Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Do you guys think its worth pre-booking train seats?

I am going to the Canada game and will be travelling from Bristol to Cardiff day of game and back in evening.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

shortys94 wrote: »

I am going to the Canada game and will be travelling from Bristol to Cardiff day of game and back in evening.

Cheers!

I did for the QF weekend. If it's Bristol airport then it's a bus and a train to Cardiff. £31 (ish) return IIRC. All one ticket, to be collected by me from a machine once I arrive in the airport.

From the city, staying night before game then leaving after game for airport, cheers man, will think about it then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Just got a mail to say the tickets I got in the original ballot are being dispatched, now to see when they arrive and how many of them come or if they are all together.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Cheers!

Got a day return for about a tenner sterling for the same trip on the Trainline site a few weeks back, probably wouldn't do much harm, only a 40 minute spin on the train too

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    Got a day return for about a tenner sterling for the same trip on the Trainline site a few weeks back, probably wouldn't do much harm, only a 40 minute spin on the train too

Ah man cheers will do that, trainline ok cool, appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Cheers!

The UK trains are like the air lines in that its the cheaper the sooner you book and on the day being a lot higher. A friend of mine pays £250+ for a day trip to Manchester very often. Book as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Hi, am travelling to London for the Romania match and was looking for a bit of advice as to what area to stay in, have never been to London and we are going over the 26th and not coming back till 29th so plan is to do a few tourist sightseeing as well....was wondering if we would be better staying somewhere between wembley and central london but haven't a notion about the areas.....appreciate any advice, thanks...

I would stay in central if I was you. You can get to Wembley very easy on the tube. Its on the Bakerloo line so if you get a hotel near that line it would be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Finally got a message from DHL! Something's on the way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

afatbollix wrote: »
    I would stay in central if I was you. You can get to Wembley very easy on the tube. Its on the Bakerloo line so if you get a hotel near that line it would be a bonus.

Wexfordgal, you won't get anything reasonable around central at this stage, best best would be go the other side around Harrow maybe, easy to get into.

Another option is Slough. 20 mins into paddington and jump on the tube to Wembley Central on the Bakerloo. Trains run nearly throughout the night form London out. Windsor is 5 mins away, and you can jump on a train there and go into Richmond where the main Twickenham fanzione is, and there is a music festival on as well.

Same tube takes you into Oxford street very easily.

Anyone with Google maps, it is brilliant over here - woud definitely use it to get around. Another thing is pick up an Oyster card, like the leap card. London buses don't take cash any more, card is a fiver and you load credit onto it at any station, a journey i used do from Marylebone to Paddington, two stops would cost £4 normally, less than two on the Oyster card. What airport are you flying into Wexfordgal??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

afatbollix wrote: »
    The UK trains are like the air lines in that its the cheaper the sooner you book and on the day being a lot higher. A friend of mine pays £250+ for a day trip to Manchester very often. Book as soon as you can.

Trainline is great for bargin prices for trains. I got return first class tickets to Manchester for much much less than that by booking it in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭hellfish08

I have to go to London for a thing on the 25th and 26th of next month, so I've extended my stay and have just ordered a ticket for Ireland v Romania.

Does anyone have rough idea where the after-match craic is likely to be? London is pretty huge, and even with the RWC in full flow it probably won't be noticable in most parts of town.

The Faltering Full Back in Finsbury Park is a good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭llcoolj14

Trainline is great for bargin prices for trains. I got return first class tickets to Manchester for much much less than that by booking it in advance!

You do realise that trainline is just a booking site who will be more expensive than booking with the train operater themselves as they put a service charge/levy for the service? Its a decent source to find cheap prices, but you can always save that fee by booking direct once you have found what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Anyone have any ideas for accommodation in Cardiff for the QF weekend? I see even the campsite in Cardiff is full.

Did I read on here before that one of the Rugby clubs in Cardiff let people camp there for a Six Nations game recently?

Cheers!

A word of warning re the trains over here on match weekends, for anyone who has never done them before...

Ive only ever got the train from London up to Cardiff, did it twice for old HC finals and the experiences there put me off, so we usually drive/ get a private group bus these days. I did the train down for the 6n game in March this year and it was as bad as ever out of London. You can book a seat out, but will be lucky to get into it-the trains were so rammed people were sardines the entire route standing in the isles. Any station we stopped at en route(including Bristol) no one had a hope of boarding at.

On the way back its a free for all (you can not book a seat). We had dinner, a few drinks, trying to leave the queue's die down, but still ended up waiting for well over 2 hours when we did try leave. They have a system to queue depedning on location, with one line for London only. Again for many, it was standing room only the entire way back to London...

My point is for anyone banking on being on a London train,or getting on any of the stops, be very aware to give yourself extra time as its a free for all! I'd imagine for a RWC, there will be a fair few making the trip for the first time, and unlike in a 6N when there is only 1 away team, for the likes of the French game, the bulk of their fans will also be using the same route.

I do presume there is some sort of local/non London originating service going from Bristol to Cardiff, but given the lack of accomadation in Cardiiff, would expect those services to face the same strains.

Hi, am travelling to London for the Romania match and was looking for a bit of advice as to what area to stay in, have never been to London and we are going over the 26th and not coming back till 29th so plan is to do a few tourist sightseeing as well....was wondering if we would be better staying somewhere between wembley and central london but haven't a notion about the areas.....appreciate any advice, thanks...

Whats your budget?You can usually get a decent room in London for about £100 per night... not a lot out by Wembley but if you did want to base yourself there, the Novotel is showing up£110 a night for your 3 nights. Get yourself anywhere in zone1/zone 2 thats a short walk to your local tube station. You'll then be at worst, 40 minutes away on the tube form most of central London (Which is quite a small commute over here). For good value on a weekend, try looking at options in the "city". The "city" (the financial part of London as opposed to the city centre) is quieter on the weekends with the offices closed and hence hotels can be cheaper (area's like St Pauls/Liverpool St/Tower Hill)

A booking site like Agoda etc will give you a good overview of options...this site is very popular and gets good deals too (that you wont find on the mass search engines as specific to travelzoo, a bit more time, but worth it if you find something: http://www.travelzoo.com/uk/uk-hotels-breaks/london/

llcoolj14 wrote: »
    A word of warning re the trains over here on match weekends, for anyone who has never done them before...

Ive only ever got the train from London up to Cardiff, did it twice for old HC finals and the experiences there put me off, so we usually drive/ get a private group bus these days. I did the train down for the 6n game in March this year and it was as bad as ever out of London. You can book a seat out, but will be lucky to get into it-the trains were so rammed people were sardines the entire route standing in the isles. Any station we stopped at en route(including Bristol) no one had a hope of boarding at.

On the way back its a free for all (you can not book a seat). We had dinner, a few drinks, trying to leave the queue's die down, but still ended up waiting for well over 2 hours when we did try leave. They have a system to queue depedning on location, with one line for London only. Again for many, it was standing room only the entire way back to London...

My point is for anyone banking on being on a London train,or getting on any of the stops, be very aware to give yourself extra time as its a free for all! I'd imagine for a RWC, there will be a fair few making the trip for the first time, and unlike in a 6N when there is only 1 away team, for the likes of the French game, the bulk of their fans will also be using the same route.

I do presume there is some sort of local/non London originating service going from Bristol to Cardiff, but given the lack of accomadation in Cardiiff, would expect those services to face the same strains.

Cheers, My train to and from would be originating from Bristol temple meads, so looks as if it will not be hampered by london services, cheers though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Tickets for Ireland V France and two Qfs which I purchased in June arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Tickets for Ireland V France and two Qfs which I purchased in June arrived today.

DHL have been spamming me since yesterday evening, they better turn up now! :)

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Another option is Slough.

Nope. No. Nope nope nope. No. Dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

dubal wrote: »
    DHL have been spamming me since yesterday evening, they better turn up now! :)

Dubal

Same, come on DHL!!

These events should give fans (especially in the vastness of London) a bit of direction/be of interest to some on here!

Tickets for RWC Irish fan parties are now on sale, events that see the Official IRFU, Munster, Leinster, Connacht and Ulster supporters clubs collaborating for the first time ‬ http://tiny.cc/GreenWCparties

Irish_Supp_Party-(2)_rdax_677x498_80.jpg

Nope. No. Nope nope nope. No. Dont.

Eh, can I ask why???? Handy for getting into London, Twickenham etc - don't believe all the stories you were told!

Cat D tickets for QF3, where if Ireland win the pool they will be in are up now

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

DHL man just arrived, all done now :D

I am deliberately not counting how much they cost, though thankfully its all spent now, and it was nice spreading (i.e. paying in November and June).

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Eh, can I ask why???? Handy for getting into London, Twickenham etc - don't believe all the stories you were told!

I can firmly vouch from first hand experience for the unpleasantness of Slough. Not somewhere you want to go on your holliers Wexfordgal! There is a reason prices there are cheap.

I work in Slough. I haven't been told things, I've lived them.

EDIT: I am lucky enough that where I work is on the outskirts and I live far enough away from Slough that I can make a conscious decision to avoid it. I'd suggest others follow the same strategy

EDIT: I am lucky enough that where I work is on the outskirts and I live far enough away from Slough that I can make a conscious decision to avoid it. I'd suggest others follow the same strategy

Seriously? I'm there two years, lived there and have had no hassle! Same with a number of other colleagues of mine in the same industry! Certain parts to be avoided like any place. Holiday inn right alongside the train station and travel lodge five mins walk from the station.

I'm just putting my experience there, and given the location of the hotels works out well. ive done the journey to Wembley and currently doing the journey to Twickenham now . I've had no issues walking to the bus stop alone to get a flight at 4.30 in the morning, I wouldn't be staying in Chalvey or anywhere like that!!

Seriously? I'm there two years, lived there and have had no hassle! Same with a number of other colleagues of mine in the same industry! Certain parts to be avoided like any place. Holiday inn right alongside the train station and travel lodge five mins walk from the station.

I'm just putting my experience there, and given the location of the hotels works out well. ive done the journey to Wembley and currently doing the journey to Twickenham now . I've had no issues walking to the bus stop alone to get a flight at 4.30 in the morning, I wouldn't be staying in Chalvey or anywhere like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Could anyone say when is the most recent that you've bought and had delivered been?

I recently got opening tickets to England Fiji for some friends in England. They're to be posted to me and I was going to send them on to them in the UK. It's all getting extremely tight...

They've had years to prepare. What the hell is going on?

Any advice?

• Advertisement

Well you're the only person I know whose ever spent any time in Slough and managed to escape with their soul intact. We've had employees leave us purely because they couldn't stand working in Slough any longer...

Advertisement