Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need someone to design a black and grey sleeve

Options
  • 03-06-2014 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Okay basically I'm looking for a tattoo artist who will design and completely draw out a sleeve idea for me and I'll pay him or her,

I have my own tattoo artist he just seems to lack imagination and is pushing me towards just copying other sleeve he finds on google I'm confident in his skill just not his idea,

As it will take approx 15-20 hours to complete in total I need to use my local artist to do the tattoo because I don't have much free time to travel etc,

Is there anyone that is up for doing this ? I have an idea in my head and also a lot of pics I like

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Best bet is to scour some portfolios and check out some artists existing work. Book a consultation to go over your ideas and let them mock something up for you. Check out the Recommend an Artist / Portfolios thread or the Show me yours threads for inspiration. Be sure to post up what you get!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Summerhill10

Thanks for the reply I'll check out those threads,
    I'm not sure if some of the good artist would be happy just designing the complete tattoo and letting my artist do the tattoo and take the credit lol so maybe just a good artist to design it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I know you have someone in mind to tattoo you but tbh, if my artist couldn't draw what I wanted, I wouldn't have much faith in his ability to tattoo it either.

I'd much prefer to go into an artist who would be really into the idea I'd want, and get them to draw it and tattoo it.

I know that's not exactly what you asked but if you find a tattoo artist who fits the bill artistically, they're not really going to like putting all that effort in just to have someone else tattoo (and possibly make a shambles of) their work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Personally I think it would be quite rude and disrespectful to get another artist to mock up a design then someone else to ink it. It's like someone coming up with an amazing song...only to have someone else play it. OK, quite a vague example...but 'art'...y'know?

And what makes you so sure that your artist would be capable of putting the level of detail that another would draw up? Some artists will trust their own intuition and not draw off a stencil (but might make a few like 'markings' to follow a flow). Actually to elaborate on that, a good artist will add detail on the fly and enhance a tattoo (of course asking you first!). I like that, adds some 'chaos' to it!

I mean whatever you go with is going to be up to you. But definitely look around. I would definitely travel if it meant having something at a higher level of detail and talent than having to do with the convenience of having someone else closer. But I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to getting inked. I'll think up of something, then come up with new ideas and never actually stick to one. You're working off a blank canvas with infinite possibility.

The artist I have is amazing at the style of tattoo I want and I have seen numerous examples his skill is certainly not the problem he just can't seem to put onto paper what I have in my head

I can really travel and it's going to take multiple sessions and I'm trying to fit it in around work schedule,

Completely understand it would be an insult for a tattoo artist but that why I also stated artist someone that doesn't tattoo but is a great artist and would like to get paid for there work maybe I didn't explain that in the original post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Completely understand it would be an insult for a tattoo artist but that why I also stated artist someone that doesn't tattoo but is a great artist and would like to get paid for there work maybe I didn't explain that in the original post

The only problem with that is that an artist that doesn't tattoo won't know what will work and what won't work in a tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The artist I have is amazing at the style of tattoo I want and I have seen numerous examples his skill is certainly not the problem he just can't seem to put onto paper what I have in my head

I can really travel and it's going to take multiple sessions and I'm trying to fit it in around work schedule,

Then yes his skill is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

The fact your "artist" is pushing you to copy others work says it all to me.

I just sent the tattoo shop a message asking could he at least draw out what my sleeve would look like I paper before I start it and got a reply saying not really as all the back round is done free hand

So I'm having huge second thoughts now so on the look out for a tattoo artist in or around Laois area or surrounding areas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I just sent the tattoo shop a message asking could he at least draw out what my sleeve would look like I paper before I start it and got a reply saying not really as all the back round is done free hand

So I'm having huge second thoughts now so on the look out for a tattoo artist in or around Laois area or surrounding areas

Well if I trusted the artist that woudln't bother me to be honest but the fact he said he lacked the imagination and was pushing you to use google images would be enough to push me away.

Who is the artist and maybe people will you there opinions?

Your in Laois Dublin and other artists that would be more than capable of doing it are only a short distance away really. I'd rather a bit of driving or a train journey to get it done right. Never really get peoples refusal to do some travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Well if I trusted the artist that woudln't bother me to be honest but the fact he said he lacked the imagination and was pushing you to use google images would be enough to push me away.

Who is the artist and maybe people will you there opinions?

Your in Laois Dublin and other artists that would be more than capable of doing it are only a short distance away really. I'd rather a bit of driving or a train journey to get it done right. Never really get peoples refusal to do some travelling.

it's shocking, Ireland is not exactly a massive place ffs

Advertisement