Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyspraxia

Options
  • 03-06-2014 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi

It's looking increasingly likely that our son, who is 5, has Dyspraxia. He certainly has a lot of the symptoms and we are waiting for an Assessment of Needs to be carried out.

We had a speech and language assessment and he does have a severe speech problem which we are in the process of getting help with. We are also waiting for a NEPS assessment in school - but it will probably be next year before that happens.

I've already a lot on the Dyspraxia Association of Ireland but I was wondering if any parents here had any practical tips on how to help him day to day. One of the main things about children with dysbraxia is that they work much better one to one and so when I am with my child he works really well with me - but he loses concentration very easily in school in the classroom and also has problem with task completion.

Does anyone have any practical experience with Dyspraxia? Does your child cope ok in primary school etc? He is only in Junior Infants so we're lucky that it'll probably be an early diagnosis and we can get him the help he needs but I'd like to do everything possible I can for him.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Dysbraxia or Dyspraxia?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Sorry - Dyspraxia (and the poor child obviously has a dyslexic mother - or a very tired one!!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If he gets a diagnosis of dyspraxia, he MAY qualify for resource hours.
    Some good tips here:
    http://www.sess.ie/sites/all/modules/wysiwyg/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/filemanager/files/Categories/ASD/17DCD_Practical_Tips.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

If he gets a diagnosis of dyspraxia, he MAY qualify for resource hours.
    Some good tips here:
    http://www.sess.ie/sites/all/modules/wysiwyg/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/filemanager/files/Categories/ASD/17DCD_Practical_Tips.pdf

Thank you - will have a proper read of that document tomorrow but it looks very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

You know you can get a Psychological Assessment through assessment of need? Rather than waiting for NEPS I mean. Maybe it's not indicated at present but could be worth investigating. However there are several types of Psychological Assessment and perhaps not all are available through AoN.
    Best of luck anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

My brother has dyspraxia, he always had a lot of resource hours while in primary school. He also got special facilities (extra time etc) when doing the Leaving Cert. In college, he got a laptop and a certain amount of hours every week with a qualified professional. All these things are available, make sure you use them!

He is a perfectly happy normal sociable lad in his twenties now. Physical exercises helped a lot (your physiotherapist will go through these with you.)

Main difficulties arise in public places where he is surrounded by a lot of people. This only really became an issue when he started going to pubs, nightclubs, etc, where very drunk people were bumping into him - he really can't cope with that sort of uninvited contact. But obviously this isn't an issue for you for a few years yet.

I'd just say, make sure you utilise all available resources as much as you can.

My brother is completely independent, has finished a college degree and has lived abroad on his own. I'd say he barely even knows himself that he has dyspraxia, it's always concerned my parents a lot more than it's bothered him! By all means accommodate for it, but don't let it define him. It's something he may need to work around at times during his life, but it's not going to limit him in any way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's great that he has been diagnosed early, as this can make a huge difference. As a teacher, the only advice I would give is if you can afford it, get him assessed privately as it will be a lot quicker and you may get supports put in place earlier. Make sure the assessment is recognised by the Dept of Ed first though.

A good Occupational Therapist can make a huge difference, and while you may be granted access to one through the public system, like everyone else, they're overburdened and it may be an option to see one privately.

Dyspraxic kids usually have huge problems with handwriting, so lots of extra time on this, practising holding the pen properly can be a big help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My daughters OT gave us a handy little exercise to do with her at home to help strengthen pencil grip.

Use a big tweezers (http://www.therapyshoppe.com/category/P2174-jumbo-tweezers-tongs-for-kids-special-needs-ot-tools-toys) and put two bowls out, one filled with small objects such as buttons or cheerios and the other empty and have them transfer them to the empty bowl. It's really helped her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

While our son doesn't have dyspraxia, he was quiet awkward and not as physically able as other boys his age for a while. He still isn't but he does very well acdemically (if you can refer to senior infants as academic :rolleyes:).
    Anyway, we took him to a qualified osteopath and recently to a chiropractor as well. He has come on leaps and bounds (literally) and whereas before he would find climbing frames and such a bit difficuly he is way more confident and assured on them now. He's never going to be Usain Bolt but neither is going to so far behind some of the more physically talented young lads.
    As I say, he wasn't necesarily dyspraxic as it was more his gross motor skills which were lacking a bit, but some of these therapies may help with your child.

Advertisement