Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chest waiders

Options
  • 04-06-2014 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

I seem to be wasting my time buying chest waiders in the last 2 years I'm after going through 2 sets of Ron Thompson and last night my set of behr gave way right at the boot

I'm thinking of going back to the thigh waider but the chest waider is handy for sitting down on the wet grass and obviously makes easier waiding

Anyone having same problem ? Or recommend a good set of waiders that won't break bank

I know I get the normal pin hole leaks and whatever from thorns and whatever but I'm on about the actual waider giving way now not leaks I put in it as they are easily repaired

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I am using Cabelas own brand for the last 5yrs. Use every weekend salt and fresh, through bush and brier and they have never leaked, same with their jackets.
    If you know someone in the States or that is visiting send it to their address and they can bring them back in their luggage. You should spend 200+ on them, buy a good pair and they will last yrs buy a cheap pair and replace them every 2.
    I bought these in 2009 CABELA'S GUIDEWEAR PRO WELDED WADER LARGE STONE/GRAY @ $234.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

The main reason waders fail is that they are poorly fitted.
    If they are in any way tight when you sit then the seams will fail.
    You need to try different sizes and styles and see which fits best.

Bw

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

There is a chap in UK who repairs waders - he can change stocking feet, re do seams etc. I have not personally used him but know people who have.

https://sites.google.com/site/wadersrepairs/home/costs

I have gone through 3 sets of Vision waders in about 14 years and I wear them hard - in the sea, walked up to 15km per day in Iceland in 2012 in them through all sorts of terrain. My latest are Ikons and have had them about 2 years. They have a re-enforced layer from the knee down - the dogs dodas. If I get 4-5 years out waders for €250 odd I think that is money well spent.

I wouldn't be into spending €500+ on Simms or that. I would echo the post above about getting the right fit and Vision come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

whelzer wrote: »
    There is a chap in UK who repairs waders - he can change stocking feet, re do seams etc. I have not personally used him but know people who have.

https://sites.google.com/site/wadersrepairs/home/costs

I have gone through 3 sets of Vision waders in about 14 years and I wear them hard - in the sea, walked up to 15km per day in Iceland in 2012 in them through all sorts of terrain. My latest are Ikons and have had them about 2 years. They have a re-enforced layer from the knee down - the dogs dodas. If I get 4-5 years out waders for €250 odd I think that is money well spent.

I wouldn't be into spending €500+ on Simms or that. I would echo the post above about getting the right fit and Vision come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

I've had a pair of breathable waders repaired by Dave and would recommend him, no point doing it with a cheap pair though.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I don't really want to spend 200e or so as if they fail I think id lose the plot ha ha

I got a voucher for tackle shop in cork so will be buying in there just won't be Ron Thompson or behr , they could order in anything I wanted within reason id say 150 max I'll spend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Get a pair of thigh waders so and a long jacket.

Isnt there a saying buy well,buy once. If you cant afford a good set of chesties then there is no point buying the same set every 2yrs. Buy thigh waders now and save for a good set of chest waders, or use the US option.

stylie wrote: »
    Get a pair of thigh waders so and a long jacket.

Isnt there a saying buy well,buy once. If you cant afford a good set of chesties then there is no point buying the same set every 2yrs. Buy thigh waders now and save for a good set of chest waders, or use the US option.

I can afford it no problem I just don't want to spend that much on a pair of waiders ha ha

I'm strongly thinking about thigh waiders but I know I'll need to cross the river at some stage and won't be able to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

If the voucher is for dans in the halfway get a set of vass tex waders off him. €110 i think and good value for that. Their a tad heavy for day time use in the summer but very good quality.

If the voucher is for dans in the halfway get a set of vass tex waders off him. €110 i think and good value for that. Their a tad heavy for day time use in the summer but very good quality.

.red. wrote: »

It's in tw Murray's but as I said I know them well they would order anything in within reason

Must call in tmw for a chat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I generally get Sierra breathables and find they last well. I always get the stocking feed option and wear wading boots. The boot type ones do tend to go at the boot seam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Can anyone suggest (or post a link) reasonably priced large boot sized waders. Have tried a few shops of late and they seem to stop at 11 or 12. I'm a 13 so finding it hard to replace my last pair.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest (or post a link) reasonably priced large boot sized waders. Have tried a few shops of late and they seem to stop at 11 or 12. I'm a 13 so finding it hard to replace my last pair.
    The Vass go to a 13. Not sure if dan lynch has them in stock that big tho. Give him a ring and find out. Hed probably order them in if he doesnt.

After reading up about the vaas they seem to tick the boxes for me I was going to head in to Murray's today but not going to now with this weather , I will wait until the morning and hopefully they will order them in for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9 roachbhoy

You cant beat the breathable chest waders for comfort but they wear out quickly in the crotch area and the seams on the inside of the legs so I wouldn't expect to get more than a couple of seasons out of a pair of breathables from the cheaper end of the market, the top of the range Simms and Patagonia waders are reinforced in the legs and crotch but expect to pay €500 plus but if you're on a budget and want a cheap pair of bombproof waders that will last you years the Ocean PVC waders are just the ticket but you will sweat like a cat in a Chinese takeaway in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I live near diver Dave who repairs the waders here in scotland and watched him test a pair of mine last night. I couldn't believe how much they were leaking! All along every seam basically...
    His little back garden shed business seams :) to have grown dramatically in recent years, hundreds of waders hanging up in various stages of repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Auldloon wrote: »
    I live near diver Dave who repairs the waders here in scotland and watched him test a pair of mine last night. I couldn't believe how much they were leaking! All along every seam basically...
    His little back garden shed business seams :) to have grown dramatically in recent years, hundreds of waders hanging up in various stages of repair.

I too have used "diver" dave in the past to repair my breathables. I Hate neoprenes and have never had more than a single season out of a pair, ever.

A tip for detecting where leaks are coming from in breathables is by turning them inside out and filling with water with a garden hose while hanging said waders up. Be careful though as they get quite heavy when filled with water. Any leaking seams or pin prick holes should be visible as droplets leaking through the material. Circle with a marker then apply some Aquasure which is available from most tackle shops or online and you're good to go!

Well after getting the last pair I had repaired (behr ) it is that time again as they are really showing their age now as I was wearing them for most of winter

I'm strongly thinking of going all out on a pair of waiders this time but a friend has suggested ocean heavy duty with studded boot he reckons they will nearly outlast himself and only cost around 100e , any suggestions ??

If you have a few bob spare look up "bassboots". Youd do well to find a poor review which is rare for a pair of waders. Not cheap but anyone who has them reckon their exceptional value for money.

I was going to get a pair of vision waiders and popped down to Dan's he assured me the vaas ones will suit me better and will last me as long if not longer than the dearer ones so I got a pair

Will be out Saturday again chasing some silver so I'll give an update then

• Advertisement

Ebay is your friend here. Get any fishing clothing in from the US.

As with most things in this country we are being ripped off bigtime.

After a quick google....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simms-Freestone-Stockingfoot-Wader-/171644869660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27f6d4dc1c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orvis-Mens-Encounter-Wader-/381125447448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item58bcd8cf18

Both good waders.
    If using in seawater they wont last. Its as simple as that. I get a couple of years out of waders at most. Granted i wear them almost everyday from April-December.
    Those Simms ones in the first link are decent for the price. Just message the seller to see if they will ship to Ireland. they normally do once you cover it. Ask them or any retailer to mark down the value to avoid Irish Customs. DONT USE FED EX or you will be hit with full excise duty and a handling fee. Best to use normal US postal service. better chance of getting in without being checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tipprobb

Has anybody ever tried waist waders? I need a pair of waders
    and have no idea what type to buy. I think I will just go for thigh
    waders.

I'm using the vaas 700 series now last few days can't complain, comfortable and keep me dry , and I have a habit of fishing I'n the most awkward places ha , seem very tough and don't mind a few thorn bushes :)

Advertisement