Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way from City centre to Fota island?

Options
  • 03-06-2014 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

I'm coming down from Dublin to work the Irish Open on Fota island and I'm trying to sort out travel/accommadation. Can someone tell me if this would be viable: stay in hostel on MacCurtain street, get the train from Kent station to Castleview station, walk/taxi to Fota resort? (Got all this from google maps so could be way off).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No such place as Castleview station, it's Fota (Island) station you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭JeremyH

You can get a train directly to Fota

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/fota

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

No such place as Castleview station, it's Fota (Island) station you're looking for.

Castleview Station is more commonly known as Little Island but no idea if its the correct one for the golf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Andip wrote: »
    Castleview Station is more commonly known as Little Island but no idea if its the correct one for the golf

You'd have a fair trot from Little Island to Fota Island resort!
    Never ever heard it being called Castleview, must be a Google Maps typo or some sort of affectation to make 'D'Island' more glam than it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Planemo wrote: »
    I'm coming down from Dublin to work the Irish Open on Fota island and I'm trying to sort out travel/accommadation. Can someone tell me if this would be viable: stay in hostel on MacCurtain street, get the train from Kent station to Castleview station, walk/taxi to Fota resort? (Got all this from google maps so could be way off).

Sounds doable.

"A special entrance to the golf course, just a short walk from Fota Station, has also been organised by the European Tour – so that travelling by train to Fota for the 2014 Irish Open at Fota Island Resort is made easy for everyone.

Fota Station, on the busy Cork to Cobh Commuter Rail Line, already has 23 trains a day from Cork every weekday – and Iarnród Éireann / Irish Rail said that it is planning to increase the frequency of its trains to Fota and add additional capacity to cater for the expected demand wishing to attend the 2014 Irish Open at Fota in June."

http://www.ittn.ie/bulletins/take-train-fota-irish-open-gold/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,make sure you dont take a wrong turn when you leave the train at Fota.The new tiger enclosure is nearby.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You'd have a fair walk from the station to the beginning of the golf course - that's the only thing to take into consideration. I'm pretty sure they're at opposite ends of the island, aren't they?

Anyway, it's entirely doable, but practice it the day before to get an idea of how long the walk is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sandj2014

Try giving the hotel a ring and see if there are any arrangements in place for staff travelling from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Strangely enough, if you look on the Fota Resort website is suggests Glounthaune & then taxi

http://www.fotaisland.ie/How-to-Find-Us

"Travelling by Train
    Look for Kent Station in Cork and take the Midleton train eastbound. It is a short 15 minute train journey from Cork and then just a 5 minute taxi ride from Glonthaune station to Fota Island Resort."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Once you get off at the Fota Station, it's a short walk and you'll reach the course on the 5th Hole teebox and the 4th Green. If you have a map of the course you can then navigate your way around from that point of reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

They'll have signs in FOTA and Irish Rail will likely have staff down there to help people.

Advertisement