Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

01 6095202

Options
  • 03-06-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Got a call on from this 01 6095202 a few days ago , guy in a nordie accent claimed to be O2 , he had my name a was looking for more personal information in order to talk about my account and saving me money .

Having been an Digifone and then O2 customer since 1997 I have never got a call from them offering me anything ,reducing my bills or enhancing customer relations .
    As this was an unsolicited call to my personal mobile I refused to give the guy any details and demanded to know who he was , eventually he conceded that it wasnt O2 , but a call centre in Belfast who O2 had given my details to , he also claimed that they had my consent for them to contact me , a fact which I strongly dispute .

A follow up call to them to ascertain what info they had ,resulted in a promise by a Manager to Email me the so called consent , as expected , No Email .
    Can O2 pass my details on to a 3rd party without my consent ?
    Is it legal for a company that I have no connection with to make unsolicited calls to my mobile without my consent ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

You might be better posting this over on the "Talk to O2" forum....

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1479

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fivesixtwo

Thank you , I have posted this matter in the O2 tt section , doubtful if they will answer my questions .

I posted this here firstly as I considered it of significant importance to other consumers out there, as an attempt to phish information and the fact that they are in operating in another country while doing this .

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

The O2 retention team all have "nordie" accents. (Prefer Northern accents myself since I have one) they call people to take up new offers and get people on new tariffs and back into contract. Just ask O2 to remove you from the list if you don't want to receive the calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fivesixtwo

The issue is that this is NOT O2 , it is a third party that O2 have passed my details onto .

Its a bit strange that after 17 years I get a call from them offering me something in exchange for personal data .
    Probably nothing at all to do with the fact that 3 will be buying them .

With that in mind we all better get used to speaking to the new customer care centre in India when 3 move everyone from Limerick over there .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I got one of these calls as well yesterday - the guy was practically unintelligible, his accent was so strong - I was waiting for the request for confirmation information but in fact he just gave me my home address and asked me was that correct.

Despite him being on to try to tempt me into a new arrangement, with presumably all my fact/figures/stats in front of him, he was asking me about my phone usage, patterns etc (not telling me, which I'm sure he could have) - and eventually got around to offering me a new deal for.... what sounded like exactly the same tarriff I'm on at the moment. In return for signing a new 12-month contract, when I'm a few months short of coming out of a 24-month one. Eh, no.

Given that my contract is so close to being up, I'm expecting a flurry of these calls in the coming months.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they were asking you to confirm information to verify that your the account holder & not just someone who answered the phone (a child, business partner, someone who nicked your phone etc).

With regards to asking about phone usage/patterns it's highly likely O2 would only have shared enough information with the company in Belfast to be able to contact & recontract you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

eigrod Please do not tell posters to post in another forum. This results in duplicate threads which is something we do not like on Boards. Instead please use the Report Post function so that a moderator can move to the aporopriate forum.

Since this thread has been reposted in Talk to O2, I am closing this thread until the other thread can go no further.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement