Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MJD90

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you checked sail and rail with Irish Ferries?

Might work if you don't have to be in work on the Monday?

I saw that option alright, the 4 hour train journey is a bit off putting, probably the cheapest way of going if you didn't want to travel far. I assume the ferry port you would be travelling to would be Holyhead?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Used Cardiff West P&R last Sunday signposted all the way from Jct 33 on M4
    Lad handing out leaflet advising when last bus is and map of location, it's very well organised.
    Took us bit over 2 hrs to get to Fishguard for ferry afterwards.

What's it like getting out of there after the game? Much traffic? Also can I pay on the day? Need to leg it back to Heathrow for last flight home

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Redpears

Bit the bullet booked the boat this morning followed by 2 cat d tickets this evening , happy days roll on Friday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Tempted by rail & sail from Rosslare, out Sat back sun nite/mon morning camp in Cardiff, then head to work,

Was wrecked when I drove at the weekend, and had Monday off, still tempted though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Had to put my NZ/France tickets up for resale. Couldn't justify 2 games at €200+ over the same weekend.

What's the best plan B for those of us in Cardiff on Saturday? Watch the games in a pub or Fanzone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MJD90 wrote: »
    I saw that option alright, the 4 hour train journey is a bit off putting, probably the cheapest way of going if you didn't want to travel far. I assume the ferry port you would be travelling to would be Holyhead?

Yes Holyhead, you'd have to stay over Saturday.

I shamelessly used the fact it's or anniversary this week to convince Oh we want to go, so now am hoping more cat ds come up :)

Plan would be to ferry over Saturday, stay over Sat night, drive to Cardiff Sunday, then leave immediately after the game to get the fast ferry or failing that the overnight one :)

All I need now is two Cat Ds!

Don't like the Cat Cs as they seem to be high up and I get vertigo!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

MJD90 wrote: »
    Lads, in thinking of going to the semi final in London, fingers crossed Ireland get over Argentina the weekend.

What would be the best way of travelling, I know flying into London would be expensive and I'm trying to avoid that, any recommendations on flying in elsewhere and maybe getting a train down?

Any help would be great.
    Have you checked prices? London is so big I'd be surprised if the matches made much of a difference to the cost of flights that weekend. You can get some really cheap flights if you're not flying during rush hour ie Friday or Sunday evening, even at short notice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sangre wrote: »
    Have you checked prices? London is so big I'd be surprised if the matches made much of a difference to the cost of flights that weekend. You can get some really cheap flights if you're not flying during rush hour ie Friday or Sunday evening, even at short notice.

Two semis that weekend, neither involving England etc?

And a fair chance for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MJD90

I shamelessly used the fact it's or anniversary this week to convince Oh we want to go, so now am hoping more cat ds come up :)

Plan would be to ferry over Saturday, stay over Sat night, drive to Cardiff Sunday, then leave immediately after the game to get the fast ferry or failing that the overnight one :)

Looking at the Rail Sail - out Sat morning from Dublin and back midday the Monday plus trains is €103, great deal really. It's a bank holiday in Ireland the Monday so no real panic coming back.

Only just back from the game this weekend it was unbelivable. Got the late ferry to Fishguard - stayed in hostel Friday, train to Swansea Sat morning stayed there and got train to Cardiff Sun morning, train is only 50 mins from Swansea, accom a lot cheaper in Swansea too and a great town to go out in. Great weekend overall, after that atmosphere I'm itching to get back.

Where would be decent places to stay between Holyhead and Cardiff lads?

• Advertisement

For anyone who's been in cardiff are the upper tiers as high up as the aviva?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Higher. I'm not scared of heights but I got wonky on the upper tier. They were cat d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Don't forget the poverty bus with Eurolines €87 return

In terrified of heights and was up the highest at the Munster ERC final- grand once you sit down!

Higher, but less steep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I've put back 3 cat D tickets, (all beside each other), this evening, for Ire/Arg. Q/F. Had to change plans 'cos of Monday morn' commitment. It was becoming too expensive to justify changing travel arrangements. According to the official ticketing site they will be released for general sale in 72 hours.

Had a great weekend in Wales , no travel issues and the best atmosphere/craic for any game I've attended. Hope whoever picks up the tickets has as much enjoyment as I did.

efb wrote: »
    Higher, but less steep

It was the steepness that got me, as a newb to games, I was convinced I was going to fall over and land on the pitch, I can cope with high but not steep
    Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I've put back 3 cat D tickets, (all beside each other), this evening, for Ire/Arg. Q/F. Had to change plans 'cos of Monday morn' commitment. It was becoming too expensive to justify changing travel arrangements. According to the official ticketing site they will be released for general sale in 72 hours.

Had a great weekend in Wales , no travel issues and the best atmosphere/craic for any game I've attended. Hope whoever picks up the tickets has as much enjoyment as I did.

Not showing up, they should early in the morning will check then.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Redpears

I was just checking out my seats upper north tier row 31 ,

These seem to be very high up , wouldn't be too fond of heights ill put them back up for resale in the morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I had cat D's for both Cardiff matches so far. The first ones put me in the upper tier, the second ones put me on the lower tier. Looking at the map of the ground it seems that there are more lower tier cat D's than upper tier ones. I had cat C's for Wembley and the Olympic stadium and they both had me on the lower tier which I personally didn't really like.

The millenium stadium is nothing like Croke park for steepness but there are c.72k seats so some of them are quite high up. Sorry, no experience of vertigo so I can't really advise on how you might find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Our Cat Cs for the France game were lower tier on the 22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Any showering facilities on the go?

There was I think but we only were there for one night so we went for the canned shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Anyone know best way to swap my Semi-Final 1 Ticket for a Semi-Final 2 Ticket?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Anyone gonna drive from Holyhead to london for the semi if we make it. Flights have shot right up. Thought id be ok booking before the QF

Anyone gonna drive from Holyhead to london for the semi if we make it. Flights have shot right up. Thought id be ok booking before the QF

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Holyhead,+Isle+of+Anglesey,+UK/London,+UK/@52.4091717,-4.6239043,8z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x486434b66c1c0fed:0x248e9cd08cfb236f!2m2!1d-4.633038!2d53.309441!1m5!1m1!1s0x47d8a00baf21de75:0x52963a5addd52a99!2m2!1d-0.1277583!2d51.5073509!5i2

That's a big ole drive.. ( > 5 hours)

Train not a better option?
    Virgin Trainstowards London Euston
    3 h 47 min (10 stops) · Platform 1

Sail Rail is ~ £37 single for foot passengers onto the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That's not a fun drive. Wouldn't want to be doing it hungover.

The train is absolutely fine. If you can get a seat on it all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

Hotel room in bristol premier inn available for sunday the 18th

Pm if interested

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just got 4 Cat D tickets together for the Saturday night game and it came with print at home option, nice one! Woohoo cannot friggen wait for this weekend now!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

sullivlo wrote: »
    Higher. I'm not scared of heights but I got wonky on the upper tier. They were cat d.

365444.jpg

thats where I was sitting,

Its quite high, You really wouldnt want to suffer vertigo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Donie75 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm going to London for the weekend and booked train tickets from Paddington for Sunday Morning. What time should I aim to be joining the queue on Sunday morning? The first train is at 7.45am.
    Were the trains getting to Cardiff in the stated 2 hours and twenty minutes?
    Want to make sure I'm in Cardiff at least 90 mins to 2 hours before kickoff.
    1pm kick-off could cause issues for those travelling from London. It was bad enough on Sunday where people had a whole day to travel up.

Paddington was a nightmare last weekend due to engineering works near Reading on Sunday that over ran and caused major delays to incoming trains, hence delays to outgoing trains. Not sure if there is any work there this weekend. I would try and get there as early as possible to get on a train to go

Semi final weekend is also half term/midterm from school weekend - prices go up hugely that weekend and same for the final weekend. Generally you can get cheap flights, but those weekends are generally more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

To check out your view of the stadium and other RWC things, download the blippar app. When you open it, hover it over your ticket and it should load. You can choose which stadium you are in, and then your view in the stadium. Also has a journey planner and the option to take a selfie with the RWC official ball

Advertisement