Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fertility question?

Options
  • 03-06-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I haven't had any luck finding an answer to this question so thought I'd put it up here incase anyone has any info :)
    Does the age you begin menstration effect your fertility? I started my periods young, around 10 years old, and am worried that by the time I'm in my late 20s/early 30s that I will have trouble conceiving because I won't have many eggs left!

I just turned 22 so wouldnt be ready yet but just something a friend said got me thinking :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Summer Storm

Me and my husband are hoping to start a family soon so I hope this isnt true :( i started my periods very young too and im now in my late 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It can for some people. Statistically speaking, there are a few studies which show a link between starting periods young (younger than 13) and diminished ovarian reserve at age 38.

But it's statistics, rather than a certainty. There are tests which a GP can do... AMH test checks your ovarian reserve. Basically it tells you if you have many eggs left.

Link to a study below
    http://www.olivefertility.com/sites/default/files/Menarche%26AMH.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The least invasive way of checking your fertility is to have your AMH tested. Your GP can do it. There's not any sure fire way of knowing you'll have problems conceiving until you start trying for a baby either - there can be male factors for infertility too. I know of several couples with 'unexplained' infertility -ie theres no medical diagnosis for why they can't conceive - so there really is no concrete answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mummilk

Just my own experience don't get your amh tested until you are in a position to actually deal with the results. I had first period at 9, got my amh tested just after I got married at 30, and the result was undetectable (1.1 and 2months later 0.98) it was so low. Fortunately we were in a position to start trying even though we had planned to wait and here I am with one baby and another on the way! Both quickly conceived, even though we were shocked at how quick we conceived 1st baby the fact I have such low levels meant we weren't waiting around to test fate for the second one.

Howevrr don't underestimate what a body blow being told I had an undetectable level of ovarian reserve was, knocked me for 6 and I was devastated so please unless you are ready for the result don't go there as it doesn't mean you won't get pregnant.

Advertisement