Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keith Whyte Waterfront Ultra Marathon

Options
  • 03-06-2014 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭

Anyone any feedback on this? Does not seem to have a thread from previous years.

Looking at the half ultra, dont know the area or any races around there at all...

Handy for me as its near where I will be on holidays at the same time, but with the fee and unavoidable add on's its very close to 60 quid, so it needs to be AMAZING for me to go anywhere near it.

I generally avoid races not organised by clubs or organised by folks like BHA [who do DCM] these days, as its not worth it for the drama generally involved..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

A half ultra!? Soon there'll be a half 24 Hour race!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah Joe, no. :D

The half ultra thing just pains me. How could Keith let them call it that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Ah Joe, no. :D

The half ultra thing just pains me. How could Keith let them call it that!

How come the race is called after Keith? Does he organise it? I take it he hasn't left this world and this is now called in his honor :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

its a 9 mile out and back route along a part of the west cork coast, you do said route twice on the "half" and 4 times on the ultra - so works for me as an LSR somewhere interesting...

But I could just show up on the Sunday morning and do the same run for free, unless it was a great race someone knew about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TRR wrote: »
    How come the race is called after Keith? Does he organise it? I take it he hasn't left this world and this is now called in his honor :confused::confused:

Afaik, he won it last year just after setting the Irish 100k Record so they named it after him. The organisers are the same people who organise the Clonakilty marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

For the sake of history, Savage event, one of most beautiful runs I have ever done...

Organisers brilliant, very helpful when I had issues during the week..

5 stars

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

Keith was there at the end to welcome all the finishers across the line. He gave his time freely to people and chatted with everyone. An honor to be in the presence of a National Record holder who is so humble and so accessible.

Well done to Bob and the crew for what looked like a perfectly organised event. Unfortunately I wasn't running - we're down in West Cork for some holidays and popped into Clon to watch the finish of the Keith Whyte Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

popped into Clon to watch the finish of the Keith Whyte Ultra.

You must have some serious vision, as it finished in Courtmacsherry :rolleyes:

I know, "Half-Ultra" just doesn't make sense - just call it an 18 mile race? but in the spirit of the event, we'll forgive them.
    Excellent event. Felt very hot on the section from Timoleague out to the turn-around point. Water was supplied in sports cap bottles from BUCKETS OF ICE! This Clon Crew have mastered the art of race organisation.
    Oh, and course measurement was spot on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnnyDun

I suffered badly in the heat yesterday during the 18 mile run but thoroughly enjoyed what was a very well ran event on probably one of the most scenic routes around.
    The iced water was a great touch.

Advertisement