Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***JC 2014 English Papers - Wed. June 4th 2014 - all levels***

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

ElmW13 wrote: »
    so much for jedwards dream factory then. was so pleased I actually remembered the name *cries*
    I know how you feel;)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

I think the questions on paper 2 were slightly abstract and were nothing like I had seen before.

But if you took it slowly and didn't panic you'd be able to write a decent answer. The question about the turning point was perfect, as I knew most of my quotes from the courtroom scene in the Merchant of Venice.

I did the familiar/unfamiliar question for the novel. Initially I panicked when I saw it, but you could just talk about themes in The Lord of the Flies, so I had plenty of quotes.

Paper 1 was all fine, but Im not so sure how I did in the reading section. Bearing in mind that it is 40 marks!!!

Overall it was great to get the first day out of the way. It's probably the most difficult exam in terms of timing. I'm hoping for an 'A' but I'd say that it's quite unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fwiz

Did anybody else find the Student Of The Year functional writing question surprisingly fun to write? Or is that just me? :)
    As long as you understood that the unseen poem was the boy's imagination then you've got it going for you!
    I found that exam to be the most beautiful English exam I've ever gotten, I'm a massive English fan :3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

Sorry to bother you guys, but what answers did you guys get for the first question on the comprehensions? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

ECM1234 wrote: »
    Sorry to bother you guys, but what answers did you guys get for the first question on the comprehensions? :)

The way she talked about the programme & the fact she was at the premiere :)

• Advertisement

Xgracie wrote: »
    The way she talked about the programme & the fact she was at the premiere :)

Phew, I said that to, did you mention on how she praised the show, by mentioning it was on a small budget?

Phew, I said that to, did you mention on how she praised the show, by mentioning it was on a small budget?

No I said the way she called it the funniest show on tv but like tomato tomato, same thing don't be worrying!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

I said narrative and descriptive writing helps to capture the atmosphere

Xgracie wrote: »
    No I said the way she called it the funniest show on tv but like tomato tomato, same thing don't be worrying!

Ok, and also for the last question in it, did that refer to having the job as a programme producer?

coolerboy wrote: »
    I said narrative and descriptive writing helps to capture the atmosphere

For the one about, how do we know the writer is enthusiastic about the show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

For the one about, how do we know the writer is enthusiastic about the show?

The title of her book and the way she greatly describes all the events leading to the sherlock premiere and the way she is up to date woth all the Sherlock news

Ok, and also for the last question in it, did that refer to having the job as a programme producer?

What was it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Good luck everyone today with Maths! :( Surprisingly nervous for geo!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭roisiny

Oisin4 wrote: »
    My personal writing speech is basically about celebrity's influencing people to have eating disorders, drug addictions and a rant about Kim Kardashian :/
    Thats the freakiest thing... I wrote about eating disorders, mental health problems and the over sexualisation of girls today, using Kim K too.
    Also my name is Roisin emergerd twinsies xox

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ciarfah

VG31 wrote: »
    Did many people finish paper 2? In the mocks I wrote about two lines of the studied fiction, but today I finished the paper a minute or two early (with no work on timing my questions since the mocks). :)
    I did the exact same for my mocks, (my timing was all wrong) but I got my bearings for the real thing and even had a few minutes to spare!

Am I all alone here, having written about that tattered coat thrown down at the bottom of the personal essay question? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

ciarfah wrote: »
    Am I all alone here, having written about that tattered coat thrown down at the bottom of the personal essay question? :O

I'd say so :D :P

nanook5 wrote: »
    I'd say so :D :P
    Ahh well :P I turned it into an adventure through a forest at night somehow haha :L For whatever reason it seemed logical at the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Emmie123

ciarfah wrote: »

I did the tattered coat one too! Mine was so emotional and stuff though..

Advertisement