Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home power consumption

Options
  • 04-06-2014 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys, I have a question about my home power comsumption, I'm pretty eager to cut down on the bill.

I've listened to advice and will pack my freezer with empty cardboard boxes to cut down on that, I will turn the TV and HiFi off at the wall instead of the button.

I'll make sure chargers & any cables with power adaptors attached are plugged out to not use power.

I have a USB adaptor I bought for my PC but I keep it on the kitchen table (heart of the home) plugged into the wall so everybody can charge their phones etc with ease. Is that using more power than if they used the wall adaptors?

Also would I be considered crazy to turn off all non-essential switches on my fuse board at night/going out?

Don't call me crazy, I'm just a bit broke o.O

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

How much is your average bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Adam.S

Should be 80-90 for this time of year but it's 140+ unless the rates went up that much? I have a few more electronics in house but am plugging them out, bill jumped up around October when I got a new Gas boiler (couldn't be that?) and my big freezer started to be empty.

How many in your house and do you use say the immersion, dryer alot?
    Have you any form of electrical heating that you use?

Dryer would be used severa times a week at times from 30 mins - 2 hours.
    Have a unit in kitchen where I set hot water and heating, hot water hour to hour and a half a day, heating prob about 3 hours throughout the day.
    No electrical heating, double glazed windows, well insulated home.

Your bill sounds high for sure, its very unlikely your gas boiler is the culprit. You mention your freezer I often see fridge freezers that be running all the time, they get low on gas. Have you noticed your freezer running excessively?

• Advertisement

Define excessively, it's always empty but never over-iced.. it's a samsung american style fridge freezer

It running for say longer than 10 minutes, is yours a silver fridge with water and ice dispenser?

Yeah it runs 24/7, shouldn't all freezers? Black fridge with water & ice, not that I ever use the water or ice dispenser

Some of them were problematic, when you say it runs 24/7 can you hear it running all the time?

Ummm, I guess so? I've never evaluated that, It runs pretty silently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I suggest getting one of these, very useful in tracking energy usage. Used it to debug a faulty bio waste system in the house.

http://www.theowl.com/index.php/energy-monitors/standalone-monitors/owl-usb/

Advertisement