Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Trafalagar Square and Picadilly Circus will be doing rugby coaching sessions closer to the final - I've signed up to deliver some, haven't heard yet

This was impromptu Match after the Argies booted us out of the comp

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iane87

Did anyone here stay at the Cardiff Harlequins RFC or Cardiff caravan park??
    How was it ? We've booked in to these for the France game and the QF weekend. Just wondering how things were set up etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IrishRugby93

Just happened to be listening bbc radio 1 talking about record breaking attendance between nz and arg.
    Also spoke 69000 at ireland v canada and said at least 65000 where irish, then went on to say only 71000 at wales v uraguay with about 65000 welsh also. just shows how good irish support is that in a 75000 seater stadium in wales we can equal the attendance of the home support. Must say had a great smile when i heard this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Just happened to be listening bbc radio 1 talking about record breaking attendance between nz and arg.
    Also spoke 69000 at ireland v canada and said at least 65000 where irish, then went on to say only 71000 at wales v uraguay with about 65000 welsh also. just shows how good irish support is that in a 75000 seater stadium in wales we can equal the attendance of the home support. Must say had a great smile when i heard this.

Most games are near sell outs - which I'm delighted to hear. I can imagine Ireland v Romania being quite near what NZ/Argentina was today

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Right some observations from getting in and out of Cardiff this weekend.

1 - If you're staying in Cardiff yourself, you lucky lucky sod.
    2 - If there's a group of you splitting a taxi from the likes of Bristol, Newport or Swansea isn't the worst of ideas.
    3 - If you're getting a train from Bristol, go straight to Temple Meads to get it.
    4 - There's an offie by the train station in Cardiff, if you're getting the train back buy cans, you will be queuing for a fair while waiting on your train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

P_1 wrote: »
    Right some observations from getting in and out of Cardiff this weekend.

1 - If you're staying in Cardiff yourself, you lucky lucky sod.
    2 - If there's a group of you splitting a taxi from the likes of Bristol, Newport or Swansea isn't the worst of ideas.
    3 - If you're getting a train from Bristol, go straight to Temple Meads to get it.
    4 - There's an offie by the train station in Cardiff, if you're getting the train back buy cans, you will be queuing for a fair while waiting on your train.

I had a friend at the Canada match who was staying in Bristol and got held up at Cardiff Central. His words: "literally worse than India"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

I had a friend at the Canada match who was staying in Bristol and got held up at Cardiff Central. His words: "literally worse than India"

Shocking to think they had years to prepare for this and still they have the same issues as they have always had in Cardiff.

When a host nation applies for the Olympics or football world cup they have to show how they can accommodate the crowds. Does World Rugby not insist on this when deciding on a bid?

Oh Cardiff station was a shambles and a half getting out.

Even getting in was a nightmare and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

P_1 wrote: »
    Oh Cardiff station was a shambles and a half getting out.

Even getting in was a nightmare and a half

I honestly didn't find it that bad. Arrived at the station at 6.40 around. And the queues were grand at that time. Mind you, I was going to Holyhead - it might have been chronic for other places. We had the luxury of waiting 2 hours for the crowds to clear though.

One thing though, the delays on the trains were unacceptable. As was the way that some staff members spoke to paying customers.

We were meant to get the 19.27 service but the earlier service was delayed so we got that thankfully. The 19.27 ended up being so delayed that it didn't make it to Holyhead in time for the ferry.

I considered going to the France match, but looking at train times / ferry times I wouldn't trust it. My uncle is going from Rosslare to Pembroke - might see if he has space in his car.

sullivlo wrote: »
    I honestly didn't find it that bad. Arrived at the station at 6.40 around. And the queues were grand at that time. Mind you, I was going to Holyhead - it might have been chronic for other places. We had the luxury of waiting 2 hours for the crowds to clear though.

One thing though, the delays on the trains were unacceptable. As was the way that some staff members spoke to paying customers.

We were meant to get the 19.27 service but the earlier service was delayed so we got that thankfully. The 19.27 ended up being so delayed that it didn't make it to Holyhead in time for the ferry.

I considered going to the France match, but looking at train times / ferry times I wouldn't trust it. My uncle is going from Rosslare to Pembroke - might see if he has space in his car.

From looking at twitter it was even worse later on. You might have actually got out before the trouble hit.

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »

Ah yeah you got out before the madness really started. I can only imagine it being worse for the France match once you factor in the fact it will be a Sunday rail service

Anyone stay in Cardiff Harlequins RFC or Cardiff Caravan Park?
    How were they? whats the setup like as we are heading to these sites in the coming weeks.

iane87 wrote: »
    How were they? whats the setup like as we are heading to these sites in the coming weeks.

Yeah, any info on this?

How do you book a space?

techdiver wrote: »
    Yeah, any info on this?

How do you book a space?

As far as I'm aware the Cardiff Caravan Park site is fully booked out, but Cardiff Harlequins RFC might still be available,
    their email address is rwc.cardiffquins @ gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

When travelling by ferry is it true that you only need ID, not a passport...so will my driving license do?? My passport has just gone out of date and it would save me renewing it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

When travelling by ferry is it true that you only need ID, not a passport...so will my driving license do?? My passport has just gone out of date and it would save me renewing it for now.

Yes. I did this recently. Ireland and Britain share a common travel area.

Got a response saying my spare ticket for the Romania game that I put for resale in the middle of August was never listed in the first place. I'm trying to demand a refund as re-submitting it will mean it won't be on sale until Thursday and I likely won't be able to return it in time. I'm not expecting any joy but if they say no I'm forced to turn to a tout.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Why not take it with you and try and sell at face value? Why a tout?

Why not take it with you and try and sell at face value? Why a tout?

I don't have time to be hanging around outside trying to get rid of the ticket. I'd prefer to sell it at face value, and I want to comply with their ticket resale service too, which I tried to do but can't now.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Got a response saying my spare ticket for the Romania game that I put for resale in the middle of August was never listed in the first place. I'm trying to demand a refund as re-submitting it will mean it won't be on sale until Thursday and I likely won't be able to return it in time. I'm not expecting any joy but if they say no I'm forced to turn to a tout.

I don't think you need to return the ticket immediately in order for it to be resold. I resold mine before sending them back in. *I think* your ticket simply has to reach RWC at some stage to get the refund. Once you've got it re-listed and sold, they'll re-issue the ticket to the purchaser and presumably the one you have in your hand won't work any more. Just send that one back in your own time. I'd probably get them to re-list it still as it'll probably sell if it's a Cat D or even C.

Touts were going below face value in Cardiff. Not sure if the same will happen in London.

• Advertisement

I don't think you need to return the ticket immediately in order for it to be resold. I resold mine before sending them back in. *I think* your ticket simply has to reach RWC at some stage to get the refund. Once you've got it re-listed and sold, they'll re-issue the ticket to the purchaser and presumably the one you have in your hand won't work any more. Just send that one back in your own time. I'd probably get them to re-list it still as it'll probably sell if it's a Cat D or even C.

Touts were going below face value in Cardiff. Not sure if the same will happen in London.

Probably, 90k for Wembley. I did re-list it anyway, hoping to sell it through them and if it works as you say then that's great I might get the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 maryd26

Probably, 90k for Wembley. I did re-list it anyway, hoping to sell it through them and if it works as you say then that's great I might get the money back.

You might not get paid until after the tournament at this stage (presuming they sell), but it does allow you to send the tickets back afterwards - check out the last page: tickets.rugbyworldcup.com/gpctp/site/assets/TicketResaleProgrammeUserGuide.pdf

(add www. before the address obviously - I can't post the link as apparently I am a 'new user')

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

techdiver wrote: »
    Yeah, any info on this?

How do you book a space?

Stayed in the caravan park Friday and saturday night. Booked it 12 months ago. It was great really. Toilets weren't brilliant (clean enough, but seemed forever out of toilet paper...had brought our own so was ok)
    6 minute stroll to the stadium (more like an amble), good mix of Irish and English and Welsh stayed there.
    Had the campervan stocked up with every single thing we needed so didn't speak to a staff member after we had checked in! (Didn't even use the cafe or anything so can't comment on it!)

But the location?...WOW. The lads I went with were particularly grateful for my stringent planning once we started hearing the stories of what happened at the train station.
    Back there again for Fri Sat and Sun of the French game...It will be nothing shy of EPIC.

(A final note for the ferry and travelling in a campervan; we bypassed almost every queue when boarding! We were ushered through to non-car lanes and breezed past the car queues...I presume this is standard practice but I had never taken the camper on the ferry before so it was a very pleasant surprise! Got great seats in the lounge as a result. On the return sailing, we got to see (on the big screen) Ireland Canada replayed first, then the All-Ireland final, then they switched over to NZ vs Argentina for us. Took a significant edge off the pain we were all feeling from 2 days of poisoning!)

One of the best weekends I've ever had. One of the highlights was the 'scrummaging' with Canadian fans for 30 minutes after the game. Jaysus they like their beards!

My voice should be back by Thursday.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

kuang1 wrote: »

One of the best weekends I've ever had.
    +1 for this! Everything about it was amazing!! The atmosphere well into the early hours of Sunday morning was just brilliant. So glad we stayed in Cardiff to enjoy it all especially hearing the train horror stories :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Did anyone here stay at the Cardiff Harlequins RFC or Cardiff caravan park??
    How was it ? We've booked in to these for the France game and the QF weekend. Just wondering how things were set up etc?

Stayed in Cardiff Harlequins last Friday and Saturday night. The facilities were adequate but nothing fancy - it's a rugby club after all. Still, everything worked out really well and it was only £10 per head per night to camp. I guess campervans might be more? Maybe someone can confirm that. About 5-10 mins walk to the train station in Radyr with reasonably regular trains into Cardiff Central taking about 15 mins. About a 20/25 minute walk to the closest Tesco Express with booze and grub. The club seemed to have the bar open a lot of the weekend. We spent most of our time in Cardiff though so only had a drink there Saturday morning before the game. The bloke who organises it said that there were 250 Irish booked in for the weekend, 500 for the French match and 600 for the quarter finals.

Spent Friday evening and Saturday before and after the game in the Fanzone in Cardiff Arms Park which was savage craic. Honestly one of the best weekends away in a very long time. The place went wild when Japan scored that try. Unreal scenes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Anyone think we'll sell out or get close to selling out Wembley on Sunday? I see there's no £50 tickets left. The cheapest currently on sale are £85. Given that Wembley is 90,000 I thought they'd whack a few more £50 tickets on there to get up the capacity. It wil be amazing to see the sea of Irish at Wembley.

You can still buy England V Wales tickets which I'm suprised about. Granted you will have to pay £315 for the privilege but suprised any are there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I just can't see 90k attending an Ireland v Romania game...

If its very empty then the organisers made a big mistake on the pricing imo.

We'll see...

.ak wrote: »
    I just can't see 90k attending an Ireland v Romania game...

If its very empty then the organisers made a big mistake on the pricing imo.

We'll see...

I checked yesterday and there were no £85's left and only single £125's available.

This morning there seems to be more up, which are probably re-sales, so they are not that far away from selling it out I think. There will be some empty CAT A seats I imagine, but it wont look empty over all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

techdiver wrote:
    I checked yesterday and there were no £85's left and only single £185's available.

Just checked there now and there are £85 tickets available if anyone is interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

What were the train issues? Did it affect all routes? I'll need to get to and from Bristol Temple Meads for the France game, so want to be prepared.

Advertisement