Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My junior cert is tomorrow and I haven't studied?!

Options
  • 03-06-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My jc is tomorrow and I haven't studied
    one but. Does the jc matter for your leaving cert? Or future career? And If you do bad do you have to repeat it I'm so ****ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

sophie320..... You have set the standard for yourself. if you dont care about the JC why care about the LC or a Career.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

In the long run it doesn't matter very much but it affects the levels you can take for the Leaving Cert, e.g. if you fail higher level English or Maths the school mightn't let you do higher level in those subjects for the Leaving. But if you're willing to pull up your socks and work harder after the exams you should catch up for the Leaving Cert.
    Future careers will never involve your Junior Cert results, they'll only look at your Leaving Cert results (or university qualifications if you go to college). It is better to get off to a good start for the Junior as it sets you up for success in the Leaving, but to be honest it doesn't matter very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

My advice would be to not study at all and go on an internet forum to post about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Relax. It'll be grand. You'll be saying the same thing in 2-3 years for your leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Doesn't matter one bit should be abolished, Putting unnecessary pressure on young students.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

sophie320 wrote: »
    I'm so ****ed

So start studying.

Nothing else you can do now, is there? You may not get great results but it's probably not too late to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Doesn't matter one bit should be abolished, Putting unnecessary pressure on young students.

What pressure? To make an effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Nothing else you can do now, is there? You may not get great results but it's probably not too late to pass.

Exactly, just study up as much as you can, but relax as it's not the end of the world and no it won't affect your career as there are 100s of ways you can qualify post-school.

Sure Richard Branson hated school and look where that got him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Stop stressing yourself out and repeat after me:
    All I can do is my best
    All I can do is my best

Of course you should have done something before now, but the reality is you didn't; there's no point beating yourself up at this stage, just do some revision, get some sleep, and get off boards.ie.
    Best of luck.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

EDIT: SOPHIE, do not mind the people insulting you or your effort so far. Not sure what people get from having a go at a 14-15 year old girl who has the guts to admit she hasn't studied and is looking for advice, but there you go...

Sophie. The JC does not matter a whole lot. Having said that...

Your junior cert is probably going to be a very difficult experience for you now. Go over the most important parts from each exam and hope for the best. But as I said, the JC won't really matter. The one thing I will say about the JC is that it's good practice for the leaving cert in terms of sitting an exam.

Once the exams are over and you have the results, you have a choice to make. Do you really want to be in the same position in two years time, when you are sitting a proper exam - one that actually WILL have a huge effect on your life?

There are two versions of yourself that could exist in two years time. One who has sabotaged her life by wasting the last two years and one who has worked her ass off to be in a position to do what she wants after school.

You do NOT want to be in the position some of my school friends are now in. They were like you at JC. No study done. They then decided to do nothing for the Leaving Cert either and did poorly. Now they have either no jobs or menial jobs. It's very sad indeed.

No one can make that choice for you. Not your parents and certainly not your friends. Only you.

I don't care what your grades are like now. They do not matter. Get stuck in over the next 2 years. Work hard. If you do not understand sonething, ask your teacker after class and understand it. If your friends call you a "suck up" or "teachers pet", then fcuk them and find new friends. A few months after school finishes, most won't be friends anyways because that is how life goes - everyone moves on.

It may be hard to imagine but the person you will hurt most by not studying is the version of you when you are 30-35.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

JC is an incredibly important exam, not in terms of their effect on your life, but as a way to sample the pressure of the exam situation before the Leaving Cert.

An absolute necessity imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

FutureGuy wrote: »
    JC is an incredibly important exam, not in terms of their effect on your life, but as a way to sample the pressure of the exam situation before the Leaving Cert.

An absolute necessity imho.

Incredibly important? Pull the other one. Your mocks are a good sample of the pressure of an exam situation. The JC on the other hand is a load of shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Junior Cert is in no way important, I cannot even remember what I got in it and it was only about 10 years ago, nobody is ever gonna ask you for your results in a job interview nor will it effect college choices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No one will ask for your results, but your school (fairly justifiably) might place you in the OL or FL class based on your results. Nobody (student or teacher) at LC needs someone who didn't bother at JC playing catch up in their class.

Advertisement