Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MJD90

mad m wrote:
    Yeah just got two tickets at CAT D ,delighted.

Sorry Mad M couldn't reply to message for some reason earlier.

Hostel name in Fishguard is backpackers hostel.

Check the trains again - I don't think there is any going the next morning so there wouldn't be much point staying in Fishguard. Check train times again next morning. Maybe going on that night train could be best route and get accom just outside Cardiff

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Roof open or closed...does anyone know yet? Heading back over tomorrow afternoon from Dublin via London, Bath and Cardiff. Back on Monday. Can't wait now 😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

garbanzo wrote: »
    Roof open or closed...does anyone know yet? Heading back over tomorrow afternoon from Dublin via London, Bath and Cardiff. Back on Monday. Can't wait now 😀😀😀

Closed for every game in the world cup.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So while we might have gotten the Cat D tickets, it just didn't happen.

I think tbh, that I'm glad, I can't imagine the immenseness of the atmosphere especially if we are winning Sunday, but work pressures etc for me, mean it's easier to watch at home.

For 2019 I'm gonna plan, and that gives me four years to indoctrinate the OH:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Stheno wrote: »
    So while we might have gotten the Cat D tickets, it just didn't happen.

I think tbh, that I'm glad, I can't imagine the immenseness of the atmosphere especially if we are winning Sunday, but work pressures etc for me, mean it's easier to watch at home.

For 2019 I'm gonna plan, and that gives me four years to indoctrinate the OH:D

Ah that's a shame stheno. Although personally I'm still not convinced the atmosphere at the match is gonna be outstanding, more like 'good enough' given the 1.00 start and not being a sell-out. (Hope I'm wrong...and I'll be there attempting to contribute to being wrong!!!)

If you're aiming for 2019 start saving now...one of the most expensive places in the world Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

MJD90 wrote: »
    Sorry Mad M couldn't reply to message for some reason earlier.

Hostel name in Fishguard is backpackers hostel.

Check the trains again - I don't think there is any going the next morning so there wouldn't be much point staying in Fishguard. Check train times again next morning. Maybe going on that night train could be best route and get accom just outside Cardiff

No worries, I decided to go in car in end. Got a b&b to bed down for few hours. I know I asked others before about parking, but if you pre book the park&ride can you leave car for the whole day? My daughter is stoked we are going....her first time also to see Ireland play live!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

kuang1 wrote: »
    Ah that's a shame stheno. Although personally I'm still not convinced the atmosphere at the match is gonna be outstanding, more like 'good enough' given the 1.00 start and not being a sell-out. (Hope I'm wrong...and I'll be there attempting to contribute to being wrong!!!)

If you're aiming for 2019 start saving now...one of the most expensive places in the world Japan.

Well yes it is a shame, but with family dynamics it works out.

Planning for Japan which is a place I've always wanted to visit has started, OH is big into archititecture and religion so we'd have a lovely joint holiday at the next world cup tbh :)

Stheno wrote: »
    Well yes it is a shame, but with family dynamics it works out.

Planning for Japan which is a place I've always wanted to visit has started, OH is big into archititecture and religion so we'd have a lovely joint holiday at the next world cup tbh :)

I'll keep my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you!
    Btw did you get to resell your tickets in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Legion2008

Cat a's for the final available ..... A cool 715 a piece

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

kuang1 wrote: »

Are you mad? The place will be buzzing. The 1pm start will have no impact if Ireland are in the game and doing well.

• Advertisement

Are you mad? The place will be buzzing. The 1pm start will have no impact if Ireland are in the game and doing well.

Hope you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

mad m wrote: »
    Whats the story with parking in cardiff. I suppose it will be bedlam?

Parked in Cardiff East (catdiff city stadium) park and ride for the French game. £12 for the day. Got there around 12noon took around 1hr 10 from Llanelli. Very easy to get to from the M4.

Left around 10pm no traffic back in Llanelli in under an hour. It was open until 23:15 with last shuttle bus at 22:45.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just starting out on the journey now. Flying to London this morning. Enjoy the weekend everyone. Hope everyone gets to the match safe. COYBIG

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It's here at last! Booked 12 months ago fly to Cardiff today, I feel like a 5 year old on Christmas Day.
    Will be saving for Japan from the New Year !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'll be starting my trek to Dublin at 12 then Rosslaire, then Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

mad m wrote: »
    No worries, I decided to go in car in end. Got a b&b to bed down for few hours. I know I asked others before about parking, but if you pre book the park&ride can you leave car for the whole day? My daughter is stoked we are going....her first time also to see Ireland play live!

Yeah it's open all day, they'll give you a leaflet saying when last bus is as you get on bus into city

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Parked in Cardiff East (catdiff city stadium) park and ride for the French game. £12 for the day. Got there around 12noon took around 1hr 10 from Llanelli. Very easy to get to from the M4.

Left around 10pm no traffic back in Llanelli in under an hour. It was open until 23:15 with last shuttle bus at 22:45.

That's Cardiff West surely? Doing exactly this myself. Staying in Rosslare tonight, boat in the morning at 8-something, then Llanelli tomorrow night and driving up for the games from there. Cardiff West looks dead handy right by the M4. Anyone doing similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Just a brief FYI on this location (this is taken from the travel advice email I received this morning!)
    Please note:
    Spectators who previously booked into Pentwyn / Cardiff East should note that their parking space has been relocated to The Wave, Pierhead Street, Cardiff Bay CF10 4PH. This permanent move has occurred due to the ongoing threat of industrial action by Cardiff Bus.

There is nothing you need to do as you have been automatically relocated to The Wave parking site. Please use your existing booking confirmation as proof of purchase.

I have booked the Wave also, so hopefully its as efficient as your experience last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MJD90

I see there's Category D tickets available for the semi but everytime I click on it it says they are unavailable? Are these snapped up and they haven't taken it down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Hitting the road now from galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

I see there's Category D tickets available for the semi but everytime I click on it it says they are unavailable? Are these snapped up and they haven't taken it down?

As with the technology used for the olympics, the user interface facade has no connection to the actual real-time availability of tickets. The list you see on the site is more than likely update manually.

The only time an actual check for ticket availability is done is when you attempt to add tickets to your basket. Very frustrating, I know. The line where they say "the tickets might be in someone else's basket" might be correct, but only in the minority of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I was f5'ing this morning every few seconds when they popped up first on a very strong internet connection and still no availability. I literally could not have clicked on them quicker. Couldn't even buy a single ticket.

Farce of a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi lads,

For anyone that has already attended a game in Cardiff ....is there much of a buzz around the team hotel a few hours before the match? Is it worth heading there to see them off (i.e. like the setup with the Shelbourne for home games)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 J_KALL_

This Wednesday I landed myself a ticket to see the boys in green over in Cardiff. Great news yes, until you have to book everything last minute. In fairness I’ve sorted myself pretty well I got a flight out on the Saturday, a place to stay on the Sunday and a lift home on the Monday to add to the ever important ticket!

The problem I face is some place to stay on the Saturday, I know theres thousands heading over in similar situations but just wondering if anyone is on there way today or tomorrow with an extra bit of room on the floor be in camper van or wherever there staying. I’ll pay for floor space or even make a donation to a chosen charity it thats more favourable.

Chancer I know but sure look if you don’t ask you don’t get!

#COYBIG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

And the journey to Cardiff begins again!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Anyone driving to Holyhead on Sunday night for the 2am boat?

Happy to significantly contribute towards petrol, coffees, etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

J_KALL_ wrote: »
    This Wednesday I landed myself a ticket to see the boys in green over in Cardiff. Great news yes, until you have to book everything last minute. In fairness I’ve sorted myself pretty well I got a flight out on the Saturday, a place to stay on the Sunday and a lift home on the Monday to add to the ever important ticket!

The problem I face is some place to stay on the Saturday, I know theres thousands heading over in similar situations but just wondering if anyone is on there way today or tomorrow with an extra bit of room on the floor be in camper van or wherever there staying. I’ll pay for floor space or even make a donation to a chosen charity it thats more favourable.

Chancer I know but sure look if you don’t ask you don’t get!

#COYBIG

We've rented a Transit van that we are sleeping in on Saturday night. The drivers seat will be free if you are really stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi lads,

For anyone that has already attended a game in Cardiff ....is there much of a buzz around the team hotel a few hours before the match? Is it worth heading there to see them off (i.e. like the setup with the Shelbourne for home games)

They've stayed in the Marriott so far and there will be a big crowd milling about downstairs but the team sneak out the back to the bus and the bus starts behind a high wall etc. You don't see the lads until they drive out through the few windows that you can see into.

I went to the Radisson after the French match (2 mins from back of Marriott) and it was a who's who there. Met the bull Hayes, Quinlan, George Gregan and Yachvili.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mattamoo

Anyone need to share a taxi from cardiff to swansea tomorrow night?? We've 2 spaces in a mini bus, would be £30 each :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Leslie91 wrote: »
    They've stayed in the Marriott so far and there will be a big crowd milling about downstairs but the team sneak out the back to the bus and the bus starts behind a high wall etc. You don't see the lads until they drive out through the few windows that you can see into.

I went to the Radisson after the French match (2 mins from back of Marriott) and it was a who's who there. Met the bull Hayes, Quinlan, George Gregan and Yachvili.

Nice one - thanks for the info Leslie!

Advertisement