Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus compensation for costs associated with strike

Options
  • 03-06-2014 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

I was supposed to head back from Spain on the 30th May, but had to take a later flight a few days later due to the strike.

Obviously this meant I had to pay for additional days car rental, accommodation, etc.

What are the chances I could get a refund for these additional costs (I have the receipts), and which channel do I go down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

none whatsoever and in any case it was the unions that called the strike, not aer lingus.

They gave sufficient notice of cancellation too.

If you have travel insurance, then you could claim off that if the policy had that included.

or sue the union!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

dang!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Well Aer Lingus could put a positive spin on this strike by offering a significant voucher/coupon/discount on a future flight booking. I'm very surprised nothing has been announced. They didn't even offer something as simple as free drinks (non-alcoholic) on all the flights that were affected.

The "potential" cancellations followed by actual flight cancellations caused untold inconvenience and costed all of us passengers money. For me and my wife it was one extra night hotel and many hours of my time (time is money) finding alternative flights, calling Aer Lingus twice, cancelling one hotel, changing train ticket dates, and rearranging my itinerary. Instead of flying into Berlin on Friday I had to fly to Prague on Thursday.

Travel insurance won't cover lost time and frustration so I hope Aer Lingus makes the smart move and offers something to make up for all this. As a comparable example, if you are bumped from a US flight because of overbooking (an unfortunate and unfair flying problem in the US) you are given a replacement flight plus typically several hundred dollars in flight vouchers (varies based on the flight and inconvenience). Aer Lingus has offered nothing other than the ability to get a refund or book a different flight - not even close to compensation in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Airlines have such a small margin, that they cant be giving customers money for hotels and flights. I imagine Aer Lingus only makes a few euro on each flights and if they are the only airlines that offer affordable flights from Ireland to other European cities. You will still book with them again even if they cost you a few hundred euros from a strike

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ScottSF wrote: »
    They didn't even offer something as simple as free drinks (non-alcoholic) on all the flights that were affected.

How can you offer free drinks on a flight that's been cancelled :confused:

Or by 'affected' do you mean that some flights did get away but were delayed by the strike?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

ScottSF wrote: »
    As a comparable example, if you are bumped from a US flight because of overbooking (an unfortunate and unfair flying problem in the US) you are given a replacement flight plus typically several hundred dollars in flight vouchers (varies based on the flight and inconvenience). Aer Lingus has offered nothing other than the ability to get a refund or book a different flight - not even close to compensation in my book.

Not at all comparable, totally different scenarios and legal obligations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

mrcheez wrote: »
    I was supposed to head back from Spain on the 30th May, but had to take a later flight a few days later due to the strike.

Obviously this meant I had to pay for additional days car rental, accommodation, etc.

What are the chances I could get a refund for these additional costs (I have the receipts), and which channel do I go down?

OP, if you opted for a full refund of the flight costs then you're not entitled to anything. It really depends on how far in advance AL cancelled your flight. If AL provided you with the re-routing and the only flight that was available from Spain was on the day that you traveled home, then AL is liable for the costs of accommodation, meals and refreshments, and the travel costs from the hotel out to the Airport. You're not entitled to claim for the extra days care hire under the regulation. Given the cancellation was due to a strike, you're also not entitled to claim any monetary compensation. Read up on Regulation 261.

http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/the_eu_and_you/faq/air_travel/index_en.htm#5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

hfallada wrote: »
    Airlines have such a small margin, that they cant be giving customers money for hotels and flights. I imagine Aer Lingus only makes a few euro on each flights and if they are the only airlines that offer affordable flights from Ireland to other European cities. You will still book with them again even if they cost you a few hundred euros from a strike

Just with regards to this there was a very interesting speech given at the IATA conference that the average post-tax profit per passenger in 2014 is $5.42.
    http://skift.com/2014/06/02/the-state-of-airline-industry-100-years-in/

Advertisement