Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far off the coast?

Options
  • 03-06-2014 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I have a small 19ft boat. I do quite a lot of river/lough fishing but wanted to do some sea fishing. I was wondering how far off shore do you have to go to find reasonable shoals of mackerel/pollock etc? I'd be fishing from Galway bay area.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

It's not so much distance, rather the terrain under the water. Pollock like a bit of depth and maybe a wreck or some rocky cover. Macks will chase baitfish right into the shore so if they're in you'll catch them without travelling very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

223vmax wrote: »
    I have a small 19ft boat. I do quite a lot of river/lough fishing but wanted to do some sea fishing. I was wondering how far off shore do you have to go to find reasonable shoals of mackerel/pollock etc? I'd be fishing from Galway bay area.

Mackerel could be right into the shore , it just depends on where they are or the sprats are.
    generally you just tool around until you hit a shoal, then turn back on it to try and keep in contact with it.

with a 19 footer you will have no problems. just read a about reading the weather. the tides play a big role for safety (ebbing tide will bank the waves up alot higher than a flooding tide).

onshore/offshore winds, oars.. safety safety basically.

and what Pullandbang said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

223vmax wrote: »

Is the boat a standard beam 19 foot lake boat? If so they tend to be a bit narrow for the sea and are inclined to roll a bit on the drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Its a Shetland boat with 6' 10 beam. Suzuki 50HP outboard. I have a fishfinder /GPS and was planning on just going up and down the coast looking for them.
    I have the basic safety equipment VHF radio, flares etc. Not planning on going too far out until I get some close coastal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

That should be plenty. Do you have any marine charts or a chart plotter?

For Pollock if you can find rocks or reefs you should be in with a chance of getting them.

I wouldn't go to sea without an aux engine too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement