Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to be an ultrarunner

• 03-06-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I started running in early 2013 with the only intention of losing weight. I had no desire to join a club or enter races, just kept tipping away on my own happy with what I was doing. I ran mostly around Tipp town and sometimes ran on the fireroads in Aherlow but never even knew that people ran on the actual trails up there.

From the moment I found out that there are races where people can run/walk/hike/crawl/jog I have being taking to the trails and mountains in the Glen of Aherlow slowly building up my distance while keeping the running slow.
    It was Easter Saturday when it happened, I was in bed on my phone when I saw it - Glen of Aherlow Loop de Loop, a 60k ultra to take place on Sept 20th 2014. So that where this training log starts from, my desire to complete a 60k ultra in my own my back yard in the Glen.

By the way, thank you to everyone who posts about their training on boards. Most people don't comment on your training logs but I know I for one have not only learned a lot but have also enjoyed reading what others do and how and why they do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Galtee Runner

I have being building up my distance slowly while all the while keeping the pace pretty slow so as not to end up injured. I run where I can, I walk where there is a hill and sometimes I stop to eat or take photos of the area. One thing is I try to enjoy my running because you never know when your last run will be.

I looked online for a training plan and printed it off. Basically it said you should crosstrain on Monday, run x miles on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday take Friday off and go for a long run on Saturday and Sunday. I no longer follow that plan and just go with how I feel. My training now is done on the trails in Aherlow using the different loops from Lisvernane or Christ the King.

I went my longest distance ever on Saturday evening, 20k, a complete loop of the ultra run and I was fine after it. Over time I hope to build up to where I can run a few of the smaller hills and just get around a little bit quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I have being building up my distance slowly while all the while keeping the pace pretty slow so as not to end up injured. I run where I can, I walk where there is a hill and sometimes I stop to eat or take photos of the area. One thing is I try to enjoy my running because you never know when your last run will be.

I looked online for a training plan and printed it off. Basically it said you should crosstrain on Monday, run x miles on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday take Friday off and go for a long run on Saturday and Sunday. I no longer follow that plan and just go with how I feel. My training now is done on the trails in Aherlow using the different loops from Lisvernane or Christ the King.

I went my longest distance ever on Saturday evening, 20k, a complete loop of the ultra run and I was fine after it. Over time I hope to build up to where I can run a few of the smaller hills and just get around a little bit quicker.

Best of luck with your mission and training,
    Some hard running up there as a tip try do some of your running on level (ish) ground, just a way of getting in some training without getting to tired.

Dont know if its any help but there is a grooup training session in Tipp on a Wedensday evening, all levels are catered for, might help some bit.

All the best with it ;)

Advertisement