Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum: Warning appeal

Options
  • 03-06-2014 4:57pm

Firstly, sorry for bringing a trivial matter to the DRP.

I was warned for the following post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90652675&postcount=5006

I was carded for calling José Mourinho, "Maureen".

Firstly, I had no idea that name was specifically banned. In the charter (which I read after) it is included alongside, "Whiskeynose", "Fat Sam" and "fat spanish waiter". I get why the others were banned. They are derogatory. Totally. But I can't see how Mourinho being called Maureen is derogatory. In my mind, it was a nickname ala Keano, Becks et al.

Secondly, it has been used quite widely on the soccer forum without it always being carded. Which is why I'm asking the context of the post to be taken into account. It was on the Arsenal Thread and in no way derogatory towards Chelsea or their manager. It states in that section of the charter, "The mod team reserve the right to apply their judgement as to a users intent when posting, and issue bans and/or infractions for abuse as neccesary."

I usually wouldn't chase this up, but I believe it is a very soft yellow. With the rules of The Soccer Forum being 3 yellows equalling a two week ban, I don't want to chance my arm in being banned for the duration of the World Cup!

Below is a copy of the PM's from Mars Bar, reproduced with their permission:
    LOL

I was worried it was going to appear that way! Not at all, but I know the matches are on late, drinks will be had etc. Honestly hats off for modding it! If any of the PL players mess up I wouldn't like to be in your shoes!
    Mars Bar wrote:
    Yeah you can.

Are you planning on going wild during the World Cup or something?! :P

Mars Bar
    Cheers for that.

Never any need for bad manners in PM's!

Do you mind if I copy/paste these PM's into the DRP thread?

I'm only trying to get it rescinded as I usually would just accept it, but I want to have a clean slate going into the world cup!

Mars Bar wrote:
    Hi Pappa Dolla,

Thanks for the non-aggressive PM. We don't get many of those! :)

I've discussed this with the other mods to get their opinion on it. We all believe that the yellow is warranted even if it's a soft one.
    You're not the first poster to be carded for it and probably won't be the last.
    One of the big things from the feedback thread was consistency and if the card was rescinded then it would not show consistency.

If you wish to bring this forward to DRP then you can. State that we've had our discussion and I'm not willing to overturn the card. You know the procedure! :)

Mars Bar
    Hi Mars Bar,

You are quite correct. However, according to this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73160775&postcount=2

While using the term "Maureen" is banned, it is also up to the moderators discretion.

"The mod team reserve the right to apply their judgement as to a users intent when posting, and issue bans and/or infractions for abuse as neccesary."

You can see my post was in no way inflammatory towards Mourinho. It was posted in the Arsenal thread too.

I honestly didn't know that name was banned. I presumed it was a nickname ala Keano, Becks etc. Lumping "Maureen" in with the likes of "Whiskey Nose", "Fat Sam" and "fat Spanish waiter" does not equate imo. Where is the derogatory nature in the name Maureen? What is it meant to imply?

If I posted the above in the Chelsea thread, you could be absolutely right and correct to card me as it would be flamebait. But to do so on the Arsenal thread is a bit heavy handed tbh.

You can see from my history, I very rarely get carded. but with the nature of the soccer forum and the way bans are handed out for accumulation of yellow cards, I have to contest this as I think this yellow is a tad unfair. There is a world cup coming up, and I would hate to get some petty yellows spoiling my chance to post during the WC.

I am asking you to please rescind the yellow card,

Thank you,

Pappa D.
    Mars Bar wrote:
    Dear Pappa Dolla,

You have been warned for a breach of the forum charter.

Every forum on Boards.ie has a charter which lists any specific rules that forum may have and it is really important that you read this as it'll help you familiarise yourself with how that forum works. You should also understand that every forum is different and that charters are how you learn the differences.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

Mars Bar

Moderator Note

Using the term Maureen is breach of charter. Please re-read the charter.

Your post:
    Cesc has pretty much gone on record to say he detests Maureen though?

Wouldn't put too much weight on him joining Chelsea. If he did, he would have an absolutely torrid time in London, one would imagine.

Until he's holding a rivals shirt, i can't see him joining anyone else.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Firstly, sorry for bringing a trivial matter to the DRP.

I was warned for the following post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90652675&postcount=5006

I was carded for calling José Mourinho, "Maureen".

Firstly, I had no idea that name was specifically banned. In the charter (which I read after) it is included alongside, "Whiskeynose", "Fat Sam" and "fat spanish waiter". I get why the others were banned. They are derogatory. Totally. But I can't see how Mourinho being called Maureen is derogatory. In my mind, it was a nickname ala Keano, Becks et al.
    It's in the forum Charter, which you are essentially acknowledged you had not read. I actually mentioned this rule in the recent Soccer Feedback thread - calling players or managers nicknames like "Maureen" basically winds up supporters of the club they are associated with. Hence describe it as it abusive, or derogatory, but essentially it's trolling (I would add thet Keano and Becks are terms that have been readily accepted and used by fans of Man Utd and not considered "offensive" by the fans or indeed players themselves.
    Secondly, it has been used quite widely on the soccer forum without it always being carded. Which is why I'm asking the context of the post to be taken into account. It was on the Arsenal Thread and in no way derogatory towards Chelsea or their manager. It states in that section of the charter, "The mod team reserve the right to apply their judgement as to a users intent when posting, and issue bans and/or infractions for abuse as neccesary."
    If it's reported it will be (and has been on numerous occasions) carded. Of course the Soccer forum is so large the mods are heavily reliant on reported posts. If stuff does not get reported then in all likelihood it won't get actioned because the mods will be unaware of it
    I usually wouldn't chase this up, but I believe it is a very soft yellow. With the rules of The Soccer Forum being 3 yellows equalling a two week ban, I don't want to chance my arm in being banned for the duration of the World Cup!
    The solution is simple - keep your nose clean. You should though note that it's three yellows in the current season that results in a ban, and this is your only one (so far!) this season

I would add that to overturn this card now could also expect to result in numerous other posters challenging cards for using that as well as a number of similar terms. Basically there is zero tolerance on this (although I would not expect the mods or any posters to dig out old examples simply to try and get other posters into trouble) and it is something that was extensively discussed in the forum Feedback thread

Beasty wrote: »
    It's in the forum Charter, which you are essentially acknowledged you had not read. I actually mentioned this rule in the recent Soccer Feedback thread - calling players or managers nicknames like "Maureen" basically winds up supporters of the club they are associated with. Hence describe it as it abusive, or derogatory, but essentially it's trolling (I would add thet Keano and Becks are terms that have been readily accepted and used by fans of Man Utd and not considered "offensive" by the fans or indeed players themselves.

Well, to be fair, I do read charters, and of course I have read the soccer forum one. I just didn't read the updated one (last edited April 2014?). I honestly didn't set out to wind anyone up. As I noted, if it was in a thread that involved Chelsea in any way, you would be right and correct to label it as flamebait and trolling. Because of where and in the way I posted, I don't see how that can apply.
    If it's reported it will be (and has been on numerous occasions) carded. Of course the Soccer forum is so large the mods are heavily reliant on reported posts. If stuff does not get reported then in all likelihood it won't get actioned because the mods will be unaware of it.

Yup, I get that.
    The solution is simple - keep your nose clean. You should though note that it's three yellows in the current season that results in a ban, and this is your only one (so far!) this season

As you noted, it is my first this season, my second in however many years on the forum. I generally do "keep my nose clean", I am just wary of collecting 3! (When is the season over btw? - Genuinely I don't know what criteria the soccer forum use)
    I would add that to overturn this card now could also expect to result in numerous other posters challenging cards for using that as well as a number of similar terms. Basically there is zero tolerance on this (although I would not expect the mods or any posters to dig out old examples simply to try and get other posters into trouble) and it is something that was extensively discussed in the forum Feedback thread

I hear you, and as an understanding fellow mod, I'll take it on the chin. I didn't get a chance to engage in the feedback as I was up to the hilt with work to get a chance to clear my brain and contribute. And I went in today only to find it shut after a week.

I accept the warning if zero tolerance is the rule, but I can't agree that it was derogatory/trolling/flame-baiting etc. A PM to ask me to edit would've sufficed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I honestly didn't set out to wind anyone up. As I noted, if it was in a thread that involved Chelsea in any way, you would be right and correct to label it as flamebait and trolling. Because of where and in the way I posted, I don't see how that can apply.
    I am not actually suggesting you set out to wind up anyone. Unfortunately though in this particular forum this is the effect of posting such names for famous managers and players in particular. Threads are not restricted to fans of the club in the subject line. Clearly the mods are not in a position to evaluate every single poster as to whether they are attempting to wind others up or not, and any relaxation of the rules will in all likelihood (with this particular forum) result in many more posters attempting to see what they could get away with

I would also add that the list of "offensive" names in the Charter is intended to be illustrative, and certainly not exhaustive
    (When is the season over btw? - Genuinely I don't know what criteria the soccer forum use)
    It's in the Charter;) -
    Frisbee wrote: »

3. Those receiving a total of six yellow card infractions will be banned from the forum for the entire season (running Aug-July) or 6 months, which ever is longer.
    A PM to ask me to edit would've sufficed.
    And herein lies an issue - the sheer size of the soccer forum and number of issues that it creates makes it difficult enough for the mods as it is. If they took to PM every time there was a potential problem they would spend a lot of time doing just that, but also probably completely lose track of who has already received a PM warning (also bearing in mind there are a large number of mods in the forum, and it's going to be impractical to cc everyone on all warning PMs). I'm not saying they don't take to PM to discuss certain issues with posters, but a clear breach of something that is explicitly prohibited in the forum is not something they would usually take to PM - the "warning" comes with the yellow card - in your case as already noted it's your first of the seaon which I think you should simply take as a bit of a reminder to check out the Charter again to make sure you don't get yourself further into trouble (and I would be surprised if you did given your generally very good record in the forum)

Just to try and conclude this - are you happy to get this marked as resolved? If there is anything else you think could be clarified I am happy to take that to PM, or you could approach one of the local mods

Advertisement