Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to connect to certain websites

Options
  • 04-06-2014 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

On numerous sites I get an error about being unable to connect to server while browsing. A number of apps on my iPhone also fail to connect to the internet. This also happens with my wife's phone and in another estate but possibly the same exchange my friend has also experienced difficulties with his connection. The routers seem to be working, all green lights, but if I switch to 3G I have no problems on wifi I do. It's efibre by the way. In Ennis. Any problems in the area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

dellWlan wrote: »
    On numerous sites I get an error about being unable to connect to server while browsing. A number of apps on my iPhone also fail to connect to the internet. This also happens with my wife's phone and in another estate but possibly the same exchange my friend has also experienced difficulties with his connection. The routers seem to be working, all green lights, but if I switch to 3G I have no problems on wifi I do. It's efibre by the way. In Ennis. Any problems in the area?
    Getting the exact same issue. (Also efibre)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Same here. Midleton. Going on since Saturday. I tried it out using WiFi on iPad, then when it can't load the site, change to 3G and it works fine. Also stopping app updates and iTunes purchases. Changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and it seems to be ok now for the last hour. On eFibre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭danindub

whiterebel wrote: »
    Same here. Midleton. Going on since Saturday. I tried it out using WiFi on iPad, then when it can't load the site, change to 3G and it works fine. Also stopping app updates and iTunes purchases. Changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and it seems to be ok now for the last hour. On eFibre too.
    Interesting, since the weekend I noticed some website's CSS styles seem to be not loading correctly. No problem on 3G. eFibre in Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

same problem with eFibre in Killarney. Looks like a DNS error, seems mostly to be happening with sub-domains.

@WhiteRebel how do you change the DNS settings? Was it on the router or the iPad?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Same problem here in Dundalk. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Biscuit80

Same issues in Shannon too

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 seems to work as a temporary fix - thanks!

Log into the router, go to Broadband, then Edit. Change the DNS from automatic to 8.8.8.8 then save. You will get the "in progress" icon for quite a long time. Then disconnect and reconnect your computer to the router. Everything should be OK then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Red Alert wrote: »
    Changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 seems to work as a temporary fix - thanks!

Log into the router, go to Broadband, then Edit.  Change the DNS from automatic to 8.8.8.8 then save.  You will get the "in progress" icon for quite a long time.  Then disconnect and reconnect your computer to the router.  Everything should be OK then.
    Thanks Red Alert, I was looking for where to change these settings on the router, but I couldn't find it in the "extensive" documentation and manuals that came with the router :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

dmeehan wrote: »
    same problem with eFibre in Killarney. Looks like a DNS error, seems mostly to be happening with sub-domains.

@WhiteRebel how do you change the DNS settings? Was it on the router or the iPad?
    Sorry, I didn't see your reply.  iPad first, then the router. All seems ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Sharp2012

Had the same problem the other day and changed the DNS settings on the router to get DNS settings from eircom and everything has been perfect since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dellWlan

Sharp2012 wrote: »
    Had the same problem the other day and changed the DNS settings on the router to get DNS settings from eircom and everything has been perfect since

DNS settings from eircom? Not the google ones?

DNS settings from eircom? Not the google ones?

No there was an option to get them from eircom so I clicked on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

Same issue in Drogheda. 

No there was an option to get them from eircom so I clicked on that one

The only option I got was in network settings then DNS I was able to add the google public DNS settings there. Fingers crossed it improves things.

The only option I got was in network settings then DNS I was able to add the google public DNS settings there. Fingers crossed it improves things.

If you click on home network there is an option in there for DNS too and then reboot the router

If you click on home network there is an option in there for DNS too and then reboot the router

That had been set to dynamic and when I went into dynamic dns settings it was there as disabled so I assumed the whole thing was bypassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi All,

While it is best to contact technical support in relation to this issue (1890260260) I have noticed a post which might indeed help you resolve this issue, the post can be found here: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057224010

Thanks

Al

Advertisement