Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scammers calling from "Eircom" claiming fault on line

• 03-06-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Just warning everyone that the "Eircom" scammers are at it again.

Just got a call from a US (probably Skype or VoIP) number claiming to be from Eircom, and that there was a fault on my line. The guy had an Indian accent, "Jeff Wilson" no less. Fearing offending a genuine employee just using VoIP, I asked him what building he was beside, and he hung up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have been getting them daily for the past 8 months. I told the guy last week that I worked as a manager in eircom. He hung up and I have had no calls since - probably spoke too soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What exactly is the scam - do they attempt to get your credit card details or do they try to take control of your PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I've been getting these calls from 'Eircom'. This man sounds remarkably like the one who used to call from the 'Microsoft' technical department, to help with some problem they'd detected with my computer (such personal attention from Microsoft!).
    I think the 'Eircom' man's after the same thing (control of computers). He said my connection was being slowed by a 'blockage' on the line. I told him I'm not an Eircom customer, & get my broadband by fixed-wireless, and he said it must come through an Eircom line to start with. (Well yes, but again such personal attention! For all those individuals downstream of the 'blockage', too!).
    He then asked if my computer was on (I had no more time to waste, so ended the call).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Ah Jeff Wilson!!

Why don't I ever get these calls? Would love giving them the runaround..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Ah Jeff Wilson!!

Why don't I ever get these calls? Would love giving them the runaround..

They never ring when I have the time to!
    But it could be entertaining to be a bit deaf, or act like I'm using my old MSDos computer. Or go to to turn 'it' on and & start a nice noisy tractor (preferably requiring a few good whacks with a hammer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

One of the best responses to a cold caller (in this case a telemarketer rather than a scammer) that I've ever heard:

Tom Mabe: Hello?
    Telemarketer: Yes, Can I speak with Tom Mabe?
    Tom: Who’s calling?
    Tele: This is Mike . You have been selected to receive a complete digital satellite system for free. With this you’re going to-
    Tom: Let me ask you something. Did you know Tom Mabe? Were you a friend of his?
    Tele: No, I’m not. I’m just calling to offer-
    Tom: Hold that thought, hold on a second (Hey guys, get really good pictures of the body, and dust everything down for prints.) Mike, you there?
    Mike: Yeah.
    Tom: Yeah, let me bring you up to speed. You’ve actually called a murder scene. Mr Mabe is no longer with us. I’m Officer Clarke. I’m conducting a homicide investigations. I want to ask you a series of questions. First of all – what was the nature of the business you had with Tom Mabe?
    Mike: I…I had no business with him. I’m sorry to have bothered-
    Tom: No, hang on. I’m going to ask you to stay on the phone, this call has already been traced and we may need you to come in for further questioning.
    Mike: You don’t understand. I’m just calling –
    Tom: No, you don’t’ understand, unless you want to be charges with obstruction of justice, it is imperative that you keep your ass on the phone, Mike.
    Mike: How about you just talk with my supervisor?
    Tom: No, we'll get to your supervisor in a second. First, give me your whereabouts.
    Mike: I'm at work.
    Tom: You’re at work?
    Mike: Yes.
    Tom: You being a smart ass?
    Mike: No sir.
    Tom: Let me put it to you this way, Mike. Say I wanted to mail your ass a letter. What would I have to write on the outside of the envelope to ensure that the mailman would deliver it right to your ass? Geographically speaking Mike, where is work?
    Mike: 40 West Littleton, Colorado
    Tom: Now hold on that’s –
    Mike: Yes sir.
    Tom: Hold on one second alright. (Get the Littleton Police Department, Homicide Division on the phone, give them this information. Tell them that he is being sought in connection with a fatal shooting and aggravated robbery.) How do you know Mr. Mabe again?
    Mike: Wait. You are calling the Littleton Police Department? I’m hundreds of miles away. I don’t even know the guy. I’m in Colorado.
    Tom: No, don’t let that scare you, it is just a formality. Have you ever been to his place of residence?
    Mike: No!
    Tom: And tell me again, where were you last night between the hours of 8 and 10?
    Mike: I’m not feeling real comfortable about any of this.
    Tom: Have you even ever spoke with Mr. Mabe, Mike?
    Mike: No, I haven’t. I don’t even know the guy. That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you.
    Tom: Ok, great. Just calm down, hold on. Look, just back up. I’ve just got one more question for you, Mike. As you well know, I’m sure, Mr. Mabe was a flaming homosexual. And there is no easy way of asking this, I don’t want to embarrass you or nothing, but were you his gay lover?
    Mike: What? No! What the hell kind of question is that?
    Tom: Look, look. If gay is your way, that is OK. I still know there are a lot of you gay people in that closet. Not saying I haven’t thought about it myself, you know? Hop over to Las Vegas or something, buy a couple of drinks, cute little Mexican midget.
    Mike: This is ridiculous.
    Tom: Hello?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

I feel left out, I never get these phone calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please stay on topic. Constructive posting only please

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

my parents are plagued by these calls, has anyone used a successful call screener, one that learns the numbers and might cut down on the calls.

they have hung up on sky and the esb twice thinking they are scammers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭p15574

Just ignore or hang up immediately on any funny looking numbers in the caller id. Same for any call that is silent first, then connects (and so obviously some sort of computer mass-dialler).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I can spot them just by looking at the phone. I can't remember, but I think they show up as "no number" or something odd. I'm already in a bad mood because I've had to come downstairs from the office to the landline that nobody ever rings. I pick it up and say nothing (I'm in a bad mood, remember). As per p15574 above there's then silence. After 4 or 5 seconds Jeff from Bangalore comes on the line. I normally hang up then. Occasionally I wait. Then he asks for Mr Zag . . . speaking. We notice you are an Eir . . . . click, bzzzt.

Normally though, it doesn't get beyond the 4 second pause at the start of the call -that's enough for me.

z

Advertisement