Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Some one stole my card details and tried to use it to buy a bunch of crap online so the bank had to cancel my card. Means I now have to fly to London for the weekend with a heap of cash which is a real pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Some one stole my card details and tried to use it to buy a bunch of crap online so the bank had to cancel my card. Means I now have to fly to London for the weekend with a heap of cash which is a real pain.

I think you can get one-use credit cards topped up for use in these situations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Riskymove wrote: »

Yeah, can't you get them in the post office for dollars and sterling?

Riskymove wrote: »
    Yeah, can't you get them in the post office for dollars and sterling?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057481488

This is the ideal option (as cuts FX fees to zero), however takes 5 days for the physical card to be dispatched. Might be useful for someone else though.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Damnit, just missed the Cat C SFs. Thanks for the heads up Zambrotta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Can anyone recommend a good rugby pub in London to watch England v Australia? I'm thinking around Covent Garden or Trafalgar Square area. We watched the England v Wales in the Fanzone in The Olympic Park but I'm looking for somewhere indoors with seats this time.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good rugby pub in London to watch England v Australia? I'm thinking around Covent Garden or Trafalgar Square area. We watched the England v Wales in the Fanzone in The Olympic Park but I'm looking for somewhere indoors with seats this time.

Are you prepared to get there 4 hours before kick off and not be able to get to the bar or toilets?

The 3 bolded points can't really work together if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Porterhouse or Philomena's in Covent Garden. Waxy O'Connors or O'Neills near Leicester Square. They're all big places but will probably be rammed. Where are you staying? Might be able to recommend somewhere handier.

Porterhouse or Philomena's in Covent Garden. Waxy O'Connors or O'Neills near Leicester Square. They're all big places but will probably be rammed. Where are you staying? Might be able to recommend somewhere handier.

We'll be staying in Whitechapel near Aldgate Station. Now that I think of it we might head around to Minories, we popped in there at the weekend and it seemed OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I've just bought 2 tickets for the final on viagogo for...get this... €19 each. 2 CAT Cs seating together. NINETEEN EURO.
    Together with delivery and fees it came to €72.

Now obviously I smell a rat, but viagogo have their guarantee in place over all purchases. I'm assuming someone put them up for sale and left out a couple of zeros???

I've read over the confirmation email and it says I'm going to the RWC final on October 31st at 4.00pm in Twickenham...

I've sent off an email to them to see if it's all above board or whatever...I'll keep ye all posted.

• Advertisement

We'll be staying in Whitechapel near Aldgate Station. Now that I think of it we might head around to Minories, we popped in there at the weekend and it seemed OK.

Not great on rugby pubs round there - but here's a list of pubs showing it near that postcode - also a lot of them offer 2-for-1 on your first Guinness if you download the App: http://www.matchpint.co.uk/bars-performing-england-vs-australia-185284

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭llcoolj14

Not great on rugby pubs round there - but here's a list of pubs showing it near that postcode - also a lot of them offer 2-for-1 on your first Guinness if you download the App: http://www.matchpint.co.uk/bars-performing-england-vs-australia-185284

Would you consider any of he places you suggested near Covent Garden above as good rugby pubs?(Or was it just the biggest Irish bars in the area?) I wouldnt dream of going to any of them to watch a rugby match personally but am aware the poster asked for that location!Woudl be akin to sending some one to Temple Bar on a rugbyw eekend in Dublin imo!(and indeed thats what some people want!)
    Not many decent rugby bars in central London in fairness.
    What exactly are you looking for? Average bars seemed pretty wedged last week for the Wales game around the place. Somewhere with more of a rugby crowd?Somewhere less busy? Big screens etc etc

The tube you are on gets you to most places pretty easily including the IRFU/provincial Irish fan event that is on Saturday incase you havnt heard of it/are looking ot make a night of it: http://ursc.co/?p=7125 Away from that is really depends what your looking for!

llcoolj14 wrote: »
    Would you consider any of he places you suggested near Covent Garden above as good rugby pubs?(Or was it just the biggest Irish bars in the area?) I wouldnt dream of going to any of them to watch a rugby match personally but am aware the poster asked for that location!Woudl be akin to sending some one to Temple Bar on a rugbyw eekend in Dublin imo!(and indeed thats what some people want!)
    Not many decent rugby bars in central London in fairness.

Of course not, but they asked for that location so that's what i gave them. I mentioned they'd be wedged.

Just heard another horror story from the Australia-Fiji game in Cardiff last Thursday from a colleague. She had to get a cab from Cardiff to Bath after waiting 90 minutes in the rain in the train queue!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

kuang1 wrote: »
    I've just bought 2 tickets for the final on viagogo for...get this... €19 each. 2 CAT Cs seating together. NINETEEN EURO.
    Together with delivery and fees it came to €72.

Now obviously I smell a rat, but viagogo have their guarantee in place over all purchases. I'm assuming someone put them up for sale and left out a couple of zeros???

I've read over the confirmation email and it says I'm going to the RWC final on October 31st at 4.00pm in Twickenham...

I've sent off an email to them to see if it's all above board or whatever...I'll keep ye all posted.

Yeah clearly something wrong. Companies like this are usually covered for pricing errors and would be in their rights to not give you the tickets for that price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

llcoolj14 wrote: »
    Would you consider any of he places you suggested near Covent Garden above as good rugby pubs?

Depends on your definition of good rugby pubs really. The rugby will be on and there will be a big crowd watching it.

Yeah clearly something wrong. Companies like this are usually covered for pricing errors and would be in their rights to not give you the tickets for that price.

Even if the error is on the part of the seller not the company?
    "All sales are final" is something they seem to emblazon all over the website.

I see in their terms they say they have the right to charge the seller for comparable tickets if they don't deliver. You may have some hope yet but there is a 48 hour window for the seller to report a problem and since the comparable tickets are 100 times more expensive it might be ruled to be a genuine error (I'm not sure on viagogo's terms on this).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

You've probably bought a painting of two tickets!

So turns out seller contacted viagogo after I purchased to say that he couldn't provide the tickets advertised. He gets fined (they wouldn't tell me how much) and a slap on the wrist and I get a refund.
    All a non-event really!

So turns out seller contacted viagogo after I purchased to say that he couldn't provide the tickets advertised. He gets fined (they wouldn't tell me how much) and a slap on the wrist and I get a refund.
    All a non-event really!

£20 per ticket according to their terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mc1988

Hi guys,

I'll be attending the Welsh game in the Millennium Stadium on Thursday. I've got some category D tickets, says they are area U9. According to stadium plan these would be on East Stand on halfway line. Could this be correct? They would appear to be good seats for the £50 category. Wonder if I'm missing something?!

mc1988 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'll be attending the Welsh game in the Millennium Stadium on Thursday. I've got some category D tickets, says they are area U9. According to stadium plan these would be on East Stand on halfway line. Could this be correct? They would appear to be good seats for the £50 category. Wonder if I'm missing something?!

Are you sure it isn't U19, which is in the Cat D section, c.f. these two pics

venue3.seatmap.gif

MilenniumStadiumCardiffSeatingPlan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mc1988

Are you sure it isn't U19, which is in the Cat D section, c.f. these two pics

Thanks for that, I checked and its definitely U9 (I can't post screen shot as I am a new user)
    Unless it's a seat with a pole or something in front of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

A short note re my experience of the Fanzone in Wembley last Sunday.

Felt it was fiercely overpriced and continues the general trend of gouging the regular fans which has unfortunately been my experience of this World Cup. Bottle of Heineken was stg£7. The guts of €10 FFS. Food also overpriced. Long queues for drinks. We left after two drinks and headed into the ground early. Will be avoiding the Fanzone in Cardiff for the QF based on that.

Great occasion overall and really good to be there but we're not going to win any World Cups based on that performance...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

garbanzo wrote: »

Felt it was fiercely overpriced and continues the general trend of gouging the regular fans which has unfortunately been my experience of this World Cup. Bottle of Heineken was stg£7. The guts of €10 FFS. Food also overpriced. Long queues for drinks. We left after two drinks and headed into the ground early. Will be avoiding the Fanzone in Cardiff for the QF based on that.

Great occasion overall and really good to be there but we're not going to win any World Cups based on that performance...

I was there too and the bottle of Heineken was £5.

I agree about the queueing though. Although, no matter where you go on match day in the UK you will be waiting for drink. They are utterly hopeless at serving quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

A bottle of Heineken was £5... And thats the same price everywhere in London... not sure what your on about to be honest... Sporting events in general are way overpriced, everyone knows that. Food was the same price as any pop up food stalls in London. The queues were long but I got served in less than 5 minutes (tops) each time I was at the bar and I was there since 1.30pm.

I've been to fanszones in Gloucester, Wembley and Olympic Stadium all have been very good. The fanszone in Arms Park is supposed to be immense.

P.s those bottles are 400ml rather than your usual 330ml.

I was in the Olympic Park Fanzone for the England v Wales game and pints of Heineken or Murphys were I think £5.40.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Some Cat Ds or the italy game on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Just got one and flight to London.
    Well why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Managed to bag 4 tickets for Sunday. Can't wait!!

Anyone have any experience of the queues at box office collection? Will I have to go really early to avoid a long wait?

Advertisement