Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dermey97

Live in northern half of the country so opted for dublin ferry...
    Same idea, 4 of us heading to cardiff for weekend of quarter finals.. Leaving the friday and getting ferry to Holyhead and driving to cardiff. Booked premier inn outside cardiff in caerphilly about 15 mins drive outside city centre. Drive back monday..Picked up qtr final tickets yesterday for 150 sterling a pop....credit card taking a pounding.. All in works out €410 euro per man so not 2 bad.. Going to be a quiet xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭AidanD12

In queue to try and log into the ticketing web site. Wonder what my chances of getting a couple of quarter final tickets are. Seems one of them is sold out so fingers crossed there might be a few left for the other. They are making a bloody fortune of these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

How long is this queue on the ticket sales site now?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

AidanD12 wrote: »
    In queue to try and log into the ticketing web site. Wonder what my chances of getting a couple of quarter final tickets are. Seems one of them is sold out so fingers crossed there might be a few left for the other. They are making a bloody fortune of these games.

Last night there we still category A and B tickets available for the last remaining quarter final so there is a chance you might get a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

The queue there now is huge. Full grey circle for the last 5 mins. I'd imagine these tickets will be snapped up by touts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭AidanD12

Queue about 30 mins to get in. Still Cat A & B tickets available at £250 / £215. I dawdled around too long and they kicked me out before I had a chance to make up my mind. So steep at that price, very hard to justify by the time you have travel & accommodation it'll be up to nearly a grand

To date- I have spent £1378 on 2 Cat A tickets for France, Italy and Winner of our group. It's not cheap but it isn't often the world cup is next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Will there be a resale portal next year? Still missing a ticket for the france game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Will there be a resale portal next year? Still missing a ticket for the france game

Spring of next year I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

Tickets still available for a number of matches including our games against Romania and Canada but, my God, those prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

OldRio wrote: »
    Tickets still available for a number of matches including our games against Romania and Canada but, my God, those prices.
    Total Rip-Off

Wales v England already going for anything between £460 & £2000 on the black market.

Gimme the 6N and two weekends in Paris and Rome for the same expenditure ......

In 1988 The same game in the 5N was £3 ..... Says it all really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Total Rip-Off

Wales v England already going for anything between £460 & £2000 on the black market.

yep it's shocking the prices , ripping the piss out of it , pay a whack load and then the match could be a utter ****fest :eek:

Patience gentlemen, patience.

Toutless / gumtree etc and even the areas around the stadiums on match days will be flooded with tickets. There's going to be a hefty second hand market (probably many selling at a loss) due to the structure of how the tickets were sold. Plenty of people having 2/3/4 tickets for games as all 4 members of their parties were allocated tickets in the ballot.

It will be interesting when the 'second hand portal' goes live as to see how they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It will be interesting when the 'second hand portal' goes live as to see how they do it.
    The official portal will allow you to sell the ticket less charges and resale fee.

Best guess, you bought a ticket for £150 + £6 mastercard fee (£156). The Mastercard fee is lost anyway, and they'll likely charge you 10% fee, so you'll get £135 back. Anyone buying the second hand ticket will be charged £156 again.

That's based on Euro 2012 and RWC 2011 system anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iane87

Just booked return flights Cork-London,stansted 10th-19th Oct 2015 (€92 luggage included). Getting a campervan (€850) between 5 of us from the airport to Cardiff. Is anyone doing this? If so, What camp site have you in mind, there doesn't seem to be too much choice other than Cardiff Caravan Club which is already booked out from 16th-19th Oct 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

For anyone travelling from Norn Iron, easyjet have just opened bookings for Belfast International to Bristol. Return flights now £150 and rising (was £100 at lunchtime today)

Flybe also do Belfast City to Cardiff, however they don't release those flights until March net year.

Total Rip-Off

Does it say it all? Exponential growth and the dawn of the professional era has happened since then. Add inflation to that it makes perfect sense. I think they have priced tickets on the absolute cusp of what people are willing to pay. Inter-pro games were getting a few hundred viewers once upon a time and now they sell out the AVIVA. That says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just checked the website. Only 4 Games showing Sold Out but many more showing Currently Unavailable.

Looking at some of the Currently Unavailable games I would guess this is some type of marketing ploy.

OldRio wrote: »
    Just checked the website. Only 4 Games showing Sold Out but many more showing Currently Unavailable.

Looking at some of the Currently Unavailable games I would guess this is some type of marketing ploy.

It may have something to do with hospitality ticket sales also? If the hospitality packages aren't sold then the venue may not be sold out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Heading over to Cardiff for the 2 quarter finals. What are people doing for flights?

I was thinking Birmingham or London as they both seem to be about a 2 hour train journey away.

Also thinking heading over on Saturday and returning Monday, as I think it would be a bit of a scramble to get a flight home on Sunday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

adrian522 wrote: »
    Heading over to Cardiff for the 2 quarter finals. What are people doing for flights?

Booked Cork - Bristol for Saturday 17th October (aer lingus). Lands in bristol at 12.25pm. Quarter-final that night (if we finish in runner-up spot) is on at 8.00pm I think. Bristol to cardiff is about 45mins by train. Second semi (if we top the group) is on Sunday at 1.00pm. I've 2 cat B tickets (£215/€270 each) for the Sunday quarter-final. I fly home Monday 19th Oct. (departs at 12.50pm)
    Flight from Cork cost me €286 rtn, at time of posting still availability at €271! (I'll get over it)

Accommodation was trickier. Will be staying in a B&B in newport...22 miles from Cardiff, but the best that I could get at a reasonable price. (£35 per night)

So on that weekend alone I've dished out €910 already (albeit with an extra ticket purchased).
    Not too bad?!!

Well...that will have been my 3rd weekend over there as am travelling by ferry and campervan to both the Canada and France games too. Staying in the city centre campsite, 500 yards from the stadium. (Had the good sense to make those bookings at the beginning of September. Was told on the phone that I was "the 7th Irish lad to book in for those weekends with his van." Not sure but I think there are only 12 slots for campers in total there.)
    Bringing some friends with me in the campervan which dilutes the price a bit.
    For Canada weekend, 4 lads going: €310 a head covers ferry, diesel, 2 nights campsite, and category C ticket for the match.

For France game: couldn't get tickets for everyone (4 going again) but managed to get 2 category A tickets (£250/€315 each) one of which I'll hold onto for myself, the other I'll find a face value purchaser amongst my 3 travelling companions I'm sure.
    The France weekend is a 3 night stay; Fri-Mon (good test of friendships there!). So €200 per man covers ferry, diesel and campsite.

And yes I do feel like a tour operator.

So some serious financial investment made on my part for this shindig next Autumn, all I ask for is it not be a re-run of France 2007!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

I was thinking Birmingham or London as they both seem to be about a 2 hour train journey away.

Also thinking heading over on Saturday and returning Monday, as I think it would be a bit of a scramble to get a flight home on Sunday night.

Flying Dublin - Birmingham with Ryanair on the Saturday morning, home on the Monday afternoon. Return flights for under 100, so happy days! Did the same trip for the HCup final last year, rented a car and it was a handy enough drive. Going to look at getting a train this time, left it too late last year and prices were crazy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Think I'll do the same, try and pick up train tickets as soon as they go on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What are people doing for flights?

Perks of living in London - for the one match I have tickets for, Northern line to King's Cross and then Metropolitan line to Wembley :)

For anyone getting trains, thetrainline.com allows you to setup alerts that will e-mail you when the advance tickets (cheapest tickets) come on sale.

Definitely worth doing, as the ticket prices can be massively reduced!

I was thinking of flying via London too but I imagine it would be easier to navigate Birmingham than London, though there is a late flight out of Stansted on Sunday night but it seems like too much of a rush all the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For anyone getting trains, thetrainline.com allows you to setup alerts that will e-mail you when the advance tickets (cheapest tickets) come on sale.

Set the alert up there, then buy the tickets directly from the train operating company and you'll save more.

Set the alert up there, then buy the tickets directly from the train operating company and you'll save more.

Yup, it's 25p per mobile transaction with thetrainline (three times that online).

I never mind paying that just for the ease of the app & setup. Although it's not really worth that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

How much is the train likely to be (if we get them at advance prices? I'm conscious that we're looking for peak times (Brimingham - Cardiff Friday evening and reverse Monday AM)

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    How much is the train likely to be (if we get them at advance prices? I'm conscious that we're looking for peak times (Brimingham - Cardiff Friday evening and reverse Monday AM)

Just do a search now for dates 10/12 weeks in the future

e.g
    http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/combinedmatrix.aspx?Command=TimeTable#Journey/BIRMINGHAM%20INTERNATIONAL/CARDIFF%20CENTRAL/20/02/15/16/30/Dep/23/02/15/09/00/Dep/1/0//

Off Peak Returns (£60) appear to be suitable for a train @ 16:30 (and later) from the airport to Cardiff, and any train before 9am and after 9:30am on the Monday.

Advertisement