Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***JC 2014 English Papers - Wed. June 4th 2014 - all levels***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Can I ask what exactly did people find hard in paper 2 I know the questions were a bit vague but they were easily answerable.

they were just, in my opinion, a bit weird compared to past questions in exam papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JWM12

ECM1234 wrote: »
    For the seen poetry, I did q2 and talked about dulce et decorum est and but you didn't (had to pick two poem with the same theme)

I love but you didn't, but I did base details coz I thought it was easier for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

Xgracie wrote: »
    I did the senior citizen one too - I just wrote that I didn't normally help older people went to a nursing home loved it and hope people will learn from my experience (but in way fancier language obviously) was that ok??
    Did that media studies Q too, and I just wrote a review for a random tv show I watch?!?!? First time I did it I did a movie review so I was so rushed gahhh
    I know I was meant to write a review of ANY television programme;( I doubt anyone has ever seen that Jedward programme have they?;)BTW I have a KISS magazine beside me and seriously their TV review is 6 short sentences long!! Hopefully my examiner will take that into consideration!!:)Also why was the review in media studies not functional writing;(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Fifii wrote: »
    I know I was meant to write a review of ANY television programme;( I doubt anyone has ever seen that Jedward programme have they?;)BTW I have a KISS magazine beside me and seriously their TV review is 6 short sentences long!! Hopefully my examiner will take that into consideration!!:)

I wrote about Hannah Montana..

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

For the poetry Q with the two poems of the same theme i tried to make out Mid term break and He wishes for the cloths of heaven were of the same theme, theme i used was sadness, but i don't know if that was the theme i should've used :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Gerrymandering

pizzamad wrote: »
    For a turning point was Romeo and Juliet's death okay??

it should be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

it should be one.

I used the scene where Mercutio and Tybalt die seeing as it has the whole knock-on effect of Romeo being banished and Juliet pretending to die and everything

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

Liordi wrote: »
    I wrote about Hannah Montana..
    I think everyone has watched some Hannah Montana at some stage or another...even the lads;) Well I won't make the same mistake again!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

emersyn wrote: »
    I used the scene where Mercutio and Tybalt die seeing as it has the whole knock-on effect of Romeo being banished and Juliet pretending to die and everything

same haha

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

same haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

In the studied fiction question in paper 2 what answer did you all give for the well chosen title.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

coolerboy wrote: »
    In the studied fiction question in paper 2 what answer did you all give for the well chosen title.

I did the other one, I had absolutely no idea how to write a proper answer for that one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

I did to kill a mocking bird cause the mockingbird is a central theme in the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

Thought p1 was grand except my timing was all over the place got it all finished anyway and sped read the first 2pages before the invigilator said time up.
    Paper 2 was grand just worried I didn't quote enough in my studied fiction got it all finished but was writing like a crazy person-I wrote like 18pages.. Bad idea :rolleyes:
    Does anyone else get music stuck in their heads during exams?I do :( .Think it went ok anyway...Praying for an A-got 85 in the mocks so I'm praying to all the gods :)
    Nothing more we can do now anyway

It depends on a persons ability some people fine things other people find easy hard & vice versa
    For me I hated the studied novel question did the 2nd one as I couldn't even think of anything for the first one
    Poetry question wasn't nice at all
    And some of the unseen questions were really weird (human nature?!)

I understand that peoples abilities vary and so obviously this would be a factor but the poem which people are complaining about the most was very accessible but I think most people were put off by the poets name and by the lack of structure but overall if you thought through the questions logically they were fairly easy.
    I know there were some off the wall questions as well now like the human nature one but once you thought through it and read the piece most people should have been able to get a fairly decent answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

I understand that peoples abilities vary and so obviously this would be a factor but the poem which people are complaining about the most was very accessible but I think most people were put off by the poets name and by the lack of structure but overall if you thought through the questions logically they were fairly easy.
    I know there were some off the wall questions as well now like the human nature one but once you thought through it and read the piece most people should have been able to get a fairly decent answer.

For the human nature question I wrote that its human instinct to be selfish. As the two men looked unhappy when they saw yu yang poo and the other one also looking for the birds nest.(from the top of my head)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

For the human nature question I wrote that its human instinct to be selfish. As the two men looked unhappy when they saw yu yang poo and the other one also looking for the birds nest.(from the top of my head)

Ohhhh I went total opposite said it was human nature to care for animals (yer one thought of the eggs first, what was I thinking tho?!) and fear of the unknown (she was scared going into the cave)
    Why didn't I think of selfish?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Yeah I thought the unseen poem was grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

That's what I said too...I also said it is in human nature to exploit others (the little boy up on the bamboo stick getting the nest for the two men...lazy men that they were!)
    It was a bit of an unusual question all right and I found the whole paper was quite different to previous years ones...at least it's over now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

I agree it took me a moment to think about it and fully understand but when your under pressure in an exam situation people may find this hard to do as they get so panicked

• Advertisement

Ohhhh I went total opposite said it was human nature to care for animals (yer one thought of the eggs first, what was I thinking tho?!) and fear of the unknown (she was scared going into the cave)
    Why didn't I think of selfish?!?!?!

That's what I did too and I said inquisitive because she was asking questions at the start about the echolocation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

Same here !

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

Paper 1 was beautiful. I don't watch much TV so for the TV review in Media section I made up a documentary on my FAVOURITE band and reviewed that :'D kads , I think I went way too deep into that unseen poem, I was all "when he says heads cannot be trimmed I think he means that society can change the way we act or look but not the way we think" like I don't know! And what was up with all those non-English names?! Rest could have been worse, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Paper 1 was beautiful. I don't watch much TV so for the TV review in Media section I made up a documentary on my FAVOURITE band and reviewed that :'D kads , I think I went way too deep into that unseen poem, I was all "when he says heads cannot be trimmed I think he means that society can change the way we act or look but not the way we think" like I don't know! And what was up with all those non-English names?! Rest could have been worse, I thought.

I showed my mam the exam paper, and she was like "why are these all written by foreigners!?!' I could not stop laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    I showed my mam the exam paper, and she was like "why are these all written by foreigners!?!' I could not stop laughing.

I know! Like Yu Ling and Rama and whatever that poet was called :')

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    Haha...that made me laugh way harder than I should have...that's what the junior cert does to you! :L
    It's true though- all the foreign names were so confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 auzzue

For my Personal Writing I wrote about being in prison and it was a bit of a rip-off from "Orange Is the New Black", but I think I did well. Wrote four sides.

For functional I did the senior citizen one but I don't think I wrote enough and I didn't focus on the "My experiences" part

For seen poetry I did question two on The Road not Taken by Robert Frost...
    a) his observation is that when you're living life you look for meaning in the choices you make but when your old you realise it's all meaningless
    b) he used personification and metaphors to make this observation clearer

I did the Other Drama for unseen drama and The Merchant of Venice for the seen, but I got the scenes for it mixed up. Hopefully it's excusable...

Small Steps by Louis Sachar for my seen fiction! Has a good title so that's why I did it.

Everything unseen threw me... didn't enjoy the poem or Yung Lee or whatever...

Probably the worst English exam I've taken but I can't do anything about it now

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

You know for media. About the review of the TV programme could we have picked any or did it have to be the one from the cover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

@auzzue
    Small Steps is one of my favourite sequels.
    Did you do study it in class or decide to do it on your own accord?
    ElmW13 wrote: »
    You know for media. About the review of the TV programme could we have picked any or did it have to be the one from the cover

Pretty sure it was any as long as it was appropriate to the magazine you were reviewing it for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

Liordi wrote: »
    @auzzue
    Small Steps is one of my favourite sequels.
    Did you do study it in class or decide to do it on your own accord?

Pretty sure it was any as long as it was appropriate to the magazine you were reviewing it for.

so much for jedwards dream factory then. was so pleased I actually remembered the name *cries*

Advertisement