Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Whats the consensus on getting back to Bristol after the game on Saturday night. It looks like the last train wont be an option due to kick off time. Curious what the rest of you guys might be doing/planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Are we expecting the ireland arg game to sell out? I have 2 cat A tickets which have been up for resale since thursday and i saw today they just released more tickets back for sale for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

testtech05 wrote: »
    Whats the consensus on getting back to Bristol after the game on Saturday night. It looks like the last train wont be an option due to kick off time. Curious what the rest of you guys might be doing/planning?

Last Sunday we got a cab 80-90 Sterling , if you get 7 lads its cheaper than the train

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Trippie wrote: »
    Are we expecting the ireland arg game to sell out? I have 2 cat A tickets which have been up for resale since thursday and i saw today they just released more tickets back for sale for it

You'll be tight to get them sold. I have a cat c up since yesterday evening and I'm doubting it will sell because there are still cat d available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Last Sunday we got a cab 80-90 Sterling , if you get 7 lads its cheaper than the train

Cheers Bandana boy, did you book in advance with a particular company? Any chance you could share the details?

Thanks a lot,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

physioman wrote: »
    You'll be tight to get them sold. I have a cat c up since yesterday evening and I'm doubting it will sell because there are still cat d available online.

Yeah i checked yesterday and there was only A and B left so was thinking that'll be okay, wake up this morning to see new tickets for sale. sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MJD90

How does the rail sail work lads? Presuming I'm getting a ferry from Dublin port to Holyhead and choose the location of my rail line to London any, does this mean I have a return train ticket to from Holyhead to London and vice versa?

MJD90 wrote: »
    How does the rail sail work lads? Presuming I'm getting a ferry from Dublin port to Holyhead and choose the location of my rail line to London any, does this mean I have a return train ticket to from Holyhead to London and vice versa?

They're single tickets afaik.

So ~ £37 for "Dublin Port to London", and then the same again when buy your return journey again as "London Euston to Dublin Port".

So p/p about €100.

They're single tickets afaik.

So ~ £37 for "Dublin Port to London", and then the same again when buy your return journey again as "London Euston to Dublin Port".

So p/p about €100.

Thanks Emmet, suppose you'd want to be getting the train around 5 hours in advance of the ferry. I assume you'd just have to pick your times on train line and go from there.

Thanks Emmet, suppose you'd want to be getting the train around 5 hours in advance of the ferry. I assume you'd just have to pick your times on train line and go from there.

Here's a decent site for having a gawk at how the timings work. Obviously it depends on the Ferries available.

http://www.raileasy.co.uk/info/rail-sail-to-ireland#

Make sure to check the two Dublin Port options (Stena / Irish Ferries) separately to see if there's a crossing that suits time wise better.

Stena Line have a search engine too (links up with trainline) - http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferries-to-britain/rail-sail/find-and-book

If people are into the "you can sleep when you die" mantra, you could get on the ferry in Dublin port at 02:15am on Fri night / Saturday morning and be in London for 08:30.

Then coming back you hop on the train in Euston at 20:25 (Sunday night) to get back into Dublin Port at 05:45 Monday morning fresh for work!

Works out at £78 ~ €105

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Laurine

Quote: Laurine
    Hi Irish friends :-) we are French and we have 5 tickets for the final quarter of Ireland Argentina. we wish to share these tickets against those of France match New Zealand. Tickets are category D. We'll be in Cardiff from Friday Oct 16th and we'd be happy to exchange these tickets over a beer
    ;-) soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Driving back to Stanstead from Cardiff on Sunday, pretty much straight after the game. Will have space for 1-2 more if anyone's stuck.

Will exchange lift for chicken fillet rolls.

Cheers Emmet, thanks for this.

Plan looks like this -
    Ferry at 8.45 from Dublin Port in at 10.45. Looking to get Train at 11.23 to Euston London - arrives at 3.30.

Home then the Monday Train at 12.10 from Euston gets in Holyhead at 4.15. Ferry home at 5.15 arrives in Dublin for 7.04. €106 for everything.

Not a bad plan do you think? A lot of travelling I know but I'm sure that's to be expected.

Once you have a rail sail ticket for would there be any issue getting on a train the Sat or Sunday as id imagine these would be quite full??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Those CAT D tickets seem to be gone now :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Same situation for myself. Says last train is 10 past 11 that night. Surely be able to make that.

Cheers Emmet, thanks for this.

Plan looks like this -
    Ferry at 8.45 from Dublin Port in at 10.45. Looking to get Train at 11.23 to Euston London - arrives at 3.30.

Home then the Monday Train at 12.10 from Euston gets in Holyhead at 4.15. Ferry home at 5.15 arrives in Dublin for 7.04. €106 for everything.

Not a bad plan do you think? A lot of travelling I know but I'm sure that's to be expected.

Once you have a rail sail ticket for would there be any issue getting on a train the Sat or Sunday as id imagine these would be quite full??

Not a bad plan at all tbh. I quite like the trains tbh! (if you have an android phone, take a look at psiphon in the play store... will save you some cash)

There's a chance that the train from Holyhead might get quite busy (standing room left only) but given that you'll be on it from the start that shouldn't be an issue. You'll more than likely have a seat reservation included so that will entitle you to turf anyone out of your seat if the train is very busy.

I imagine that Monday train will be very straightforward too, can't imagine that being oversubscribed at all.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Same situation for myself. Says last train is 10 past 11 that night. Surely be able to make that.

Wouldn't be so sure. Queue will be mental, and once it's full it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Laurine

gucci wrote: »
    Those CAT D tickets seem to be gone now :-(

Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Yeah I am due to go to the UFC on the saturday before semi so was looking at getting the boat at 2.30 that night but seem a bit more expensive for train early sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I've got two spare beds in the bunkhouse in male dorms that I'm going to cancel later. Its sat and sun night Only thing is you need to book 2 nights. its 50 a night.

I'm going to cancel it later so could let someone else know and they could call straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I found a sail rail option here to get me into london before the semi but I need a uk address to book? Anyone know of one i can get delivered to ireland

https://www.raileasy.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Stheno wrote: »
    It was the steepness that got me, as a newb to games, I was convinced I was going to fall over and land on the pitch, I can cope with high but not steep

Not showing up, they should early in the morning will check then.

Thank you

No worries. They went this morning ( even though they said 72hrs wait). Someone bought one and the other two went as a pair soon after.

Hope you got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Starting my quarter final trip today :) flying Dublin to Cardiff at 7.30pm and making a week out of it!! Cannot wait to get going :)

I found a sail rail option here to get me into london before the semi but I need a uk address to book? Anyone know of one i can get delivered to ireland

Try here http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferries-to-britain/rail-sail/find-and-book

Looks likely its for UK only too
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ferries-to-britain/rail-sail

Gives a phone number to call
    For bookings and enquiries please call:
    01 907 5388

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They put on extra trains past the official last train but there will be a giant bloody queue.

I'm getting a taxi. Not getting back to Bristol super late just to have to get up early to get back to Cardiff for the Ireland game!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They put on extra trains past the official last train but there will be a giant bloody queue.

I'm getting a taxi. Not getting back to Bristol super late just to have to get up early to get back to Cardiff for the Ireland game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Anyone know of any private buses that are doing the drive over to cardiff this weekend and coming straight back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Cheers Bandana boy, did you book in advance with a particular company? Any chance you could share the details?

Thanks a lot,

had a number with me in Cardiff (I can pm if you want) that we got in Bristol on the sat morning.
    Had agreed a fee of 80 sterling with that number.

At going home time though one of the lads just walked up to a cab and agreed a flat fee of 90 sterling to leave there and then so ended up not using it on the way back.
    That was at 1.30am and as two of the lads were pretty full we decided it was as well to get going rather than wait and save a tenner.

I was pretty annoyed as I was planning on using the wait time to indulge in a kebab!

Trains had a long queue to get on and not everybody who queued got on despite having a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

shanagarry wrote: »
    Re buses, they had some sort of a strike this weekend, and I'm not sure if there are more planned. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but if you are planning on travelling by bus, make sure they will be running.

It was only Cardiff city buses that were on strike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Use parcel motel?!? http://www.parcelmotel.com/

Advertisement