Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacker Recruitment Agencies

Options
  • 04-06-2014 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hi

Currently im traveling the east coast of Oz but will be heading for Melbourne in July, graduated in a business/IT course back in Ireland before I came out here last November and I am hoping to get some office work out here to get myself used to working a 9 to 5 again and to help me gain some experience out here before I head home when my visa expires. Just wondering could someone give me a few links to some good recruitment agencies based in Melbourne, id like to send on my CV and hopefully get some temp work while in the city for the next few months

Thanks!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I was listening to ABC's RN (radio national) in the car today. They had a segment on backpackers working in the farm industry and were talking about a recruitment agent/company around the Mildura area. I was in and out of the car all afternoon but if you check RN's website for today all the info will be up on it.

They said they don't like backpackers as fruit puckers as they are initially slow and don't pick decent quantities which means lower wages for backpackers and lower profits for farmers. Generally they'll have the backpackers in the packing rooms boxing up produce.

Here is the article. Just had a quick look on my phone so couldn't do a decent search.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-04/harvest-labour-special/5497916

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

pete4130 wrote: »
    I was listening to ABC's RN (radio national) in the car today. They had a segment on backpackers working in the farm industry and were talking about a recruitment agent/company around the Mildura area. I was in and out of the car all afternoon but if you check RN's website for today all the info will be up on it.

They said they don't like backpackers as fruit puckers as they are initially slow and don't pick decent quantities which means lower wages for backpackers and lower profits for farmers. Generally they'll have the backpackers in the packing rooms boxing up produce.

Here is the article. Just had a quick look on my phone so couldn't do a decent search.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-04/harvest-labour-special/5497916

Thanks for the reply, but I am looking more at getting office work in the cities then farming as I have already done my fair share of it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Apologies. I misunderstood the title and didn't read your entire post while on my phone. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Just jump onto seek.com.au, apply for any of the jobs being advertised and hound agencies till they get back to you. Hays is a good crowd to register with, also check out randstad. I've been here 8 weeks and I only started working last week. I wasn't sitting on my hands either. I started applying for jobs from the 2nd day I arrived. I think I applied for close to 80 jobs. Got a couple of interviews. Was offered a job but it fell through. As I said, just hound the agencies till they're sick of you and they'll give you a job so you'll stop annoying them.

The thing is that a lot of places won't accept you because of this 6 month rule but keep trying and you'll get lucky

Advertisement