Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

A bottle of Heineken was £5... And thats the same price everywhere in London... not sure what your on about to be honest... Sporting events in general are way overpriced, everyone knows that. Food was the same price as any pop up food stalls in London. The queues were long but I got served in less than 5 minutes (tops) each time I was at the bar and I was there since 1.30pm.

I've been to fanszones in Gloucester, Wembley and Olympic Stadium all have been very good. The fanszone in Arms Park is supposed to be immense.

P.s those bottles are 400ml rather than your usual 330ml.

Richmond Park was truly awful in my experience, was designed for the amount that turned and they had no plan of how to deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

Richmond Park was truly awful in my experience, was designed for the amount that turned and they had no plan of how to deal with it

Agree regarding the queuing. It was shocking. One of our party queued for an hour for a drink. Food stalls were just as bad.

In fairness it peaked between 7pm to 9pm and then died down. How they manage bars in England is shocking anyway. In Richmond, you had one person take your order and dissappear off to fill each drink to order and another person to deal with the money and then stare at you until person 1 comes back with the drinks.

Why don't they have staff just filling pints in bulk?? Although in saying that, they only had bottles in Wembley fanzone and were just as slow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

As I said I've been to three different fanzines and they have all been very good.

In regards to Richmond they obviously couldn't cope with the amount of traffic they got. That was probably England's biggest game given they could be out of the tournament come Saturday so probably won't be that busy again.

I was at both Wembley games and the bar was noticeable less busy for Argentina V New Zealand game, you could walk right up and get a drink. While for ireland v Romania the bar started getting busy at the end of the first half of Scotland V USA when the floods of people fans in all at once. The bar staff were useless but that's more of an English bar culture than the fanszone but there's not much you can do when 10,000+ fans come in at once and automatically want a drink, there will be queues no matter where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Any suggestions on late bars in London on Sunday night or good areas with some late bars? We are staying near Oxford street. Haven’t been out in London for years, but remember Sunday night being early closing night.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

murphym7 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on late bars in London on Sunday night or good areas with some late bars? We are staying near Oxford street. Haven’t been out in London for years, but remember Sunday night being early closing night.

O'Neills near Leicester Square will be hopping. You hear a lot of Irish people giving it the usual 'I didn't come to London to go to an Irish Bar!", but in fairness, it's a great bar (spread over several floors) and good craic. Expect to queue for a bit, and bit longer depending how late you get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

nc6000 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good rugby pub in London to watch England v Australia? I'm thinking around Covent Garden or Trafalgar Square area. We watched the England v Wales in the Fanzone in The Olympic Park but I'm looking for somewhere indoors with seats this time.

There are no 'rugby pubs' per se, but there are lots of pubs with tellies. The porterhouse would be my recommendation; it'll be busy though. The Lamb and Flag would be good too. They'll all be busy so you'll be lucky to get a seat unless you arrive early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Tickets up again.

Have a Cat B for the semi in the basket.

Decisions, decisions....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭finbarrk

murphym7 wrote: »

O'Neills as was said already. Best bar in town. Hopefully I should be there myself. Wardour St. is the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Printworks Bar & Restaurant is the meeting place for MRSC before the Italy Game. Stratford High St., about 10-15 mins from the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭llcoolj14

finbarrk wrote: »
    The Printworks Bar & Restaurant is the meeting place for MRSC before the Italy Game. Stratford High St., about 10-15 mins from the stadium.

And also after the game! They have extended the lisence to stay open until 3am...have live Irish music on post game, and a few other things put on.

Lots of London will be dead on a Sunday night/early close(regardles of whats going on), so imagine the choice is the Printworks or tourist central

All these Sunday games are becoming annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 iane87

just after buying a ticket for the QF2, (if Ireland come 2nd in pool) Does anyone know if the ticket will be delivered before we go or if it'll have to be collected at the stadium.

iane87 wrote: »
    just after buying a ticket for the QF2, (if Ireland come 2nd in pool) Does anyone know if the ticket will be delivered before we go or if it'll have to be collected at the stadium.

If they charged you delivery fee, then it will be posted, otherwise you will collect.

It would detail that in the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Corcs001 wrote: »
    Managed to bag 4 tickets for Sunday. Can't wait!!

Anyone have any experience of the queues at box office collection? Will I have to go really early to avoid a long wait?

When i was at the olympic stadium for the France Romania game, I was there about an hour early and the queue was about 60 yards. Seemed to be moving quite quickly as there were about 10 collection windows open.
    techdiver wrote: »
    I was there too and the bottle of Heineken was £5.

I agree about the queueing though. Although, no matter where you go on match day in the UK you will be waiting for drink. They are utterly hopeless at serving quickly.

Service at the venues is lolbad. They fill pints on demand, with a useless pump which trickles beer in the glass, and only take one order at a time. It's a joke. Pints at the Olympic stadium were £5 fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

anyone know of any daytrips to the French game still available, managed to get tickets to the game today

Rang a few of the usual operators and they are all sold out.
    -killester
    -TB Tours
    -abbey
    -Club something

and one or two more that I found on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I normally bring my trusty hip flask with me on match days? Anyone know if i will have trouble with this i.e are there searches?

I normally bring my trusty hip flask with me on match days? Anyone know if i will have trouble with this i.e are there searches?

They searched our bags, so maybe keep it in your pocket, or even down the front of your jeans for entry.

They took the lids off our water bottles going into Wembley, which is ****ing annoying. It's a rugby match not a soccer match!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

Does anybody know if the ref radios are usable in more than one venue? I am going to quite a few games at 3 different stadiums and I wouldn't want to have to buy a new one at even venue.

Or even better, does any the frequency of the ref radio at the matches? Maybe I could use the FM radio on my phone like at the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

techdiver wrote: »
    They searched our bags, so maybe keep it in your pocket, or even down the front of your jeans for entry.

They took the lids off our water bottles going into Wembley, which is ****ing annoying. It's a rugby match not a soccer match!

I stuck my rucksack under my seat and it got soaked from people spilling those bottles of water (at least it wasn't beer). Perhaps the searching standards were different at different entry points but they didn't bother looking in my bag, just asked me if I had any drinks and when I told them that I had cartons of juice for the kids they just let me through. Turned out I had a bottle of water too in one of the side pockets that I had forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

They took lids off bottles in the millennium stadium when giving them, however they left the lids on them in the Olympic stadium. No consistency!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Riskymove wrote: »
    I think you can get one-use credit cards topped up for use in these situations
    Cheers I am flying in from china so its not ideal timing but I do have a travel card that I hopefully can just add to in Heathrow and use that for the few days im there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

PTH2009 wrote: »

Ha ha!

If England lose this weekend, there will be plenty available at face value next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

Anyone use the park and ride from Cardiff West for the Canada game? Booked in for France match and wondering how long it might take to get out after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

timaru89 wrote: »
    Anyone use the park and ride from Cardiff West for the Canada game? Booked in for France match and wondering how long it might take to get out after

I did and I'll be using it for the France match too. We left straight away, there was about 5 - 10 min queue to get the bus which was about a 10min journey. Less traffic on the way home than there was on the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Does anybody know if the ref radios are usable in more than one venue? I am going to quite a few games at 3 different stadiums and I wouldn't want to have to buy a new one at even venue.

Or even better, does any the frequency of the ref radio at the matches? Maybe I could use the FM radio on my phone like at the Aviva.

I don't know if your FM radio will work but you can definitely use the ref talk radios at multiple games and locations. I'm going to a lot of games so I invested at the Canada match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Doubs wrote: »
    There are no 'rugby pubs' per se, but there are lots of pubs with tellies. The porterhouse would be my recommendation; it'll be busy though. The Lamb and Flag would be good too. They'll all be busy so you'll be lucky to get a seat unless you arrive early.

I think we'll head along to this on Saturday....

https://www.tickettailor.com/checkout/view-event/id/33114/chk/d1d0

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

PTH2009 wrote: »

Jeez, I've one of those. Quids in!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Yeah, will work at other venues. I tried tuning in on my phone on Sunday in Wembley with no joy, might invest in one as I'm going to the game at the weekend, then England v Australia first half as I'm required on shift for after that, hoping to pick up a number of other spectator services shifts in Twickenham. Few volunteers being left stand with security and can watch most of the game from decent positions, might chance it for the SF and final

12K for the booking fee - unbelievable! English friend has tickets for both Twickenham QF booked, so tempted to ask him to give me one (since the English might not be there anyway! :D )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It may have changed, but back in the day there were two ref radio providers (RefTalk and RefLink I think). One was at 96FM and you could listen in on a radio, one was below normal radio frequencies so you had to buy a radio. You can use that radio in all stadia that use the same provider though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Anyone know how long the battery lasts? Going to games the next three weekends, would be handy to only have to buy one.

Advertisement