Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone and fibre broadband

• 03-06-2014 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭

I'm living in Caherdavin. I have my broadband & landline with UTV Connect, but they have sold their customer base to Vodafone as they're quitting this area of their business.

Looks like I'm going to be a Vodafone landline & broadband customer from July 1.

Does anyone living in Caherdavin have fibre broadband? - I'm not sure it's even available in this area - but if it is, does anyone have any views or opinions on it?

If it's very good - reliable and reasonably priced, I may give it a try, assuming it is offered by Vodafone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

tippman1 wrote: »
    I'm living in Caherdavin. I have my broadband & landline with UTV Connect, but they have sold their customer base to Vodafone as they're quitting this area of their business.

Looks like I'm going to be a Vodafone landline & broadband customer from July 1.

Does anyone living in Caherdavin have fibre broadband? - I'm not sure it's even available in this area - but if it is, does anyone have any views or opinions on it?

If it's very good - reliable and reasonably priced, I may give it a try, assuming it is offered by Vodafone.

Went from Eircom to Vodafone and their service has been very good, no complaints yet. As soon as my contract with 3 is up I'll be getting a Vodafone contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

My parents have Vodafone Dsl which I believe runs off BT's lines, they have been very impressed with it and have never had any issues with the service, back when they were choosing providers, the only other choice was Eircom.

I was unaware Vodafone were even in the Fibre market, I wonder if they put down their own lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BT Ireland or anyone else don't have their own lines. Anything running through DSL or efibre is running off the Eircom infrastructure.

I'm using Vodafone DSL for the last 7 or 8 years when they took over residential customers from BT Ireland at the time. Any issues I have every had have always been traced back to my local Eircom exchange who have no interest in fixing it until it is replaced by Fibre which they say is August, which August is anyone's guess though. I've never had an issue with Vodafone themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

bazz26 wrote: »
    BT Ireland or anyone else don't have their own lines. Anything running through DSL or efibre is running off the Eircom infrastructure.

I'm using Vodafone DSL for the last 7 or 8 years when they took over residential customers from BT Ireland at the time. Any issues I have every had have always been traced back to my local Eircom exchange who have no interest in fixing it until it is replaced by Fibre which they say is August, which August is anyone's guess though. I've never had an issue with Vodafone themselves.
    Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up.

Its true that all the Dsl lines run through Eircom but I thought each fibre provider put down their own cables, for example I remember hearing many times that UPC have expanded their network by putting down more lines, their are manholes all over my estate with the UPC logo on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

UPC use their own fibre but most landline ISPs will use Eircom's fibre infrastructure just like they did with their landlines in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

tippman1 wrote: »

Also got a switching letter, check what package they have put you on, I did'nt get a comparable package to my UTV one, they said they were going to put me on their home max package(too expensive).I'm on an open contract with UTV which vodafone would continue if I went for the dearer package. I rang and said I'd go with their home extra package as it was similar to what I had before but I was told in no uncertain terms that I could take it or leave it. If I wanted to go with the home extra i would have to sign up as a new customer on contract, did'nt like the reaction I got at all, I am now looking for an alternative, will prob go with eircom as their reduction for the first 6 months brings it under my price point. There are 4 vodafone ready to go customers in my home and as a result of todays call we are going to be looking hard at alternatives::mad:

Advertisement