Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

Plenty of tickets up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anyone getting the ferry to Cardiff? Going over for the QF weekend and wondering which route to take from Hollyhead. Options are either the A487 & A470 or the A55, A483, A55 and A49 or A55, M56, M6, M5 and M50. There's only ten minutes in the difference on google maps. HAs anyone done any of the routes?
    https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Dublin/Cardiff+Caravan+Park,+Pontcanna+St,+Cardiff+CF11+9XR/@52.5874401,-4.2193749,7.75z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670e80ea27ac2f:0xa00c7a9973171a0!2m2!1d-6.2603097!2d53.3498053!1m5!1m1!1s0x486e1b5ee233eb83:0xc72462871463679b!2m2!1d-3.1975469!2d51.4891435!3e0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

Plenty of tickets up

Yes, feel free to buy my cat b for the semi! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Anyone getting the ferry to Cardiff? Going over for the QF weekend and wondering which route to take from Hollyhead. Options are either the A487 & A470 or the A55, A483, A55 and A49 or A55, M56, M6, M5 and M50. There's only ten minutes in the difference on google maps. HAs anyone done any of the routes?
    https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Dublin/Cardiff+Caravan+Park,+Pontcanna+St,+Cardiff+CF11+9XR/@52.5874401,-4.2193749,7.75z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670e80ea27ac2f:0xa00c7a9973171a0!2m2!1d-6.2603097!2d53.3498053!1m5!1m1!1s0x486e1b5ee233eb83:0xc72462871463679b!2m2!1d-3.1975469!2d51.4891435!3e0

having done that drive i'd take the motorway route everytime - the other way is over some smaller roads and would be very tiring, definitely the scenic route

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

I've heard that its way easier to make your way to Chester and take the motorway down after that. Should take about 5 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

We are heading over on the Friday lunchtime. Expecting Friday evening traffic on the M6 and M5 motorway to be very heavy coupled with the midlands traffic heading to Cardiff IMO would make it a lot slower. We are going taking the A5 and A49 (Wrexham, Shrewsbury) down to Caerphilly where we are staying. we have allowed 4 hours from getting off the ferry. We have nothing else to do on Friday night only hit the boozer so not in an awful panic. might have a pit stop or two on the way down and sample some local rural welsh hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Plenty of tickets up

Gah, bit late and then got the circle of doom. Were there any SF Cat D or Final tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

glack wrote: »
    £10. Not rechargeable but I just had a proper look at mine and discovered that the white bit on the front with the world cups logo twists off to allow for a change of battery. They use a flat CR2450 battery if you wanted to be prepared.

Is there any advantage to using one of these as opposed to a standard radio? Would the commentary be more in sync with the play?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is there any advantage to using one of these as opposed to a standard radio? Would the commentary be more in sync with the play?

To my knowledge (i've yet to use them) these do not give you commentary but a feed from the Ref's microphone and the TMO.

Also the frequency for this feed is too low for standard radios

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

shanagarry wrote: »
    Gah, bit late and then got the circle of doom. Were there any SF Cat D or Final tickets?

Cat C for semi. Cat B for final, all cats for Bronze when I looked. I'm only interested in cat D for the Saturday QF in Cardiff though.

• Advertisement

To my knowledge (i've yet to use them) these do not give you commentary but a feed from the Ref's microphone and the TMO.

Also the frequency for this feed is too low for standard radios

There are a few options on the ref link radios:
    • You can listen to the ref mic only
      You can listen to commentary only
      You can listen to the commentary combined with the ref link or
      You can listen to audio described commentary - basically a commentary adapted for people with a visual impairment.

Ascii wrote: »
    We are heading over on the Friday lunchtime. Expecting Friday evening traffic on the M6 and M5 motorway to be very heavy coupled with the midlands traffic heading to Cardiff IMO would make it a lot slower. We are going taking the A5 and A49 (Wrexham, Shrewsbury) down to Caerphilly where we are staying. we have allowed 4 hours from getting off the ferry. We have nothing else to do on Friday night only hit the boozer so not in an awful panic. might have a pit stop or two on the way down and sample some local rural welsh hospitality.

That's the route I'm thinking also, we're arriving in HH at 11am but want to watch the first QF. From google it seems that the traffic around birmingham can be very heavy even on Saturday and Monday at lunchtime.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Clearlier wrote: »
    Cat C for semi. Cat B for final, all cats for Bronze when I looked. I'm only interested in cat D for the Saturday QF in Cardiff though.

Depending on how Sunday goes they could be very easy to pick up in Cardiff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Have two tickets for WD v RUC
    How difficult would it be to swap one for WC v RUD if required??

pc7 wrote: »
    Depending on how Sunday goes they could be very easy to pick up in Cardiff

Could well be but if it is France v New Zealand I think that it'll be a pretty good match with a great RWC history and if most people are there already to watch the match on Sunday then I think that they'll go to the Saturday QF as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iane87

I lived in North Wales for 2 years, I traveled the length and breath of the UK, if I have one piece of advice it is to stay away from the roads on the West Coast of Wales. They resemble boreens at some points. If I was you I would stick to the motorways. They are fantastic. 80mph easily for most of your journey.
    Take the A55 from Holyhead all the way as far as the M6 near Manchester, head south and I would take the M6 Toll road around Birmingham, it looks a little longer on the map but will save you an hour in traffic. its worth the few quid. follow the M6Toll around joining the M42 for a few miles before joing the M5 towards the SE. taking the M50 to Cardiff.

Although the temptation is to go cross country down through the middle of Wales, I'd stay away from those A roads, they are mostly single lane roads with little room for overtaking.

iane87 wrote: »

I lived in North Wales for 2 years, I traveled the length and breath of the UK, if I have one piece of advice it is to stay away from the roads on the West Coast of Wales. They resemble boreens at some points. If I was you I would stick to the motorways. They are fantastic. 80mph easily for most of your journey.
    Take the A55 from Holyhead all the way as far as the M6 near Manchester, head south and I would take the M6 Toll road around Birmingham, it looks a little longer on the map but will save you an hour in traffic. its worth the few quid. follow the M6Toll around joining the M42 for a few miles before joing the M5 towards the SE. taking the M50 to Cardiff.

Although the temptation is to go cross country down through the middle of Wales, I'd stay away from those A roads, they are mostly single lane roads with little room for overtaking.
    Thanks, I'm finding it very hard to decide on a route!

How long would you think the above route would take? We can't really afford to take longer than 5 hours each way but we have plenty of drivers if you think the A roads would be tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iane87

Either way its going to take at least 5 hours. more depending on stoppages. that's why I would stay on the motorways and go faster, (by the way, ROI licensed drivers cannot get penalty points from the UK) Also make sure to take the M6 TOLL road to avoid M6 through Birmingham.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Could well be but if it is France v New Zealand I think that it'll be a pretty good match with a great RWC history and if most people are there already to watch the match on Sunday then I think that they'll go to the Saturday QF as well.

If it is France v NZ, there will be a lot of Kiwis who are UK based heading to it given the history between the sides. Many of them are over on the OE (overseas experience) and would have planned it to be here tournament time. Spoke with two Kiwi's pre tournament who name checked France as a side to watch.

Does anyone know how the ticket resale works from a point of view of first in first out etc?

Does it sell the tickets randomly or if you try and sell a block of 4 does it try to sell them as a block or will it sell them individually?

I would hope that the tickets are sold based on when they were submitted for resale, but not so confident of that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

True, we have guaranteed tickets to the Irish one and are hoping to pick tixkets up for the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

efb wrote: »
    Have two tickets for WD v RUC
    How difficult would it be to swap one for WC v RUD if required??

You going this weekend? I've the same as you and i'm bringing my QF tickets with me to swap/sell if need be afterwards.

pc7 wrote: »
    True, we have guaranteed tickets to the Irish one and are hoping to pick tixkets up for the other one.

That's brilliant - could you let me know which is the Irish one - it would take away a fair bit of the stress from this weekend!

That's brilliant - could you let me know which is the Irish one - it would take away a fair bit of the stress from this weekend!

Lol we booked a package trip so we were covered for whichever QF we are in, I don't have psychic skills unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

There are a few options on the ref link radios:
    • You can listen to the ref mic only
      You can listen to commentary only
      You can listen to the commentary combined with the ref link or
      You can listen to audio described commentary - basically a commentary adapted for people with a visual impairment.
    Cheers guys. Sounds decent enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sorry I'm not heading over this weekend now, should be a cracking atmosphere. Heading to Cardiff and London the following 2 weekends though so should make up for it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

Just got a Cat D ticket for the final! Absolutely ecstatic! If you head over to the website there may still be a few left

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Just got a Cat D ticket for the final! Absolutely ecstatic! If you head over to the website there may still be a few left

Well done! I was trying to snatch one but failed. There will be more opportunities to bag one though. ..just gotta stay sharp.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Well done! I was trying to snatch one but failed. There will be more opportunities to bag one though. ..just gotta stay sharp.

I grabbed a Cat C the other day. Haven't been able to grab a Cat D yet.

Will try to and then resell my Cat C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Dammit anyway, I was stuck in meetings all afternoon. In theory still C & B available, but I can't get them in the basket.

Techdriver, re your earlier qs, have you checked your account to see if your SF tickets are showing as sold there? I resold three (2+1) but only got an email to say send back the single ticket, but when I log in it says they're all sold. They were Cat B and C and sold yesterday after listing them very late Sunday night.

Advertisement