Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll on poets and General Advice - English Paper 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Anyone got a quick run down of Dickinson and her style/techniques/recurring themes? Never enjoyed her poetry....or any poetry in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 zvseire

what about plath and heaney???? im ****eed if they dont

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I don't think Heaney would come up if he came up in P1 to be honest.

double bluff guys just watch haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Two Poets-too narrow. There are four poets put on out of eight. Thus covering five ensures 100% success. However they usually put on an Irish Poet and a woman. Heaney made an appearance Paper 1-he could still appear Paper 2 but is less likely now. Dickinson a good bet but really you should at least do WB Yeats. Your 2 poet approach too risky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Aislinggrace

b3rnade11e wrote: »
    Just wondering,would it be very risky to have done all female poets and Yeats?I cannot stand Heaney personally,as I find the poems we did bland.Thanks :)

I think you're totally covered there, as long as you're confident and prepared for any question on them!

chances of plath

Mr. G wrote: »
    I don't think Heaney would come up if he came up in P1 to be honest.

I think its a bit nasty if they dont put him on. He dies-greatest poet we ever had and all we give him is a comprehension. If Yeats is on instead of him-its like pissing on his grave!!

yeaaaaah mr white

will lady macbeth come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Daledge wrote: »
    I know it's a bit late to be asking this but can anyone see any flaw in the way I have incorporated this quote, as in are you allowed use dashes;

'Macbeth accepts the consequences of their actions - "To know my deed, 'twere best not know myself" - whereas Lady Macbeth...'

Nothing is 'too late' until 2pm tomorrow evening :)

• Advertisement

I think morrisey is a good shot this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CelestialKing

I got an A1 in my Lady Macbeth essay for my Mock with 2 sentence long quotes and a few 1 word quotes here and there, possible in the ol' LC?

I'm studying the 3 female poets exclusively, what do you reckon? Is it enough or will I revise a bit of Heaney and Mahon?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Three possible comparative, two show up - Cultural context, theme & issue, general vision & viewpoint, correct?

Anyone got a quick run down of Dickinson and her style/techniques/recurring themes? Never enjoyed her poetry....or any poetry in fact.

Vivid imagery.
    Dashes to slow or quiken pace of poem
    capitals for emphasis
    gives weight to ordinary words makes them extrardinary
    Insight into her psychological state
    Habit of reaching for extreme, sweetest, all , none etc
    Often ecstatically happy or extremely depressed
    Poems deal with death and highs and lows of the human condition
    subject matter she deals with personally but is universally relevant to her reader (death,nature and the highs and lows of life)
    off the top of my head :)

Recurring theme of mental anguish, mental breakdown all the mental stuff really, with the odd bit of Hope (hope is the thing with feathers) and love (I could bring you jewels) and nature (a bird Mae down the walk etc) and a mix of hope and mentalness in the soul has bandaged moments.

Style with Dickinson is the best of all, all you gotta know is
    No title
    Capitalisation of important words
    Dashes dashes dashes

Techniques
    Metaphors (bird as hope is "hope is the thing with feathers) and (metaphor of a funeral in order to represent the theme of mental anguish in "I felt a funeral In my brain")
    Personification (the soul has bandaged moments - soul personified it "dances")
    Repitition ("treading-treading-")
    Repeating of the words "and then" "and then" in "I heard a fly buzz when I died"

So many more also. Hope I helped!

I got an A1 in my Lady Macbeth essay for my Mock with 2 sentence long quotes and a few 1 word quotes here and there, possible in the ol' LC?

I'm studying the 3 female poets exclusively, what do you reckon? Is it enough or will I revise a bit of Heaney and Mahon?

Same !! got 96% with so few quotes
    too full of the milk of human kindness
    stop up the access and passage to remorse
    spirits that tend on mortal thoughts
    unsex me here
    Out damned spot out i say
    All the perfumes of arabia will nto sweeten this little hand

thats all i used!:cool:

zvseire wrote: »
    will lady macbeth come up?

I'm feeling lady Macbeth, If they give banquo or something like that I'm setting my paper on fire in protest

Why do so many people think Yeats is coming up also? I don't get it!

Definitely revise heaney omg

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gal555

The way we were taught with Dickinson involved merely three elements of style consistent in each of the four poems we studied.
    Then the consistent them I chose was the constant physcological turmoil.

That way the stylistic features act as enough links between each poem...makes it easier for me anyway!

We've studied Hope is the thing with feathers, I Felt a Funeral in my brain, After great pain a formal feeling comes and The Soul has bandaged moments.

The use of dashes at the end of each poem allows for the readers interpretation.
    The Imagery of the weight of oppression with ''Boots'' and ''Hour'' of lead.
    Then Capitalisation.

for fudge cake i know natting on banquo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

gal555 wrote: »
    I'd like to think he's a cert as well!
    It depends what poems you want...

Ive studied September 193, The Lake Isle of Innisfree, The Wild Swans at Coole and Sailing to Byzantium.

I don;t know if its just me....but yeats is quite a difficult one to grasp in one night

Anything you've got! Il cram him in even if I just write a couple of pages it's better than nothing I suppose :-)

gal555 wrote: »
    The way we were taught with Dickinson involved merely three elements of style consistent in each of the four poems we studied.
    Then the consistent them I chose was the constant physcological turmoil.

That way the stylistic features act as enough links between each poem...makes it easier for me anyway!

We've studied Hope is the thing with feathers, I Felt a Funeral in my brain, After great pain a formal feeling comes and The Soul has bandaged moments.

The use of dashes at the end of each poem allows for the readers interpretation.
    The Imagery of the weight of oppression with ''Boots'' and ''Hour'' of lead.
    Then Capitalisation.

Did anyone study the soul had bandaged moments and theres a certain slant of light? theyre so alike i always get them mixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gal555

UGH.
    So if I've done Dickinson and Yeats well....slightly completed Heaney.
    Do you think there's more chance of Kinsella or Larkin coming up.

Im hoping kinsella, I prefer him....and he's the only living poet that Ive studied

One more question....
    Is it always guaranteed that both a character and theme question would come up in Macbeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Only6days

Should be okay with Heaney, Yeats and Dickinson?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Only6days wrote: »
    Should be okay with Heaney, Yeats and Dickinson?

No guarantees

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭GillespieRoad

I have Heaney, Dickinson, Bishop, and Kinsella - in that order. Surely I should be okay? Would Plath, Yeats, Mahon and Larkin all come up!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Ive dickinson, heaney and yeats. I reckon Larkin will come up aswell. Plath has been up alot recently and we didnt cover Mahon or Kinsella. And I find Bishop complete unfathomable..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dcsmall

I myself stuck with Heaney, Dickinson, Larkin and Yeats. Just as a reminder two different sets of examiners wrote Paper 1 and 2 so the likely hood of Heaney coming up is still as strong as you thought it was. But two is far two narrow, I'm nervous myself and I have four, imagine if the other four came up, God help me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Recurring theme
    bb1234567 wrote: »
    Vivid imagery.

Would there be any general quotes that I could learn off that cover a few of those themes? Or even 5 poems that apply to the most amount of those themes. I only need about 4 or 5, just so I can conjure up some sort of answer if Heaney doesn't come up :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

I've in excess of 8 poems for each of my 5 poets..... I've wasted my time badly...

Advertisement