Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to the LC at 17

• 03-06-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've had a lot of medical issues that kept me out of school for years. So in September, I chose to not return because I still wasn't able to go in and I was already behind and hadn't done everything I needed to continue with the LC.
    Anyway, I have been talking to my mam and I would like to try and get my LC or do some sort of alternative, but I really don't want to go back to 5th year in September. I know that would be the best option, but I just don't feel comfortable doing it now that I've been out for so long. So are there other things I could do?

I did fairly well in my Junior considering most of my studying was done at home (1A, 1B, 3C's and 1D in HL English).

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

How did you do so few subjects for the JC? You could consider doing LCA although it'll be necessary to do a PLC after to be able to enter any third level college I think.

You could also just do the normal LC which would probably be the best thing even if it's difficult in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lauren_200

I dropped a couple of subjects. The school and I were talking about it and it just wasn't realistic for me to do them all and do anything well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Would you consider going back for a year and doing the leaving cert?

It's not impossible to cover 6 subjects (with English & Maths) to head into 3rd level.

At least you have a LC then so you wouldn't be as restricted. Of course if you don't have a leaving cert it isn't the be all and end all, far from it. As the above poster said consider doing the LCA (which is not difficult at all in comparison to the LC) and heading through a PLC.

What do you want to do after school?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The LCA requires 90% attendance, which doesn't sound like it would suit the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

If she/he has medical certs from a doctor then they would be no problem in getting a Leaving Cert Applied qualification so long as she/he keeps up with the work.

it could be a better option than the traditional leaving cert.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have everything done if I were to try getting the LC done next year. I chose Home Ec as one of my subjects and I wasn't in for all the assignments. So going back would be out because I would have to go back into 5th year. LCA wouldn't work because I tend to have a few hospital appointments, etc... and you need to have really good attendance for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Red Hare wrote: »
    If she/he has medical certs from a doctor then they would be no problem in getting a Leaving Cert Applied qualification so long as she/he keeps up with the work.

it could be a better option than the traditional leaving cert.

I doubt the OP would be suitable. One of the big plusses of the LCA is the 90% - it tells employers this person comes in practically every day.
    The OP would also presumably miss parts of the tasks, the interviews etc.. For someone who is likely to have poor attendance, the standard LC is the one can be done at home, or with homeschooling help, which the OP would qualify for if there is a serious health issue.

Yeah, LCA is out because doctors letters wouldn't work for that. It was something that was mentioned to me last year.

Advertisement