Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lipo Charger

• 03-06-2014 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

I have a smart charger and an adapter for deans and was wondering if I charge a 7.2 lipo with it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

What type of smart charger, name, make, model or even a pic, as it's hard to answer without knowing which charger you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭FizzyCola

You need a lipo charger to charge lipo batteries. Some chargers can charge all type of batteries but a lot are specific to lipo batteries or Nimh batteries.

Check yours to see does it have the white slots to plug in the extra cable on a lipo. You need that cable plugged in to balance the cells of the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭SuperBlu26

Thanks. This is the charger I have and the adapters. Is it any good?

3444k7r.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

That charger is not suitable. Well, you could charge a lipo, but you have no means of balancing the cell charge which will lead to failure in fairly short order. You'll notice that lipo batteries have two sets of wiring, of which the smaller block is a balance connector. A decent charger suitable for lipos should have connectors for both at the same time *

* There are chargers meant for small lipo batteries (i.e. <850mah) that can charge of the balance alone.

Ok thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

SuperBlu26 wrote: »
    Ok thanks!

A decent charger will be able to handle both lipo & Nimh batteries, and in the case of lipos also have a built in balance port.

To underscore the importance of investing in a decent charger (which everyone overlooks) one of the site regulars where I marshal has been through three 'dumb' lipo chargers in the last twelve months - can't recall the branding but respectable brand just not suitable chargers. I suspect the failure rate is because he's trying to charge "normal" capacity AEG lipos (i.e. around 1200-2000mah) off a balance port and a) charging takes an age and b) he's burning out the chargers doing so.

I could be speaking complete sh*te regards the chargers, but short of really poor quality chargers it's about the only thing that I can think of that makes any sense as to the failure rate given the size/type of batteries he's charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭FizzyCola

IMAX b6 is a very good charger that will charge all your batteries. You may need to get an adaptor or 2 depending on what cables you already have. If you go for the b6 charger make sure it has a halographic image on it. There are a lot of fakes of them but they look a bit different. They will work but you can't be sure of the quality.

Hobbyking have a good selection of chargers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Eoghan S

If you get the ImaxB6 from hobbyking, it's completely genuine.
    Have one myself and I'd highly recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

FizzyCola wrote: »
    IMAX b6 is a very good charger that will charge all your batteries. You may need to get an adaptor or 2 depending on what cables you already have. If you go for the b6 charger make sure it has a halographic image on it. There are a lot of fakes of them but they look a bit different. They will work but you can't be sure of the quality.

Hobbyking have a good selection of chargers.
    Eoghan S wrote: »
    If you get the ImaxB6 from hobbyking, it's completely genuine.
    Have one myself and I'd highly recommend them.

The iMAX B6AC (50w or 80w) is a better option, as the power pack is built in, so is more reliable and it has all of the same great charging options as the B6 + the AC comes with just about every charging cable adapter you'll need for batteries

Also, Hobby King list the fake iMAX's as such and the genuine ones as genuine, so be sure of which one you buy ;)

Hope this helps :)

Thanks! Loads of info there! I'll probably get the IMAX.

• Advertisement
Advertisement