Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English, Paper 1. Composition (HL)

• 03-06-2014 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭

Does anyone one know how many word we should be aiming for in our Composition (short story question). My teacher said its 3-6 pages but my writing is really small so the only reference point for me would be the amount words.

I am also wondering if there's even a point in writing a short story if I have no plan/outline prepared. This would cause me to face some serious competition. Do you think I would be better off doing a personal essay or a speech?

Thanks and Good Luck with your paper 1 tomorrow :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

1000 words I think.

I strongly dislike short stories, speeches are better imo. I'd suggest just doing some relaxing at this stage though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Mario95 wrote: »
    Does anyone one know how many word we should be aiming for in our Composition (short story question). My teacher said its 3-6 pages but my writing is really small so the only reference point for me would be the amount words.

I am also wondering if there's even a point in writing a short story if I have no plan/outline prepared. This would cause me to face some serious competition. Do you think I would be better off doing a personal essay or a speech?

Thanks and Good Luck with your paper 1 tomorrow :)

Honestly, you should only decide when you see the questions tomorrow. Some have stories prepared, others don't. The important thing is, if you have a story, don't try desperately to make it fit the title, examiners will see this and will punish you. Aim for about 1000-1200 words, roughly 4 pages, although for some, like me, it's about 3-3.5. Most important thing is to do what you're comfortable with. If you see the look of a story and can get a good brainstorm, then go for it. Just don't limit yourself only to stories, there might be a lovely essay or article on offer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

Do we need quotes for our comparative essay in Paper 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Laylaxx

Yeah you should learn a few to back up the point you're making, i don't think you have to for the film though.

Advertisement