Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which GIS Masters?

• 03-06-2014 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I've just finished a degree, and want to continue studying. I'm looking at a Masters Course in GIS, and was hoping for some feedback or advice about the options out there. I've looked at NUIM's MSc in GIS and Applied Remote Sensing, also at DIT's MSc in Geographic Information Science. I know there's also one in Cork, but while it's just too far away for me to get to, I would still appreciate any thoughts on the course when compared to the other two. Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

I've just finished a degree, and want to continue studying. I'm looking at a Masters Course in GIS, and was hoping for some feedback or advice about the options out there. I've looked at NUIM's MSc in GIS and Applied Remote Sensing, also at DIT's MSc in Geographic Information Science. I know there's also one in Cork, but while it's just too far away for me to get to, I would still appreciate any thoughts on the course when compared to the other two. Thanks in advance..

studied geog nuim, its probably best for gis, inc work xp. good lecturers, modules from comp sci dept such as programming afaik. hefty work load, ronan foley good lecturer fair marker, intense work load including many written assignemnts lasting for pages and pages from what ive heard and these may only be worth 5%. class has been approached by prospective employers so make sure you study well and work hard, quite hard to get into nuim gis due to high demand you need a good grade at least a 2.1,f i your a nuim student better chance to get in to it. Take a gander @ geocomputation too in NUIM but its more suitable to thsoe wanting to break into coding etc etc. GIS only comp room in the geography department rhetoric house where you can do alot of work away from the huste and bustle of the library, GIS still fairly lucrative market.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LondonFields

Thanks... I've been out to the campus, and it looks like a good course all right.

I've read about this on a seperate thread, and wondered if anyone knew anything about or had any experience of the distance learning masters in GIS from Lund University in Sweden? Apparantly there are a number of free places for EU students...

I'm a new poster, so cannot include URLs, but a quick Google will find it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭degzs

Thanks... I've been out to the campus, and it looks like a good course all right.

I've read about this on a seperate thread, and wondered if anyone knew anything about or had any experience of the distance learning masters in GIS from Lund University in Sweden? Apparantly there are a number of free places for EU students...

I'm a new poster, so cannot include URLs, but a quick Google will find it...

Did you find any info on the distance learning masters in GIS from Lund University in Sweden?

Would be interested on getting more info but cant much online

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AntAunt

I would second the NUIM option. They have two good research institutes which connect with the geography department, NIRSA and NCG, both of which use GIS in applied research settings - more jobs opps and research collaboration options. The geography department out there are great too, very friendly, and its a nice town to study in.

Advertisement