Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Night Life

Options
  • 04-06-2014 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi, myself and the boyfriend are heading to Cork City for my birthday in August, Im 23 and hes 22, where's the best places to head too?, pubs and clubs preferably. Thanks!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Hi, myself and the boyfriend are heading to Cork City for my birthday in August, Im 23 and hes 22, where's the best places to head too?, pubs and clubs preferably. Thanks!!!

On the long weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Rebecca Gleeson

Yes 4 days:)

Yes 4 days:)

Long weekend will be mental down here. What hotel are ye staying in

We were going staying in the commons inn but found something in the city for a lot cheaper in shandon

• Registered Users Posts: 20 timtim1988

would that be the maldron?

• Advertisement

Paddy wagons hostel in the Shandon area, in not familiar with the are myself

*area

that area is very rough these days alot of junkies hang around up there i wouldnt stay there for all the money in the world to be honest rebecca.at least the hotel is alot safer i definatly wouldnt stay in a hostel up there.

Ohh god, id be fair put off now, hotel we were going for is on the new mallow road, think it use to be called commons road?.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

timtim1988 wrote: »
    that area is very rough these days alot of junkies hang around up there i wouldnt stay there for all the money in the world to be honest rebecca.at least the hotel is alot safer i definatly wouldnt stay in a hostel up there.

It's not that bad in fairness.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't know cork, should have looked up the area first. :|

Keep away from shandon street any ways!

The commons isn't in town either you'd be gettin taxis in and out! In town off the top of my head you have the Maldron, jury's inn, clarion the river lee hotel theyd all be walking distance too town...

the commons isnt to far out of town either maybe a fiver in a cab and is prob cheaper than staying in town.

timtim1988 wrote: »
    the commons isnt to far out of town either maybe a fiver in a cab and is prob cheaper than staying in town.

More then that. Minimum fare these days seems around 7 quid. 7 into town and out is €14 round trip if they do this say 6 times over the 4 days thats €84 quid!

Id say we should have stuck with the commons, feck it!, thanks for the replies anyways lads, so.... Good pubs and clubs in the city?.

Id say we should have stuck with the commons, feck it!, thanks for the replies anyways lads, so.... Good pubs and clubs in the city?.

Please don't tell me you've paid for the hostel etc already? It's no exaggeration tho that shandon street is FULL of junkies. Ye can't walk around up there on yer own and most hostels are down alleys wgere the junkie loiter drinking shooting up

I would never walk back to where we are staying anyways, especially when i don't know the area, have to save a fortune by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That hostel isn't in a great area, it's ok but you'd need your wits about you and you would definitely need a taxi at night time.
    Commons Inn is nice but a little far out, again taxi out.

I've often recommended Lancaster Lodge (western road, next to the old jurys) to friends and they've enjoyed it.
    If you cancel the hostel and not lose cash I'd do that, as someone suggested the Maldron is a good option (2 minutes away from your hostel but on a main road so a safer option).

I would never walk back to where we are staying anyways, especially when i don't know the area, have to save a fortune by the sounds of it.

It's a really old part of the city and I brought friends too a hostel up there (can't member the name) years ago that I couldn't drive up to theyd too walk from the road up a lane too it I warned them about staying there, 3 hours later they were in town looking for a new place too stay

Gave credit card details, silly me forgot to ask about whether you have to pay a fee to cancel.

• Advertisement

good clubs and pubs would be voodoo rooms(club) and the thomand bar is a good bar for some food and a few drinks moving onto somewere like the old oak or the rob roy afterwards would be good.stay away from the likes of reardons and havanas.load of ****e to be honest

Lancaster lodge or the brú even be cheap too

**** what if i cant get a refund, id hate to see nearly 200 quid down the drain, i did look up hotels when we decided on cork but there nearly 400 quid.

get on to the bru bar there a hostel in the city centre and are reasonable.say to the hostel u do have booked that you cant make it to cork that weekend over work.worst case they should only charge you for one nights stay as you have gotten onto them early

God im so stupid why didn't i check reviews of the area

God im so stupid why didn't i check reviews of the area

Ring your bank and see has your card been charged yet. If not cancel the card and order the new one. 2 people for 4 nights in cork on the long week for under 400 isn't bad!

The hotel we were going for was 205 10 euro for breakfast, hostel is around 180 euro. THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS GUYS MUCH APPRECIATED :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

I'd have no problem walking up or down Shandon Street during the day, and going back in a taxi at night. You'd swear there was junkies with needles hanging out of their arms lining the streets the way some people go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ive never seen a junkie in Cork. Shandion street is not all that bad. Nicer areas around certainly, but far from the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭socco

**** what if i cant get a refund, id hate to see nearly 200 quid down the drain, i did look up hotels when we decided on cork but there nearly 400 quid.

If you've already booked the hotel then honestly I'd suggest staying with it. People are making the area sound worse than it is you'll be fine staying there.

Advertisement