Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord taking my apartment- Need 1 month rental in Galway

Options
  • 03-06-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm a mature postrgrad student at NUIG finishing up my thesis. I am flying back to America on July 28th.

I live in a small chalet in Barna, outside of Galway city.

My landlord sent me an email asking me to leave by July 3rd, as her daughter is going to be moving in. She told me she'd give me my deposit back on that day.

Well, I'm totally frustrated. I talked to threshold, and even though I've been there 8 months, she can kick me out because it's immediate family moving in.

My rental term goes from the 26th, so I'd like to move out by June 25th so I'm not prorating anything with her.

I am having a hard time find a place for just a month, because it's all geared toward holiday makers, and the cost is astronomical. I need a place that accepts couples, as my fiance will be coming over from America on July 14th to help me move back.

I'm pissed that this is happening, right in the middle of me trying to write my thesis.

Any suggestions? I have a car, and don't want to be more than 15 minutes away from NUIG.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Do you have a lease? If you do, you cannot be kicked out before the end date of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Barna152

Do you have a lease? If you do, you cannot be kicked out before the end date of the lease.

Not officially, but when I moved in, she drew up a sheet that showed the 12 months i was going to be there, with a date to show when I paid the rent, and a place for our signatures. So she knew full-well that I was going to be there.

Also, someone with threshold told me that she CAN kick me out even with a lease if it's for immediate family. Is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Barna152 wrote: »
    Not officially, but when I moved in, she drew up a sheet that showed the 12 months i was going to be there, with a date to show when I paid the rent, and a place for our signatures. So she knew full-well that I was going to be there.

Also, someone with threshold told me that she CAN kick me out even with a lease if it's for immediate family. Is that right?

That's wrong. If you have a lease, signed by both parties, she cannot remove you until it's over.

If you're on part 4 (no lease), you can be asked to leave for a family member to move in.

That's wrong. If you have a lease, signed by both parties, she cannot remove you until it's over.

If you're on part 4 (no lease), you can be asked to leave for a family member to move in.

Sadly, I'd say I'm on a part 4 then. A sheet drawn up for the date the rent is paid and the calculate of the months electric only shows that we had the same intent as far as how long I was staying, but I doubt is a lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why don't you try this:
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/centrepoint-liosban-business-park-galway-city-centre-galway/1409315/

I know it says:
    Lease: Minimum 3 Months

But in the description it also says:
    Rates quoted are based on minimum of 4 week stay

And I know you want a double .. but surely you could do something creative with the twin beds for a few days ....

Or this: http://www.daft.ie/lettings/ballymoneen-rd-galway-city-centre-galway/1435523/

(found by searching on www.daft.ie under Short Term)

• Advertisement

Thanks! I checked Centrepoint but they said they didn't have anything for a month straight, and as far as the second one, i can't afford 250/week. Thanks though. Ugh, this landlord is putting me in a tough spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Barna152 wrote: »
    Thanks! I checked Centrepoint but they said they didn't have anything for a month straight, and as far as the second one, i can't afford 250/week. Thanks though. Ugh, this landlord is putting me in a tough spot.

Try the other student complexes too. Some do hostel stuff in summer, but may look at a one month deal. grit ones as well as night.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Doesn't the price of student rental accomodation drop to the floor during the summer months? Way back I knew people in cork who used to do a "normal" house share October to June and then move into vacated student houses during the summer time and paid around 20% of the normal rental price (£10 / person per week)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Doesn't the price of student rental accomodation drop to the floor during the summer months? Way back I knew people in cork who used to do a "normal" house share October to June and then move into vacated student houses during the summer time and paid around 20% of the normal rental price (£10 / person per week)

Corrib village and many of the other complexes turn into summer tourist accommodation- on 1 week / 2 week lets. Apparently they have little trouble letting it.

OP- if its only really 11 days- would your landlord be amenable to letting you stay the extra time. I appreciate July is nuts for rental in Galway- it always is- so you will most probably have to offer her a little higher, given the short term status of it- and the fact that her daughter will probably have to pay an increased rent for a few days elsewhere.

Advertisement