Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I wouldn't trust First Great Western to sort anything out - the only thing reliable about them is how bad they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Does anyone know if you can get a ticket reprinted? I am flying to the Italy match from China so had my match ticket shipped here. Tracking says it was received in china on Saturday and still no sign so I am getting a bit worried
    Ticket arrived today - panic over:D

Many of us on here heading to the italy game?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

crisco10 wrote: »
    Anybody know if all these delays apply to west bound trains from Cardiff as well? Will be getting to Swansea after QF's, and a little worried by these horror stories!

Although, they should have them ironed out by QF stage....right?

I got the train going that direction to Port Talbot on Sunday. There was a fairly big queue but I think we got lucky as when we joined it we were only in it a few minutes before we got let through to the platform. We were also lucky that we got to sit in first class. I don't think any of the Irish sitting in first class had a first class ticket:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Was in Olympic stadium last night. I can confirm that there are seats over the running track so you end up being quite close to the action. Will try attach a pic.

Probably further away in the higher stands but decent sized screens present!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

sullivlo wrote: »
    Was in Olympic stadium last night. I can confirm that there are seats over the running track so you end up being quite close to the action. Will try attach a pic.

Probably further away in the higher stands but decent sized screens present!

Looks like an impressive stadium.

What was the atmosphere like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

Would there be any advantage to waiting around until the last train leaving Cardiff to let the crowds die down?

What was it like for the Canada game for anyone who did that?

Since the Sunday Quarter Final (fingers crossed we get to that one), is an early kick off, do people think the train situation will be better since there is an entire afternoon/evening to get people home.

I hate to think how bad the France game and the Saturday Quarter Final will be seeing as it is an 8pm kick off.

techdiver wrote: »
    Would there be any advantage to waiting around until the last train leaving Cardiff to let the crowds die down?

What was it like for the Canada game for anyone who did that?

Since the Sunday Quarter Final (fingers crossed we get to that one), is an early kick off, do people think the train situation will be better since there is an entire afternoon/evening to get people home.

I hate to think how bad the France game and the Saturday Quarter Final will be seeing as it is an 8pm kick off.

Depends if we win or lose. Could see people wanting to get out early if we lost. If ireland win I imagine everyone will have the idea so stay and enjoy the craic in cardiff as late as possible before heading out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Slowest week ever flying out tomorrow evening for the game on Sunday. I expect us to put up a big score against Romania as they will be shagged from playing last night

Depends if we win or lose. Could see people wanting to get out early if we lost. If ireland win I imagine everyone will have the idea so stay and enjoy the craic in cardiff as late as possible before heading out

I wonder though will the fact that it is Sunday mean London based people might need to work the next day.

Does anyone know what the later services for the Canada game were like going back to London?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

.ak wrote: »
    Looks like an impressive stadium.

What was the atmosphere like?

It's a very impressive stadium. Nice location too and good surroundings. Right beside the largest indoor shopping centre in Europe. Which is where I am now!!

In all seriousness though. Lots of bars, lots of food outlets, LOTS of toilets.

Very good atmosphere too, despite many neutrals in the venue. Great fun. Very glad I travelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

Tickets across all categories for both Italy and France Matches are up now.

Tickets for QF2 - A B C
    Tickets for QF3 - A B C D

Typical! I don't get paid until tomorrow! :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Think they are just teasing us, anyone manage to add a France category D ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Given they couldn't manage Australia v Fiji yesterday, I've no faith at all that it will be anything other than chaos after the France game. They just can't get people through and on trains quickly enough - they can only move 10,000 people per hour so you could potentially wait three hours plus. From looking at Arriva Wales' twitter, that seems to have been the case last night.

I was going to take the train between Bristol Temple Meads and Cardiff, but I think we will by divvying up the designated driver responsibilities over the various games.

Is anyone staying in Llanelli?

Was thinking about staying there the saturday night. Seems a little tight on trian time to get to cardiff on the Sunday for the 1pm kick off?

Btw, if anyone spots SF tickets available at any stage, please post. I have Cat Bs but I'm looking to cheapen things!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Think they are just teasing us, anyone manage to add a France category D ticket?

No it wouldn't let me buy single or double.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

adrian522 wrote: »

No but did get a pair of CAT Cs in row 2 on the 22...having sat in row 7 at the endline for the canada game I've now been converted to someone who loves being close to the action. I always preferred being higher up so as I could see all player movements off the ball etc.
    Will be posting my upper tier pair of CAT Cs for resale now. Chuffed!

Just discovered that the friend I am staying with weekend of the italy match lives 20 mins from the stadium. Couldnt have planned it better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Two of us drove from Stansted to Cardiff on Saturday. It was a dream apart from trying to find where the pre booked car park was. Will be doing it again for the France game and quarterfinals.

Just about to book this route myself. Any difficulty with rental cars/motorways etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Scythica

connundrum wrote: »
    Just about to book this route myself. Any difficulty with rental cars/motorways etc?

Live in England for a few years now, You'll have to jump on the M25 for a bit which you'll either hate everyone or it'll be fine, never an inbetween I've found. Then onto M4 all the way to Cardiff, generally slows up near the M5 junction at Bristol and towards the tunnels in Wales but really you're on the same stretch of road for 80% of the journey, pretty easy if sometimes frustrating.

kuang1 wrote: »
    No but did get a pair of CAT Cs in row 2 on the 22...having sat in row 7 at the endline for the canada game I've now been converted to someone who loves being close to the action. I always preferred being higher up so as I could see all player movements off the ball etc.
    Will be posting my upper tier pair of CAT Cs for resale now. Chuffed!

Don't be giving me ideas! Is there a way of seeing where the tickets are before you pay for them, or are you just sucking up the delivery fee and deciding which ones to keep post purchase?

Just give yourself loads of time and you will be fine. Apparently the M4 was quite congested around Cardiff yesterday. I assume more are driving now because of the train issues. I believe there are park and rides though, where you can park on the outskirts and take a shuttle bus in to the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

shanagarry wrote: »
    Just give yourself loads of time and you will be fine. Apparently the M4 was quite congested around Cardiff yesterday. I assume more are driving now because of the train issues. I believe there are park and rides though, where you can park on the outskirts and take a shuttle bus in to the stadium.

I did that against Canada (coming from Bournemouth) and will be doing it again for the game against France. The only P+R available was Cardiff West which meant getting across to the other side of the city which was unfortunate. The shuttle bus service was painless. Overall travel time was probably about an hour extra all of which was on the part of the journey that would be used from London.

Park and Ride link

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

We passed it from the other side leaving Wales on Sunday before the Uruguay game and it was busy pretty much from the toll all the way to Cardiff.
    When we drove up the previous day for the Canada game it wasn't that bad, queues before the toll but after that it moved along at a decent pace, we were there good and early though, left London at 8 & were past Cardiff (we were going on to Neath) by about 10:30/10:40 including a weewee stop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I've tickets for the 13:00 kickoff for the Sunday 18th Oct QF.

Presuming the game goes on till 15:00, faffing around till 16:00, back to the P&R (Cardiff west) for 17:00, I'm needing to be back in Stanstead for a 22:00 flight. I'm presuming (barring acts of God) that I'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Don't be giving me ideas! Is there a way of seeing where the tickets are before you pay for them, or are you just sucking up the delivery fee and deciding which ones to keep post purchase?

I am sucking up the delivery fee to a point. The tickets I've bought for friends I've not hesiated to build in their portion of the delivery fee as I convert what they owe me to euros.

A note on the £15 delivery fees btw: rang rwc ticketing hq last week inquiring about all the deliveries I had paid for versus how many deliveries it took to deliver all my tickets. They refunded the difference without hesitation. (Had to wait on hold for about 10 minutes first though)

Absolutely no way of knowing seat rows and numbers before purchase unfortunately. (I asked)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Presuming the game goes on till 15:00, faffing around till 16:00, back to the P&R (Cardiff west) for 17:00, I'm needing to be back in Stanstead for a 22:00 flight. I'm presuming (barring acts of God) that I'll be ok.

You should be and it shouldn't take near an hour to get back to Cardiff West.

I actually found it very easy. Was a little nervous as I don't drive very much, but must say it was a great option. Traffic can slow down in places, particularly at large junctions, like Bristol. We used Google Maps to keep us on the right track and took us of the M4 before the bridge and we crossed closer to Newport, which was a breeze with no queuing. The only issue we had was finding the park and ride, as the sign posting was shocking! But over all a pretty good experience.
    Scythica wrote: »
    Live in England for a few years now, You'll have to jump on the M25 for a bit which you'll either hate everyone or it'll be fine, never an inbetween I've found. Then onto M4 all the way to Cardiff, generally slows up near the M5 junction at Bristol and towards the tunnels in Wales but really you're on the same stretch of road for 80% of the journey, pretty easy if sometimes frustrating.

Agreed. The fact that you don't have to change road makes it so much easier.
    Clearlier wrote: »
    I did that against Canada (coming from Bournemouth) and will be doing it again for the game against France. The only P+R available was Cardiff West which meant getting across to the other side of the city which was unfortunate. The shuttle bus service was painless. Overall travel time was probably about an hour extra all of which was on the part of the journey that would be used from London.

Park and Ride link

Trying to find the park and ride option was a little annoying because they didn't seem to signpost it very well. But it made going there that little bit easier, as you knew you had somewhere to park. We were talking to friends, who live close to Cardiff, who said there are other park and ride options that dont have time restrictions and are cheaper. Will post the details when I get them.

• Advertisement

You will need to give yourself max of about 4 hours to get to and from Stansted. We took it handy on Saturday and it just took under that time.

Also remember the car hire pick up is about 5-10 minute shuttle bus from the Airport and they operate every 10 minutes or so.

Advertisement