Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any small animals breeders (hamsters/rats) in Dublin?

Options
  • 03-06-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Does anyone know if there are hamsters or rat breeders in Dublin? I would prefer going directly to them instead of going to a pet shop. Thanks! =)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Does anyone know if there are hamsters or rat breeders in Dublin? I would prefer going directly to them instead of going to a pet shop. Thanks! =)

What are you looking for OP? There's a few places that rescue small animals, which could be a good option if you don't want to support pet shops that use rodent mills. Although I have to say, there are petshops that do their own breeding and look after their little guys well- I would highly recommend Shauna's Pet Shop (Capel STt.) for hamsters at least, they both breed themselves (and are aware and well able to discuss genetics and implications of breeding certain types together) and have a couple of owners/ casual personal breeders that they get their hamsters from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mucarock.kw

The thing that makes me not want to go to a rescue is that hamsters/rats don't live as long as other pets, and I would like to experience them since they were young. I'll take a look in the pet shop you mentioned, sounds like a good place! Oh, and sorry but I have no idea what "OP" stands for hehe =)

The thing that makes me not want to go to a rescue is that hamsters/rats don't live as long as other pets, and I would like to experience them since they were young. I'll take a look in the pet shop you mentioned, sounds like a good place! Oh, and sorry but I have no idea what "OP" stands for hehe =)

Oh, 'OP' justmeans "original poster", it's boards-speak for the person who started the thread.

I understand what you mean about them not living for very long- I am a hamster owner and am always heartbroken when my little guys pass on. But remember that the older ones that are "left" in shops past the cute and tiny stage will often be left there for a very long time. That doesn't mean they can't make awesome pets- my little girl Isabella was 6 months when we got her, and you couldn't have asked for a sweeter, more lovable and friendly pet. The idea of giving them a loving home that they might never have has always swayed me into getting a slightly older ham!!!

Oh, and make sure you do your research about getting a hamster or a rat. They may seem similar because they're rodents but they have VERY different needs as pets, including companionship of their own kind (rats & dwarf hamster varieties), solitary living (Syrian hamsters), different cage needs, toys, stimulation, sleep patterns, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I'd echo what Baby and Crumble said but if you're looking for a Syrian Hamster I know someone very reputable with a 2 month old looking for a good home. PM me for pics and details. ;)

Oh, 'OP' justmeans "original poster", it's boards-speak for the person who started the thread.

I understand what you mean about them not living for very long- I am a hamster owner and am always heartbroken when my little guys pass on. But remember that the older ones that are "left" in shops past the cute and tiny stage will often be left there for a very long time. That doesn't mean they can't make awesome pets- my little girl Isabella was 6 months when we got her, and you couldn't have asked for a sweeter, more lovable and friendly pet. The idea of giving them a loving home that they might never have has always swayed me into getting a slightly older ham!!!

Oh, and make sure you do your research about getting a hamster or a rat. They may seem similar because they're rodents but they have VERY different needs as pets, including companionship of their own kind (rats & dwarf hamster varieties), solitary living (Syrian hamsters), different cage needs, toys, stimulation, sleep patterns, etc.

Oh I know, I will start considering rescuing one, it totally makes sense... I do have 2 female Robo hamsters since march and they were bought in a pet shop in Parnell St., they are lovely and I am seriously considering getting another small animal (obviously to be kept separate) so I posted this here (I would prefer not buying from a Pet Store)! =)
    anniehoo wrote: »
    I'd echo what Baby and Crumble said but if you're looking for a Syrian Hamster I know someone very reputable with a 2 month old looking for a good home. PM me for pics and details. ;)

Thanks, will do! =)

• Advertisement

That's great, OP, I just always like to ensure that folks know what they're getting into with hamsters and other rodents as pets... I'm kinda passionate about it, so many (not referring to you!!) people think they are easy or disposable pets, and don't take the time to really understand their needs. It drives me mad when I see hamsters in tiny, completely unsuitable cages with nothing to stimulate them, and don't get handled or played with at all.

I know the shop you mean and TBH I'd understand you not wanting to support shops like that. I'm not a big fan of most small petshops, but the place I referred to in my initial response is one of the best ones out there, in my opinion. I also do like Maxi Zoo, as a rule I'm always impressed with how clean and stimulating their cages are in store for the animals they house waiting for homes. They always have wheels, toys and good sized nests/ houses for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

What are you looking for OP? There's a few places that rescue small animals, which could be a good option if you don't want to support pet shops that use rodent mills. Although I have to say, there are petshops that do their own breeding and look after their little guys well- I would highly recommend Shauna's Pet Shop (Capel STt.) for hamsters at least, they both breed themselves (and are aware and well able to discuss genetics and implications of breeding certain types together) and have a couple of owners/ casual personal breeders that they get their hamsters from.
    I second the recommendation for Shauna's pet shop, I know the owner and a few employees, and they're all animal lovers that keep all types of animals themselves. It's one of the very small number of pet shops I trust.

That's great, OP, I just always like to ensure that folks know what they're getting into with hamsters and other rodents as pets... I'm kinda passionate about it, so many (not referring to you!!) people think they are easy or disposable pets, and don't take the time to really understand their needs. It drives me mad when I see hamsters in tiny, completely unsuitable cages with nothing to stimulate them, and don't get handled or played with at all.

I know the shop you mean and TBH I'd understand you not wanting to support shops like that. I'm not a big fan of most small petshops, but the place I referred to in my initial response is one of the best ones out there, in my opinion. I also do like Maxi Zoo, as a rule I'm always impressed with how clean and stimulating their cages are in store for the animals they house waiting for homes. They always have wheels, toys and good sized nests/ houses for them.
    I second the recommendation for Shauna's pet shop, I know the owner and a few employees, and they're all animal lovers that keep all types of animals themselves. It's one of the very small number of pet shops I trust.

Thanks for all the help! =)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Love it when a plan comes together. Well done OP for adopting Norman. Just saw his update on Facebook. Best of luck with him and hope you come back and post pics ;)

anniehoo wrote: »
    Love it when a plan comes together. Well done OP for adopting Norman. Just saw his update on Facebook. Best of luck with him and hope you come back and post pics ;)

Ah was that the op? Norman is gorgeous!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement