Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working with a moving company in SF, is it steady work

Options
  • 04-06-2014 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how regular the work is with an Irish moving company and would it be enough to sustain yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Your question isn't very clear. What do you mean by an Irish moving company? Are they here, or in San Francisco? Are you asking about the moving industry in general, or certain Irish owned companies in particular?

San Francisco is one of the most expensive US cities to live in. Perhaps if you gave a greater idea of what the hourly rate of pay would be, or what you would expect to earn on a monthly basis, people could give you an idea of how far that would go to pay your rent and other expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

I worked with Mayflower / United Vanlines 2 summers ago in Maryland. Same company does all of the states. Tough work to say the least, a lot of days ran into 15 hours depending on the size of the house ect. When I done it the temperature was mid 30s (Celsius) for a good month so it definitely wasn't pleasant. Interesting experience all the same. I can't remember what I was getting paid per hour but the money was good after a few days of long hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I live in SF and it is EXPENSIVE as hell.

However...moving guys are pretty well paid BUT you need to look out for a few things.

1. Where is the company based? If they are based in San Francisco city, then you get a minimum wage of $10.74 an hour. If your company are based in another city (a lot of moving companies are in San Bruno, South San Francisco (a different city than SF) or Oakland. They are there for a reason - the wages are lower.

2. Healthcare? Everyone needs healthcare here, does the company provide it or will you need to pay for it yourself via Covered California. If you break your leg...you are looking at a bill of between 8 and 10000 dollars. My wife, when she worked in ER here treated a guy whose bill was 40000 as it required surgery...and that was a discounted rate

3. There is a property crisis here at the moment - even to rent a room in SF is getting to around an average of $1100 a month.

Let us know more details and we can help out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Thanks for answers, have accom sorted in Berkeley, don't mind travelling.

So I should look for city movers if I want the 10.74 rate then?

I imagine it's quite well tipped?

I have insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

You can't expect tips. The figure I gave is the minimum so you may get more than that. In the US people tip less when they know you get at least the minimum wage (ie Starbucks, fast food).

$10 or $15 per person tip is pretty normal, you may get lunch paid for, you may not. When I saw the bill for our moving guys (my company paid)...for the amount of work they did, it was pretty generous - how much of that the actual movers got is another story, however they seemed happy enough with their work and got the job done well - we asked about tipping, and the boss said $10-$15 was normal, we ended up at the $15 & provided lunch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement