Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***JC 2014 English Papers - Wed. June 4th 2014 - all levels***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

The poem for me was hard to analyse because it was so short and I couldn't identify and poetic devices or anything :( I wrote short answers for all 3 in the hope of gathering some marks.I got the studied poetry done fine .

I did the Shakespearean drama which I thought was OK but I only did 1 and a half questions of the two .

My studied drama was good. :)

My unseen fiction was terrible I wrote 3-6 liners for both because that is what I did last.I didn't even read the full thing :P

My Studied novel was pretty mediocre. I did the familiar and unfamiliar question.

coolerboy wrote: »
    I said that the boy has knowledge, is intelligent and has went through lot of events

Our answers must be similar . I said he was creative,imaginative and smart :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

nanook5 wrote: »
    Our answers must be similar . I said he was creative,imaginative and smart :)

you used three points? It was a 10 mark q though

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

I put the knowledge and intelligence in one point and the adventurous events/experiences in another.

The creative and imaginative was kind of one point in my answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

Hope the marking scheme is adjusted for that unseen poem. Looking at twitter and facebook now and people seem to agree that it was quite difficult. It was too short of a poem, too, I think. :(

Overall, it was a nice English exam. Paper 1 was absolutely beautiful

The creative and imaginative was kind of one point in my answer

oh haha I was like extra writing for nothing

yvngceebs wrote: »
    Hope the marking scheme is adjusted for that unseen poem. Looking at twitter and facebook now and people seem to agree that it was quite difficult. It was too short of a poem, too, I think. :(

Overall, it was a nice English exam. Paper 1 was absolutely beautiful

I agree on paper one (except the reading)

Paper 2 .....not a nice paper at all

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

What was your impression of blanche?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Paper 1 was grand- loved the speech in personal writing! :-D I actually thought the reading was quite interesting too although my English teacher said it was a bit too long for the reading section.

Paper 2 was okay- what did anyone else think of the shakespearean? I thought it was hard enough to understand at first but the questions were grand. The unseen poem though...:rolleyes: it wasn't even a proper poem! It made no sense whatsoever!

• Advertisement

koolis02 wrote: »

I didn't do that . I couldn't really understand her character so I did the other two

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Decent papers except for the comprehension about Sherlock on paper 1... as for paper 2 it was all good except English is always tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

koolis02 wrote: »
    I said she was honest, brave and loyal...I don't even know where I got loyal from- I was trying to get the question finished in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Well, said in the predictions thread I wanted to get a C. I'd be genuinely shocked if I didn't manage to get a C.

Paper 1 went really well for me.
    Though, I feel like my essay may have let me down a bit.

As for Paper 2, I don't think I preformed exceptionally well on the studied novel but aside from that, I'm feeling pretty good about it. :D

Nice papers considering what could've came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

That poem was terrible! What was it even about? :confused: Everything else was fine though, the functional writing and media studies were very nice.

Which functional writing did ye do?

I did the student of the year award :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

Paper 1- thought the reading on sherlock was incomprehensible. The personal writing was beautiful though. Media Studies and functional writing were ok.

Paper 2- Drama,thought the Shakespeare one language was too difficult so did the other drama. Studied Stuff Was grand, except the UNSEEN POETRY how are we meant to know what that meant!

Overrall would be happy with a B, but paper 2 might bring me down to a high C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

I did that as well, that was easy. :)

VG31 wrote: »

definitely

That poem was terrible! What was it even about? :confused: Everything else was fine though, the functional writing and media studies were very nice.

I'm not sure if I answered it wrong or what but the poem seemed to go pretty well.
    I said that the boy appeared to be thinking constantly, had a great imagination, was intelligent and had an interest in school.
    For language, mentioned slight bit of assonance, repetitiveness gave it a good rhythm and various metaphors were used.
    Said it was optimistic because the author believed that in the future young people would still have their "heads" which would imply they'd still be able to think and have rational imaginations and that the poet talked in a positive form throughout the poem.

• Advertisement

I did the one on the senior citizens. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

coolerboy wrote: »
    Paper 1- thought the reading on sherlock was incomprehensible. The personal writing was beautiful though. Media Studies and functional writing were ok.

Paper 2- Drama,thought the Shakespeare one language was too difficult so did the other drama. Studied Stuff Was grand, except the UNSEEN POETRY how are we meant to know what that meant!

Overrall would be happy with a B, but paper 2 might bring me down to a high C.
    For the seen poetry, I did q2 and talked about dulce et decorum est and but you didn't (had to pick two poem with the same theme)

who didn't finish?

Yea it was good . I don't know if I talked sh*te though.

I said my friend helps other students and got us a smoothie bar and other things while on the student council and is a loving person. :)

who didn't finish?

I was genuinely surprised I managed to finish both exams.
    In the mocks; I didn't finish the essay on paper 1 and didn't answer the studied novel on paper 2.

Yea it was good . I don't know if I talked sh*te though.

I said my friend helps other students and got us a smoothie bar and other things while on the student council and is a loving person. :)

my friend is an A grade student, a helpful good friend and does charity work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

who didn't finish?

Mise paper 2 :(

ECM1234 wrote: »
    For the seen poetry, I did q2 and talked about dulce et decorum est and but you didn't (had to pick two poem with the same theme)

I did Dulce for Q1

I did Dulce for Q1

I was going to pick that but it wasn't 'ordinary life' as such

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

ECM1234 wrote: »
    Did 2 speeches on paper 1, was delighted with them !! :D

Me too! I loved paper 1 but paper two was horrible :'(

Advertisement