Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

shanagarry wrote: »
    What were the train issues? Did it affect all routes? I'll need to get to and from Bristol Temple Meads for the France game, so want to be prepared.

I believe there were signalling problems at Paddington so every second train to London was cancelled. British Rail (or their privatised equivalent) allegedly put more carriages on the trains that were running but it was still chaotic. The knock on effect was very, very long queues regardless of where you were going.

Incidentally if you were delayed by over 2 hours & I suspect everyone was, my understanding is that you can claim a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

shanagarry wrote: »
    What were the train issues? Did it affect all routes? I'll need to get to and from Bristol Temple Meads for the France game, so want to be prepared.

From reports on the Web and twitter, it was nothing short of a shambles.

One hopes that they will have learned from the opening weekend, but based on the rail companies official twitter account, I wouldn't hold my breath. All responses just involve making excuses and blaming everything else except their bad planning.

There have always been issues with Cardiff when there is a full house of 2 visiting teams. They made a balls of the Olympic games matches there too. The city just simply isn't big enough and doesn't have the necessary hotels and travel infrastructure to deal with an influx of 80,000 people. Yet, Cardiff still gets a disproportionate amount of these type of fixtures. It's a pity Wembley wasn't available for the entire world cup run. Perhaps they wouldn't have needed Cardiff so much then.

I an travelling with a group from London for the quarter final and we are desperately trying to come up with an alternative to the train.

endabob1 wrote: »
    I believe there were signalling problems at Paddington so every second train to London was cancelled. British Rail (or their privatised equivalent) allegedly put more carriages on the trains that were running but it was still chaotic. The knock on effect was very, very long queues regardless of where you were going.

Incidentally if you were delayed by over 2 hours & I suspect everyone was, my understanding is that you can claim a full refund.

There were even serious issues on Sunday for the Wales game! The Welsh supporters were saying it's the worst organisation they've seen.

Seems the rail service is putting in a performance akin to Ireland's 2007 performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

techdiver wrote: »
    There have always been issues with Cardiff when there is a full house of 2 visiting teams....influx of 80,000 people.
    ....I an travelling with a group from London for the quarter final and we are desperately trying to come up with an alternative to the train.

Lest anyone need reminding, there will be 4 visiting teams and their supporters there for the QF weekend...yoikes!

kuang1 wrote: »
    Lest anyone need reminding, there will be 4 visiting teams and their supporters there for the QF weekend...yoikes!

The thoughts of it!

I'm really looking forward to it and dreading the torture of getting to and from the match in equal measure!

• Advertisement

Another solution for the train company is to only sell tickers in advance. In doing so they will know the exact numbers.

What's annoying is we have booked and paid for our tickets on a specific time tabled service, yet we will have no preference over walk ups. So the service I booked us irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

From reports on the Web and twitter, it was nothing short of a shambles.

One hopes that they will have learned from the opening weekend, but based on the rail companies official twitter account, I wouldn't hold my breath. All responses just involve making excuses and blaming everything else except their bad planning.

There have always been issues with Cardiff when there is a full house of 2 visiting teams. They made a balls of the Olympic games matches there too. The city just simply isn't big enough and doesn't have the necessary hotels and travel infrastructure to deal with an influx of 80,000 people. Yet, Cardiff still gets a disproportionate amount of these type of fixtures. It's a pity Wembley wasn't available for the entire world cup run. Perhaps they wouldn't have needed Cardiff so much then.

I an travelling with a group from London for the quarter final and we are desperately trying to come up with an alternative to the train.
    Im planning on busing it from london

Im planning on busing it from london

National express or some other?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I might just see about ordering a taxi Cardiff-Bristol for Saturday night if that's possible.

National express or some other?

For the France game I am going on munster supports bus up and down on the day.

For qf weekend early national express down sat morning and back late on the sunday I think. It being a 1pm game gives lots of time to enjoy the win and then catch the bus later

• Advertisement

For the France game I am going on munster supports bus up and down on the day.

For qf weekend early national express down sat morning and back late on the sunday I think. It being a 1pm game gives lots of time to enjoy the win and then catch the bus later

Cheers for the info.

I've no accommodation booked, so limited to a day tripper.

Cheers for the info.

I've no accommodation booked, so limited to a day tripper.

Will be a munster supporters bus doing a day trip for qf too. I am going to both games so staying on the saturday night.

Doing it for france game. 49 euro and be able to relax and have a few cans on the way up and down and a bit of a sing song i am sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I might just see about ordering a taxi Cardiff-Bristol for Saturday night if that's possible.

Thats what we did this weekend. Four of us in the car and cost £80, so only a few pounds more than a train ticket without the stress of queuing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

.ak wrote: »
    I just can't see 90k attending an Ireland v Romania game...

If its very empty then the organisers made a big mistake on the pricing imo.

We'll see...

I think if they get over 70,000 in Wembley it will be a great result. If they got slightly over 80,000 it would be immense as the crowd will be 80% (or more) of Irish fans.

Anything like 85,000 would be a crazy attendance for a pool game involving Romania!

Imagine what the Romania players are thinking... Full house in the Olympic Stadium on Wednesday then a 70,000 plus crowd in Wembley on Sunday.... Crazy stuff!

I think if they get over 70,000 in Wembley it will be a great result. If they got slightly over 80,000 it would be immense as the crowd will be 80% (or more) of Irish fans.

Anything like 85,000 would be a crazy attendance for a pool game involving Romania!

Imagine what the Romania players are thinking... Full house in the Olympic Stadium on Wednesday then a 70,000 plus crowd in Wembley on Sunday.... Crazy stuff!

Just checked there now.

There are only singles left in Cat B. There seems to be a batch of Cat D released today, but I think they will sell.

Come Sunday I reckon it will be close to a full house.

CAT Ds available right now.

CAT Ds available right now.

Interesting fact for conspiracy theorists out there.
    Right now I can buy 4 CAT D tickets for Romania game if I wanted.
    Smacks a bit of higher category tickets getting renamed as Ds if they're that easily available now having been very scarce in the last few weeks...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Thats what we did this weekend. Four of us in the car and cost £80, so only a few pounds more than a train ticket without the stress of queuing!

Did you book in advance? There will be 4 of us too, so just seems like the most logical choice. Especially don't want to be spending hours getting back to Bristol just to have to head back early the next morning!

Smacks a bit of higher category tickets getting renamed as Ds if they're that easily available now having been very scarce in the last few weeks...

It might be the case that people just exchanged them for something else?

I'd say they're just resales from people not going.

You'll know for sure if they are higher category if you buy one to test it out LOL.

• Advertisement

I'd say they're just resales from people not going.

You'll know for sure if they are higher category if you buy one to test it out LOL.

Lol.
    Well if anyone here buys a Cat D ticket this lunchtime, do be a dear and let us know how good a ticket it is would you?!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

When travelling by ferry is it true that you only need ID, not a passport...so will my driving license do?? My passport has just gone out of date and it would save me renewing it for now.

I traveled from Rosslare to Pembrook and back and never once got asked for ID.

I traveled from Rosslare to Pembrook and back and never once got asked for ID.

Same for us...Rosslare to Fishguard

Cat D are just single tickets now.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

is it possible to book taxis now for that night-need to get to a lovely place called pontyclun-last train there is at 6.10-ridiculous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

There's a stagecoach bus service to tonypandy that goes thru' pontyclun. Think it's about half an hour or so to Cardiff and back. Runs later than the trains.

Edit: just checked it there...seems sundays and bank holidays they finish the service pretty early too. Jeez!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

yup its crazy! no sign of extra buses being put on or anything. i rang my hotel and they say it'll be 25 pounds for a taxi but actually getting a taxi that night is the problem. it was mayhem on saturday there but luckily had a hotel in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Not to jump the gun but there is tickets for Pool D winners Quarters there too ...

Saucy price though

Rosslare to Pembroke should have an extra service earlier in the morning for Irish fans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Did you book in advance? There will be 4 of us too, so just seems like the most logical choice. Especially don't want to be spending hours getting back to Bristol just to have to head back early the next morning!

Yeah we booked in advance but there were a few available taxi drivers waiting around the train station as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

Two of us drove from Stansted to Cardiff on Saturday. It was a dream apart from trying to find where the pre booked car park was. Will be doing it again for the France game and quarterfinals.

Advertisement