Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple's new language Swift- a labour issue

Options
  • 03-06-2014 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

So, Apple has unveiled a new programming language, Swift, which will absolutely be something that all iOS devs will need to learn and get up to speed on quickly.

In my opinion, in any other industry, a major change like this to the fundamental tools of the trade(as I see it) would be accommodated with a paid retraining period by the employer, and unions would ensure that this happened. Yet not so in software development. Already I am seeing friends reading the iBook in their own free time in order to train up.

Discuss.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's an additional tool to add to your current toolset, not a replacement for it.

The friends reading the book already while you contemplate the labour rights implications. They will be the ones earning more than you in a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Should probably point out I am not a mobile developer(and this is one of the reasons why I am not, the walled garden and enforced use of certain tools) so I am not personally affected by this.

I'm not sure which walled garden you're referring to, there are dozens of commercial development languages.

Getting up to speed quickly on new languages/practices is considered personal professional development by a lot of employers and employees. Something which both parties should share responsibility for. Personally, I think that's much better than the 1970's shop steward approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

and don't ever become a developer with an attitude like that. no offence intended, you will just not last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Very disappointing, I asked this question in a few other places and got the same reaction, even anger from some spaces. I personally forsee problems going forward as the app bubble bursts and improved education increases the supply of talented developers. Now is the time to put in place the industry protections to protect us going forward, but clearly there is little mainstream interest.

I am a developer myself, but since college my only experience has been almost 4 years at my own startup. Now that that has folded, I am unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

any links to other places you asked, i'd be interested to see the reaction.

i don't think the app bubble will burst. but even if it does, i'll move onto something new like everybody else.

do you really think more and more coders won't be needed in the future? software is eating the world according to marc andreessen which is a bit hyperbolic but rings true to me.

i think devs are human capital, not labour. you've human capital in the knowledge to create an app and upload to the mobile stores. you don't need anyone else.

I personally forsee problems going forward as the app bubble bursts and improved education increases the supply of talented developers.

If you believe that, then all the more reason to keep investing in yourself by keeping pace with the rapid changes in the industry.

As for the app market being a bubble, that's another of you statements I disagree with. The market for Apps is only going to increase as penetration of mobile devices continues to rise and apps take up their place in entirely new markets like home automation, health, broadcast media, advertising etc etc etc.

Have you anything to backup the 'app bubble' prediction? Are people stock-piling apps causing app prices to surge? Are mobile app companies making excessive profits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Very disappointing, I asked this question in a few other places and got the same reaction, even anger from some spaces. I personally forsee problems going forward as the app bubble bursts and improved education increases the supply of talented developers. Now is the time to put in place the industry protections to protect us going forward, but clearly there is little mainstream interest.
    To begin with, I suspect the 'app bubble' won't burst; it lacks the typical pyramid scheme-like attributes of a bubble. Demand may and will likely decrease, but more likely it will simply evolve as different devices and platforms become more popular.

As to your question, many employers already do fund the further education of employees so and have budgets in place, especially for certifications or materials. Having been only self employed, you may not be aware of this.

But this does not mean that all employers do or that all do every time Apple or Google bring out a press release on their technology road map. And in this regard IT does not differ to even the protected professions; doctors are constantly reading up on new techniques and discoveries, as are accountants on new regulations and taxes. And they also tend to do so on their own time.

At the end of the day it is an investment in the employee, not in the company. If the employee leaves, they take that training with them and use it to demand a better package in their next role. The company will only benefit while you remain with them and while there is value in that, it's worth a lot more to the employee than to them.
    I am a developer myself, but since college my only experience has been almost 4 years at my own startup. Now that that has folded, I am unemployed.
    This just underlines that you're commenting on something you have no direct experience of. I've been an employee, a contractor/freelancer and an employer. There's a delicate balance in the employee/consultant-employer/client relationship, which can often end up being abused by the latter, but what you're proposing is arguably actually the opposite abuse by the former.

Advertisement