Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Catholic bashing

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm assuming, as you've changed the subject that you can't name a single poster from A&A who is part of the clique and has ever been banned.
    TBF, not everyone is privy to who in your mind belongs to this 'clique', so that's a tough ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think you'll find that she did complain to the mods initially.

This comment,

when changed to

breaks all kinds of forum/site rules.

Not so. "fyp"-ing is generally used as a quick way of making a point by pointing out a flaw in another poster's argument. If the poster makes it clear that they've edited the post they quoted (usually by replying "fyp"), it's clear to all that some of the quoted text is not what the poster originally said, but which the poster replying feels is implied or ignored in the original post.

If the mods themselves edited the original post to change the meaning of it without good reason, that would be a definitely against the rules. Another poster doing it without the original post itself being edited (and making it clear that they're doing it by saying "FYP") doesn't break "all kinds of forum/site rules" in and of itself. It could possibly be considered trolling or being a dick, but again it depends on if it's being done to be insulting or demeaning, or if an actual salient point is trying to be made.

For what it's worth, I generally despise "FYP"-ing. But it can be used within the rules to make an effective point in a discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think (...............) waste your time. :)

Here to continue your vendetta I see.
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=300048&threads=1&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=%2A%3A%2A&forum=82

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nodin wrote: »

"Its not a conspiracy if they are actually out to get you"

atleast thats the only conclusion I can come to regarding his thinking and continued feedback threads :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

If you go to the GAA forum, you can't bash the GAA. If you go to the Christianity forum, you can't bash Christians. If you go to the LGBT Forum, you can't bash LGBT people. If you go to the Ladies Lounge, you can't bash feminism. Do you see a pattern here? These forums are deliberately biased towards their subject and are considered "safe havens" for people who subscribe to their "beliefs" for want of a better word.

Outside of these forums, such matters are most definitely up for debate (although we do have a few topics of discussion that we don't allow on the site). If religious practises say that non<insert denomination> people are sinful and are supposed to be pitied at best or burnt at the stake and guess what? That pisses a lot of people off - it's the sort of thing people go to war for.

If an organisation, institute, lobbying group or even individual says it's in charge of any given belief (or non-belief) system and wants to claim to be some sort of moral authority then they can answer for their actions when an angry public has every right to demand accountability - be they Christian, Muslim, Pro-Life, White Supremacist, Corrupt Politician, Richard Dawkins or any other individual or organisation that puts their neck on the chopping block by making claims of superiority.

In this particular case, when Rome starts to answer for it's crimes, then people will be able to move on. That's not going to happen until we start seeing this though and so this issue will keep coming up. If you don't want to be taking flak for association with any organisation or individual, then you either distance yourself from it and/or take up the fight against it's corruption from within.

So Christians of all denominations (and especially Roman Catholics of Ireland), if you want to stop the absolutely justified criticism and out right hostility towards your church(es), then *you* do something about it. I am not going to tell the members of an Atheist and Agnostic forum that they're not allowed point out and talk about the atrocities committed in your name. As long as no one is being personally abused then carry on I say. There's nothing wrong with being a Christian - the teachings of Christ are universal and are generally a good way to live your life - the problem is that someone made a business out of it and called it "The Church" and it's the church who's to blame for this backlash, not Christians.

[EDIT]
    I should at the opposite of that last sentence is also true - comments on these topics need to make sure they're not making it personal and aren't singling out posters here for abuse or ridicule - it works both ways.

That's the end of that. This thread is done.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement