Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy barking in the early morning!

Options
  • 03-06-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

We have 2 4month old puppies.
    One of them has started barking and whining at 6/6.30am, only in the past 2 weeks. It's rarely a toilet issue. I usually let them out at 7.30am.
    We don't let them drink after 9pm.
    Most mornings both will wait until I let them out to toilet but he's peed in the utility 3 or 4 times in the past 2 weeks.

I've tried ignoring him and hoping he'll stop himself but it's not working.

They currently sleep in the utility room inside the house. They initially were in a cage without much issue. Since the barking started I let them roam the utility room and put down pet training paper at one side in case there are issues but its just gotten worse.

The second puppy doesn't initiate the barking.

I think the neighbours can hear him so a solution will have to be found very soon.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You need to get up during the night with them and take them out to the loo. You say it's rarely a toilet issue then say he's wee'd in the utility over the 2 weeks he's started barking - to me this sounds like he's telling you he needs to go out? Puppy pads are going to slow down the training because you're basically telling the pup it's ok to go to the toilet inside so get rid of them.

Also I don't think it's right to withhold water on a pup - especially in the summer when they can get warm at night and dehydrate so easily? I toilet trained my pup last year and always let her have water before bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

Firstly im going to have to start off by saying you should NEVER restrict a dog drinking water, they should always have a fresh bowl of water at their disposable 24/7 so firstly you should not be restricting them from drinking from 9pm (its madness to be honest with you). plus its fairly hot and sticky at the mo and im sure if you were covered in fur you may need water during the night.

I can tell you my dog drinks water during the night, a good half bowl, it would be fair to take that away from him.

Secondly your dogs are only 4 months… 16 weeks…. as in still very much a baby, maybe the brightness wakes them up, maybe the dog is lonely, having second dog does not mean a dog won’t be lonely, maybe he’s dying for a drink of water or food, there are many many reasons.
    at 16 weeks you need to be getting up and letting them out during the night for the toilet etc… not just leaving them in there until you want to get up.

My dog is now 9 and there are some nights, not often he needs to go out to the toilet, he barks, I get up and let him out etc., it’s not his fault.

“I think the neighbours can hear him so a solution will have to be found very soon” -
    what does this mean? if it doesn’t stop soon the dog will have to go? its takes MONTHS and months to train a dog no IMO soon doesn’t come into the equation with a pup….

OP – don’t mean to sound mean or anything but are you a first time dog owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

At 16 weeks they're still far too young to hold their bladder (it's too small and muscle control not strong enough) for the whole the night. You need to let them out in the middle of the night too as annoying as this will be for awhile or you will set yourself back enormously in the long run by not putting in this extra effort now.

Dogs should also have access to water 24/7 in my opinion so I don't agree with withholding it overnight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

They both easily managed to hold until 7.30 up until the last 2 weeks. I presumed they could improve.

I'll can let them out a bit earlier and see if it improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@ OP
    Sorry to hear about your problems...

It could be off-topic

Yes it is OT so why post?

• Advertisement

They might be getting too warm at night/in the morning too - my two have been waking up earlier when they get too warm. I put a fan on for them and they go back asleep lol! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

They are only babies their bladder can hold on an hour longer for each month they age ! As for water ,please leave it freely available 24/7. They are still so young you need patience and understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I don't doubt the experts on water and need for toilet, however the pups don't drink in the morning at all, even after no water since the night before.

Also 1 pup rarely toilets immediately in the morning, instead waits for 10-15 minutes.

Anyhow, I let them out a 5.45 this morning before they got a chance to wake, so no barking (no immediate peeing or drinking either :confused:).

Thanks for the help.

no immediate peeing

This is normal enough - they forget why they're out! I'd recommend associating a word with when they go to the loo - that way when you take them out you can ay the word and they'll go. It'll save you a LOT of time - trust me! :o

Advertisement