Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll on poets and General Advice - English Paper 2

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭iWin1010

Quick question do you need to use quotes throughout your comparative answer?
    I asked my teacher and she said no, but to be honest she's a sh!t teacher. I used them in my mocks and it looks like I got rewarded for it. Any suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

I'm hoping that somehow Bishop appears, if not then Yeats, and if not Yeats then Heaney. After that... Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Shane15 wrote: »
    I'm hoping that somehow Bishop appears, if not then Yeats, and if not Yeats then Heaney. After that... Done.

If bishop and mahon both come up tomorrow I'm going to leave, bullspit if they put on two poets who came up last year and I think a lot of people will agree with me on that

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aislinggrace

gal555 wrote: »
    One more question....
    Is it always guaranteed that both a character and theme question would come up in Macbeth?

Usually, but nothing is guaranteed! One of the two options should be one of those to anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Dcsmall wrote: »
    I myself stuck with Heaney, Dickinson, Larkin and Yeats. Just as a reminder two different sets of examiners wrote Paper 1 and 2 so the likely hood of Heaney coming up is still as strong as you thought it was. But two is far two narrow, I'm nervous myself and I have four, imagine if the other four came up, God help me!

I know the same 4 as you .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahkiely125

For vision and Viewpoint, the sections I have covered opening and closing scene, positive relationship, negative relationsips, marriage and language. Is this enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Anyone have tips on how to obtain full marks in a GVAV question? same for CC?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I've in excess of 8 poems for each of my 5 poets..... I've wasted my time badly...

8???????? how even im struggling with 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

bb1234567 wrote: »
    8???????? how even im struggling with 4

Yeah, I know... I didn't even realise how many I had done until I started writing down quotes for them. For Larkin and plath I've poems that aren't technically on the course though, but they're awesome! Daddy and, This be the verse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

Interested to know.. why does everyone find Emily D so easy to answer on? Is it because her poems are short and easy to remember because of their simple meter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Seymour101

jazz101 wrote: »
    Interested to know.. why does everyone find Emily D so easy to answer on? Is it because her poems are short and easy to remember because of their simple meter?

I just think her poems are easy to understand and quotes arent too bad either! For instance some of Yeats poems they are very long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. It's a lot easier to remember "I like a look of agony" or "I felt a funeral in my brain" as a line than "Turning and turning in the widening gyre" or something like that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

iWin1010 wrote: »
    Quick question do you need to use quotes throughout your comparative answer?
    I asked my teacher and she said no, but to be honest she's a sh!t teacher. I used them in my mocks and it looks like I got rewarded for it. Any suggestions??

You don't have to. It helps you back up your point a little more so if one pops into your mind write it down. I'd ask for an extra booklet for planning and any quotes that randomly come into your mind write them down, at least you won't forget them then.

You should be able to refer to back up any points you make. With comparatives, make sure you have enough compare and contrasts made and what I would do is repeat the question a lot of times so you don't go off topic.

The Pres don't count. They're not marked correctly anyway.
    For vision and Viewpoint, the sections I have covered opening and closing scene, positive relationship, negative relationsips, marriage and language. Is this enough?

How family life is represented, plot and economic conditions also. I think it can be easy to mix GVV with CC so just keep remembering what you're answering.

Make sure you make enough C&C's and don't get side tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 zvseire

can u use violence, materialism and malign influences for both cc and gvv

zvseire wrote: »
    can u use violence, materialism and malign influences for both cc and gvv

I'd be careful learning off the same thing for CC and GVV tbh because you can easily get confused between the two.

Just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭richardh330

The papers are written by different people just to let you all know, Heaney is just as likely as ever to come up!
    Irish Independent:
    Different examiners set the different papers. Predicting which poets will appear is a mug’s game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The papers are written by different people just to let you all know, Heaney is just as likely as ever to come up!

1 in 8 chance . It never changed !

True but do they not all collaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I voted Larkin and lo and behold :D was overjoyed to see his name!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gal555

Yeats, GVV, a broad enough character question in Macbeth....
    Dream paper so it was :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 LeavingCertee

The poll got three out of 8 correct, what sort of supernatural soliciting is that.. ;)

Advertisement