think you are looking at 12 euro each way (that could be bus eireann, I forget now) and they can be a PITA about it as you won't have one of their tickets to link it too. There are two ways to do it, try at the station and hopefully they will just tell you to get on as they can't get around the no ticket to link it too, just pay for the bike on board when the inspector comes around. Unless at a big station, I just put the bike on and no one has ever queried it, at the larger stations, I have never been asked for a ticket once I had a valid ticket for the journey. Make sure that the train has bike spaces before you get arrive (they can put it in the hold but they can be annoyed at having a little extra work to do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

'British rail it is free to book bikes, just make sure you do it as some of the conductors power trip. You do this at the first station you arrive at and they should be able to book it the whole way through, free of charge.'

The ferry co. have told me that the trains take only two bikes, and I have to book the bike with them in advance??

I thought SailRail would be a hassle free way to travel, but I think I'm changing my mind. I had bad experiences before with Irish Rail and a bike.

fixie fox wrote: »
    'British rail it is free to book bikes, just make sure you do it as some of the conductors power trip. You do this at the first station you arrive at and they should be able to book it the whole way through, free of charge.'

The ferry co. have told me that the trains take only two bikes, and I have to book the bike with them in advance??

I thought SailRail would be a hassle free way to travel, but I think I'm changing my mind. I had bad experiences before with Irish Rail and a bike.

The last four times I have been on sail and rail with my bike, I did not pre book. I just hopped on the train most of the times. Most people stay in the space between carriages and the conductors don't seem to care, I have seen 10+ bikes on trains that only had 2 spaces. Another train company put it into the delivery section (where they carry parcels and store the cleaners stuff). The only issue I ever had was one of the platform conductors/personnel came over to me and asked had I pre booked the bike to which I said no. She told me I should book it in as Virgin could be a PITA and might not let me get on. I had to jog/hop across the station to get a printed ticket for the bike with only a minute to spare.

The only real issue you might have is if the ferry you come in on means the ticket station is not open then you might not be able to do it but I have never had an issue, you will one of the first people on the train as its the terminal of the line and the chances of too many bikes is slim.

The only place you might have issues is Ireland, the British rail companies are alot more accommodating in my experience. The only thing you should check is will the sail and rail cover both sides of the pond. I thought it was for train journeys on one side only (but I live in Dublin so it has no affect on me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Irish Rail, on the majority of their trains, only have 2 bike spaces. They are usually in D or E carriage. Most trains don't have a "guards carriage" and bike spaces are limited to 2 per train and normally 6e per trip so 12e return.

AFAIK the only exception to this is the Enterprise service to/from Belfast which has a "guards carriage" and therefore it is not necessary to pre-book ( http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/bicycle-information )

Haven't traveled by train in Britain with a bicycle but I believe bicycles are "free" on British trains. I think this is why the Enterprise is the only Irish rail service with free bicycles transport.

I haven't used sail & rail so not sure how you go about booking a train & bike spot in Ireland or Britain. Might be worth giving Irish Rail a ring or ping them on FB/Twitter.

EDIT:
    Just re-read your original post and not sure how it works for a bike bag as I have only traveled with Irish Rail with a "ready to roll" bicycle. I would have thought that a bike bag would be treated as just another piece of luggage ?? Obviously a somewhat large piece of luggage but it is just a piece of luggage. Just make sure you pack & protect it well. I have some numpty chuck a pram and a load of suitcases on my bike the last time I traveled on Irish Rail. The booking system seats you at the far end of the carriage to your bicycle - more super Irish logic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just about to book a sail/rail to London. What is the best company to book with? Irish Ferries or Stena line?

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Just about to book a sail/rail to London. What is the best company to book with? Irish Ferries or Stena line?
    Are you going from Dublin or Rosslare?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dublin is probably easier for me

Dublin is probably easier for me
    I have been with both from Dublin, not much of a difference, what you need to look at are the timings of arrivals. Is there a train to where you want to go soon after arrival (about an hour later usually gives sufficient time)? The late night ones will leave you waiting for a couple of hours in Holyhead but the 2am ones will leave you in with time for the first trains at 6am or the 8am ones will leave you there for about a 12noon train.

I know one let me cycle on, and the other didn't want me too but I can't remember which is which and I am certain that I ignored the ticket person and went round to the cars to get on with them. Its quicker and easier with a tiny climb at the end. If you let your bike get put aboard the luggage van you have to wait an extra bit of time on the other side. Can be slippy on the metal ramp in wet weather though so don't try anything fancy.

I've to bring gear for a 4 days of cycling/living so more than likely be boarding on foot. Heading to London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭circular flexing

With the exception of the Irish Ferries Swift (which I don't recommend anyway), the Stena/Irish Ferries boats leave and arrive at roughly the same times I think (though one of the Irish Ferries vessels can't take foot passengers). I've been on both recently (not as a cyclist but as a foot passenger) and have to say I prefer Irish Ferries.

• Advertisement

Also don't take the ferry any weekend there is a liverpool match on, either of them, unpleasant memories but it can be amusing to sit as far back as possible and watch a real life WWF.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Also don't take the ferry any weekend there is a liverpool match on, either of them, unpleasant memories but it can be amusing to sit as far back as possible and watch a real life WWF.

I'll be going on a Tuesday and returning on a monday. Is it that bad?

I'll be going on a Tuesday and returning on a monday. Is it that bad?

You should be fine, no ground ball for awhile if its in the near future

i'm going in August so the premiership will be back by then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

With the exception of the Irish Ferries Swift (which I don't recommend anyway), the Stena/Irish Ferries boats leave and arrive at roughly the same times I think (though one of the Irish Ferries vessels can't take foot passengers). I've been on both recently (not as a cyclist but as a foot passenger) and have to say I prefer Irish Ferries.

Can I ask why you aren't a fan of the Swift ferry? I think it's great! I've only ever take it in calm conditions, mind you. But it was super quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭circular flexing

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Can I ask why you aren't a fan of the Swift ferry? I think it's great! I've only ever take it in calm conditions, mind you. But it was super quick.

I've taken it before in calm conditions and it was great. I took it in not so calm conditions and it was a nightmare. Pretty much everyone on the boat was vomiting and all you could do was sit down and hold on - going to the toilet was even out of the question. Just not a very pleasant experience.

And in not so calm conditions, it cannot operate at full speed anyway, so can end up being as slow as the slow ferry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I've taken it before in calm conditions and it was great. I took it in not so calm conditions and it was a nightmare. Pretty much everyone on the boat was vomiting and all you could do was sit down and hold on - going to the toilet was even out of the question. Just not a very pleasant experience.

And in not so calm conditions, it cannot operate at full speed anyway, so can end up being as slow as the slow ferry.

Yikes! Guess I've been lucky so.

I'm heading on Tuesday. Can I just roll up with the bike or does it need to be packed away? Finding it very hard to get an answer

I'm heading on Tuesday. Can I just roll up with the bike or does it need to be packed away? Finding it very hard to get an answer

Roll up with the bike, Sail and rail they will take it in the luggage van if you want, cycling ticket you can either cycle up or put it in the van. I try and cycle up if allowed as it means a far quicker departure on the far side.

Just check that the ferry you are going for takes foot passengers first, usually one sailing a day won't take either cyclists or foot passengers butit will make this clear if you try and book online as it will only give you the options available for your transport choice.

• Advertisement

booked on and paid for the bike already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Heading over myself in Sept for a 600k audax. Do I need to strip the bike of gear on the UK trains? Lock it to something? Guard's van or in-carriage rack?

booked on and paid for the bike already

Rock up and cycle on where the cars are going on, you might have to call into the office first, can't remember that, think I had too to get the ticket printed. If you've paid for the bike it means you've paid to go up the ramp so you will be there quicker. Remember to head down with the lorry drivers on the other side as they will let you rollout first for safety. If your not comfy with that just drop it in to them and get it put in the luggage van.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Rock up and cycle on where the cars are going on, you might have to call into the office first, can't remember that, think I had too to get the ticket printed. If you've paid for the bike it means you've paid to go up the ramp so you will be there quicker. Remember to head down with the lorry drivers on the other side as they will let you rollout first for safety. If your not comfy with that just drop it in to them and get it put in the luggage van.

I'll have to see how big the bags I am bringing with me!

Just booked the bike in with Virgin return. If it all goes to plan its actually a very handy service

Advertisement