Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording Query

Options
  • 03-06-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all,

I'm a bit ignorant to this and would rather get some first rate advice than trawl the net.

Has anyone any experience in production/mixing drum tracks made using Reason/Pro Tools? If I was to book a studio to lay down some tracks, would it be possible to use pre-made drum tracks on the above programs rather than a live drummer? I understand it might make the track a little robotic. I can only assume it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

Anyone ever done it before? What were the results like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

it can be done, the results you achieve will depend on your proficiency with drum programming and the quality of your samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I understand it might make the track a little robotic. I can only assume it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

If the drums are programmed using strick quantization then it will sound a bit rigid. However this can be overcome with some added shuffle, manually adjusting the placement of the midi notes and altering the dynamic of the hits in terms of volume and panning. Here'a recent video from Computer Music to give a basic idea on this can be achieved

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SaKi-The-Killer

mordeith wrote: »
    If the drums are programmed using strick quantization then it will sound a bit rigid. However this can be overcome with some added shuffle, manually adjusting the placement of the midi notes and altering the dynamic of the hits in terms of volume and panning. Here'a recent video from Computer Music to give a basic idea on this can be achieved

Cheers for all the advice.
    I'll mess around with that. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Load in the demo songs that reasons ships with. Look at how they did the drums, gives you an idea of the swing/shift etc that is possible.

Advertisement