Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rod

Options
  • 03-06-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know where the earth rod is located in the houses in charlesland. .its usually out the front somewhere. .im in the wood..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Maudi wrote: »
    Does anybody know where the earth rod is located in the houses in charlesland. .its usually out the front somewhere. .im in the wood..

It's in at the base of the bushes, same side as your Gas and electricity boxes.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

astrofluff wrote: »

Hi astro I dont doubt you that its supposed to be there but ive just cleared back around the bushes but it aint there.; (

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Maudi wrote: »
    Hi astro I dont doubt you that its supposed to be there but ive just cleared back around the bushes but it aint there.; (
    Sometimes it gets covered by garden soil, dig lightly around and you should see the green plastic box that covers the top of it.

Can you see your neighbours' earth rod boxes?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, this is what I was told. They generally have a green plastic "inspection box" on top and can be found in the bushes.

Although it is very bad practice the earth rods are generally in close proximity to a neighbors.

The intention is to avoid a current from flowing down an earth rod from one installation then flowing back up an earth rod belonging to a seperate premises. This is normally achieved by keeping earth rods from seperate installations well apart.

• Advertisement

Can you see your neighbours' earth rod boxes?

Not in two bedroomers the three bedroomers at each end have them in plain sight in the sets on the ground (green box flush with ground)..two bedroomers dont have anything in the driveways at all..ive visually checked the drives..and cant locate mine in bushes at parti wall.

Interesting - Have you opened the meter box to see if the earth cable exists?

Actually didnt think of that..what am I looking for when I open it?

Actually didnt think of that..what am I looking for when I open it?

a green and yellow striped cable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No, this will not work.
    The earth rod is fed from the distribution board.

The earth cable installed in the meter cabinet is for neutralising the installation.
    This goes directly to the main earth terminal (MET) in the distribution board.

Out of interest why do you want to find the earth rod?

If it is just to see if an earth electrode is installed this can be achieved without actually locating the rod itself by carrying out a simple non-intrusive test called the "Wenner test".

Not only will this test will establish if an earth electrode is installed it will also measure resistance of the connection to earth through the earth electrode.

Thanks 2011. Would it be normal to see the earth cable leading to the rod via the meter housing?

Thanks 2011. Would it be normal to see the earth cable leading to the rod via the meter housing?

No.

But the cable feeding the earth electrode can be identified at the distribution board quite easily as it is a single 10sq. mm green/yellow PVC insulated copper cable and there are very few of those in these boards. Once this end of the cable has been located a tone generating device such as this can be used to find the other end, which in this case is the earth electrode. If all else failed that is how I would resolve this issue.

Alternatively you could just ring a well known electrical contractor that lives in Charlesland who would most likely find it in a few minutes because he is very familiar with these houses :)

Contact details sent by the OP by PM.

Advertisement