Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French & German

Options
  • 03-06-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there are many people who are doing both French and German and if you get mixed up between the two. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

Liordi wrote: »
    Just wondering if there are many people who are doing both French and German and if you get mixed up between the two. :)

Do both and love both :) Quite impossible to get mixed up between them (for me anyways). Two such different languages. Looking forward to the exams on them. Wow...that sounded sad hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Will have to decide my subject choices for the JC soon. In First Year and considering taking Business, French & German....leaving Art, Music and Home Economics to one side. I'm strong in all 3 but am I taking on too much, considering there's Irish and English too?! Thinking that if I take both French & German now I'll then be sure which of the two to take to Leaving Cert based on results in JC. I excel in Maths and have an aptitude for languages...at least that's what I've been told! What do you think?? Am I taking on too much??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not at all. If you are good at languages and like them, by all means do them.

Is it not possible for you to take both to Leaving? Are you interested in doing languages in college?

Maths is just another language really - you often find people are good at it and spoken languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

spurious wrote: »
    Not at all. If you are good at languages and like them, by all means do them.

Is it not possible for you to take both to Leaving? Are you interested in doing languages in college?

Maths is just another language really - you often find people are good at it and spoken languages.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I could do both for LC as far as I know. May opt for more mathy subjects like physics and even applied maths and accounting. If the climate for teaching vacancies improved, then I might consider languages in college as I think I'd like teaching but for now, I'm thinking Actuarial Science which in UCD doesn't even need a language but DCU might be different. Suppose once I get a fix on what I really want to be when I grow up (!), I'll be more decided. It's really all about the points I suppose and taking the subjects that will get me where I want to be. Probably early days I know....just trying to get it right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I could do both for LC as far as I know. May opt for more mathy subjects like physics and even applied maths and accounting. If the climate for teaching vacancies improved, then I might consider languages in college as I think I'd like teaching but for now, I'm thinking Actuarial Science which in UCD doesn't even need a language but DCU might be different. Suppose once I get a fix on what I really want to be when I grow up (!), I'll be more decided. It's really all about the points I suppose and taking the subjects that will get me where I want to be. Probably early days I know....just trying to get it right.

If you like Maths and find it easy, I'd follow the actuarial path. Languages are always useful just in life generally. I'd give teaching a wide berth for a good few years, if I were you. The drive is very much towards having lots of part-time contract workers, rather than full-time people. I can't remember the last time a new person in our school was given full hours, probably about 8 years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement